• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confessions of a Novelty Confection Fiend

jhlurie

How about a peanut butter and banana sandwich? No really, I love them.

But I'm also a big fan of peanut butter with chocolate.

In England, you can (could?) get both Mars bars and M&Ms with hazelnuts. The M&Ms were in a purple bag.

I grew up on peanut butter and banana sandwiches. I have fond memories, but don't care to eat them now.

Mars bars: what were originally called "Mars Dark" and are now "Midnight." Dark chocolate. Still cheap chocolate, still awful, but at least not quite as sweet. :smile:

M&Ms with HAZELNUTS?????? I'm moving across the pond!!!!!! Until then, the version with almonds are good enough. :laugh:

But I just can't cotton up to peanut & chocolate. Several years ago, I was having a totally horrible day -- left a doctor's appointment at which the Dr. could not figure out AT ALL why my hearing was suddenly intermittently disappearing, and stopped at a wonderful store where I bought at gorgeous brownie to cheer myself up. Unwrapping the brownie and biting into it on the bus home, I discovered it had PEANUTS in it! :shock::angry::sad::shock::angry::sad::shock::angry::sad:

You understand?

I ate the double berry kitkats today,

man are they good! :biggrin:

chocolate and berries are really a match made in heaven.

much, much better then the past kitkat tries (banana, orange, and pineapple)

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I just bought 7-11's Slurpee Infused Gum, Frostilla Vanilla. It tastes like a cross between candy corn and marshmallows, or like the stick in Lik.M.Dip. Flavor fleeting. It's formed like Freshen Up, or cum gum.

I just bought 7-11's Slurpee Infused Gum, Frostilla Vanilla.  It tastes like a cross between candy corn and marshmallows, or like the stick in Lik.M.Dip.  Flavor fleeting.  It's formed like Freshen Up, or cum gum.

question...

do you guys smoke a lot of herb? :biggrin:

the freshen up gum statement was too much :laugh:

2317/5000

Masterfoods USA, formerly known as M&M/Mars, will launch a new Snickers Marathon bar this fall, designed to be an energy bar that tastes like the candy.

The Associated Press notes that sales of energy and nutrition bars are up about 14 percent in the last year to nearly $600 million, and that Masterfoods USA wants a piece of that action.

The two-ounce Marathon bars will come in chewy chocolate peanut and multi-grain crunch, both tasting like chocolate, peanuts and caramel, and fortified with 16 vitamins and minerals and has about 10 grams of a special protein blend.

• 1 month later...

Just out of curiousity (and because I had read about them on egullet :rolleyes: ) I picked up some of the Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans at Border's today. All I can say is it's an entertaining idea in the Harry Potter books. Do not try this at home! The sardine flavor was so vile I spit the stupid thing out rather than have to swallow it.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Those pocketpacks are handy as well, and so powerful that they almost border on painful the first few times you have them.  I like to carry one type of breath freshener in my pocket and these strips are nice just for their compact size, even if I don't use them very often.

...They have a sexual application, too.

... or so I've heard. (cough)

Um, topic. I live by a motherlode of a candy store in NYC, and it was there I picked up on a British Isles thing called "Wine Gums"; basically, gummy candy in what is intended to be various wine flavorings.

I don't think they're all that authentic. I've been trying to get my SO (a sommelier) to try them but somehow he's never around when I've had a roll, so I can't vouch for their authenticity. But they're not bad, in and of themselves.

Edited by Callipygos (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing beats a cold Milky Way.

For those of you that don't eat sweets, does that mean absolutely NO sweets? Like what about a small slice of banana nut bread? Or a carrot muffin? Or maybe a bagel with cream cheese?

hmm..i'm kinda lucky cuz my favorite grocery store has imported chocolate from all over the place - including british cadbury, so i get all the flakes i want!

my favorites tho, would have to be fruit and nuts, creme eggs, lindt strawberry, and milky ways.

i'm trying to track down my indian favorite - i thought it was made by cadbury, and really it's a sweet, not a candy bar - lactobonbons. was this a figment of my imagination, or did they really exist?

also on that aussie site - if you do a searhc for chocolate packs, they do have a box of 15 violet crumbles all by themselves.

Milky Way Midnight. I curse the day my friend in Philadelphia told me about it. Way too sweet, but the dark is great with it. And also the dark Kit Kat.

A third choice is for El Rey Milk chocolat bar.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Goldberg's Peanut Chews (Philly in the hizzouse!) :cool:

Growing up this was one of my favorites. I still remember my mom would buy them in the small box with the pink wrapping.

I have several favorite candy choices by country.

Israel - Egosi: chocolate, hazelnuts, caramel, and nougat. These are amazing frozen. They used to sell them at Wolsk on the lower east side. I would hoard them.

UK - Smarties. Realistically, I know the chocolate is lousy, but it reminds me of being a little kid and traveling throughout the British countryside with my parents. Whenever I'm London, it's one of the first things I buy.

And here at home, its peanut M&Ms. I love the the combination of chocolate and peanuts.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs