• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confessions of a Novelty Confection Fiend

jhlurie

Have not seen any new KitKats in these parts. However, my all-time favorite KitKat is the green tea one you can buy everywhere in Japan.

I recently ran across all-caramel Milky Ways miniatures. Nice oozy caramel.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

7 hours ago, kayb said:

Have not seen any new KitKats in these parts. However, my all-time favorite KitKat is the green tea one you can buy everywhere in Japan.

I see the Green Tea KitKat at H-Mart sometimes and pick them up for Cat Son - Cat Son is NOT a green tea fan ~ of course, given his heritage - I demanded he take a maternity test! :laugh: - but he does love these green tea KitKats LOVES THEM! 

• Like 1

I have an EpiPen ... my friend gave it to me when he was dying ... it seemed very important to him that I have it ... 

• 1 month later...

"Kit Kat JUST Released Two Limited Edition Flavors"

...Kit Kat's new offering for Valentine's Day is Raspberry Creme Miniatures, two-bite wafer bars covered in pretty pink raspberry creme. Each bar is individually wrapped in hot pink packaging....

The Lemon Crisp Miniatures are in a slightly smaller bag (7.5-ounce) and have been spotted at Food Lion.

They've released so many different flavors this just seems ordinary now.

Has anyone tried them?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

OK, found the raspberry KitKats at ShopRite near my office. Will be easy to resist this one, the taste is very thin, almost "watery". There is very little raspberry flavor. Small sticks, around 2".

IMG_20200122_135435.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 1:58 PM, BeeZee said:

OK, found the raspberry KitKats at ShopRite near my office. Will be easy to resist this one, the taste is very thin, almost "watery". There is very little raspberry flavor. Small sticks, around 2".

IMG_20200122_135435.jpg

At least in NJ KitKats are not taxable.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

"Hershey’s Is Making Sugar Cookie-Flavored Kisses This Holiday Season"

...you should know about a new set of sugar cookie-flavored Hershey’s Kisses recently posted by @CandyHunting, who found out about them through some sort of premature posting on grocery chain Meijer’s website.

Wrapped in aluminum foil adorned with the kinds of shapes that often make up Christmas cookies, each special Kiss consists of a sugar cookie-flavored white creme, complete with red and green cookie pieces. 

I am not a big fan of "white chocolate". But I think I would try these (okay, maybe try one and take the rest to work so someone else could eat them :wink:).

If anyone sees them in the stores, please post.

• Sad 1

Tim Oliver

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Walked into Ralphs (Kroger) this morning greeted by the seasonal candy aisle and found my yearly favorite. The Russell Stover $ bar. I am not a candy person but this has such a melt on your tongue nostalgic feel. Miles and miles removed from waxy Hershey. 

rs choc.JPG

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

I tried three new confections and liked only one of them.

First off, I saw these first two candies at the checkout of my local grocery store:

"New M&Ms Mixes Combine Three Favorite Flavors in One Bag"

M&M's Mix bags will come in two varieties: Classic and Peanut.

The Classic mix features the brand's traditional flavors: classic milk chocolate, milk chocolate peanut, and peanut butter M&M's.

The Peanut mix will include milk chocolate peanut, white chocolate peanut, and dark chocolate peanut.

I tried both of these and was sorry to say the peanut Mix was a fail. Really, all you taste is the peanut. I suppose if you have a lot of one type of peanut M&M then you'll eventually be able to taste the flavor it's enrobed with but in these snack bags, it's really a paltry amount of candy. So if you like peanuts, maybe just buy peanuts and skip this mix.

The other mix, the Classic Mix, was much better because you could taste the enrobing chocolate. Still, it was a paltry amount in the bag, but enough you could tell they were different flavors. This candy was the one winner.

The third candy I tried was the Kit Kat Key Lime flavor (click). Sounds refreshing, doesn't it?

Unfortunately, it was another failure.

And I apologize for this description but it's what the candy tastes like to me: Sometimes when you walk into a Men's bathroom, the urinals contain a deodorant disk that has a distinct odor. This candy bar reminded me of that odor. :S

Not good. Also, very "fake" tasting. Not a winner. :(

• Sad 1

Tim Oliver

13 minutes ago, Toliver said:

The third candy I tried was the Kit Kat Key Lime flavor (click). Sounds refreshing, doesn't it?

Unfortunately, it was another failure.

And I apologize for this description but it's what the candy tastes like to me: Sometimes when you walk into a Men's bathroom, the urinals contain a deodorant disk that has a distinct odor. This candy bar reminded me of that odor. :S

Not good. Also, very "fake" tasting. Not a winner. :(

They had a big display of those at CVS today. Not s Kit Kat person and packaging is unappealing and sounds even worse. The smell would put me over the edge. I call that porta-potty scent. 

"Hershey’s Red, White & Blue Cookies ‘N’ Creme Bar Will Make The Most Patriotic S’mores"

All of us are looking forward to making s’mores this summer, right? Instead of using the typical chocolate bars that you’ll find in a s’mores kit, you can make the classic campfire dessert festive for Memorial Day, the 4th of July, and Labor Day with the Hershey’s Red, White & Blue Cookies ‘n’ Creme Bar.

It's a limited edition flavor. 

I don't think Hershey "gets it". S'Mores are made with chocolate bars, not white chocolate bars. White chocolate isn't even real chocolate...it's just sweet.

But I guess this is aimed at kids so it doesn't really matter.

Tim Oliver

Wandered into Hobby Lobby today, and found they had my favorite candy that I can't find much of anywhere any more -- chocolate cream drops.

old-fashion-chocolate-creme-drops-24oz-bag-5.jpg.4282cfe563f4f8bebfcd696abb6f49bf.jpg

I love them squashed flat and eaten atop cheddar cheese. Extremely sharp cheddar cheese. These were had on Dubliner for a late lunch.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

42 minutes ago, kayb said:

old-fashion-chocolate-creme-drops-24oz-bag-5.jpg.4282cfe563f4f8bebfcd696abb6f49bf.jpg

I love them squashed flat and eaten atop cheddar cheese. Extremely sharp cheddar cheese. These were had on Dubliner for a late lunch.

Happy to see another sweet + savory girl - I'd try

• Like 1

• Similar Content

• By ShylahSinger
      Hello! I'm fairly new to this site so I don't know if my search was weak. I'm trying to find a way to make Mandarin orange puree at home, but I couldn't find anything even similar in the forum. I am a home cook, but I have been making chocolate bonbons and other confections for over 4 years (intermitantly). It is too expensive for me to purchase this online- not because of the price of the puree, but the cost of shipping makes it prohibative. The recipes I've seen online are all differant and don't seem to be what I need. 
      I would love any help with this! I look forward to hearing and learning from those who have much, much more experience than me. Thanks!
    • By ShylahSinger
      Help! I am an amateur and make chocolate truffles, bonbons, and caramels for friends and family. I made some soft caramel for filling molded bonbons. The flavor and consistency are fine, but the caramel is filled with bubbles. I don't know how to get the air bubbles out, and am concerned using it in my molded chocolates. I would like to know if it is okay to use. I have been making confections for about four years and this is the first time this has happened. I would really appreciate any help! I'm new to the forum and don't know anyone yet.
    • By amyneill
      Hi all!! 
      I work at an amazing little New Zealand Style ice cream shop in the beautiful Denver Colorado. I was hoping to get a little help on the subject of adding fruit into ice cream after extracting it and ensuring that, when the ice cream is frozen, the fruity bits don't turn into rock hard shards. I am planning on doing a cherry chocolate ice cream and I was going to soak some dried cherries that we're no longer using for something else. I was planning on using some brandy and a ton of sugar, but I was really hoping someone had a tried and true method they could send my way so that I KNOW that the fruit will be luscious as it's frozen. If you have a certain sugar ratio. I know there is the brix test, but to be honest it's been many years since pastry school and I am very rusty. Would love to hear from some of my fellow sugar-heads. 
      Thank you!
      Amy

• By amyneill
      Hi all! I just wanted to pop in here and see if anyone had some advice on canning/jarring caramel sauce for ready-to-eat consumption. The ice cream shop I work at is putting together gift baskets for valentine's day and we wanted to toss in some caramel and fudge jars in to add some tasty treats. We have a recipe that works great in the shop in our squeeze bottles for topping the ice cream, however I don't have a ton of experience with the canning process to make it shelf stable and shippable. I've canned tomato sauce and salsa in the past, but my method wouldn't be efficient for canning hundreds of jars for consumption. What is your method for success? Does it all hinge on the sealing process, and if so what are your favorite (cost efficient) products? Do you know of a jar that is self sealing or more durable than others?
      Thanks for any suggestions! 
    • By no10
      Hello eGForums,

I'm curious if anyone has purchased these ganache and caramel ruler bars (https://www.tcfsales.com/products/658-ganache-and-caramel-ruler-bars-set-of-2-ea/) from TCF before or has experience with this company? Are they a reputable company?

It costs $87.96 (not including shipping) to purchase 4 stainless steel square bars, measuring 1/2" x 1/2" x 15" L, which seems like a reasonable price relative to other companies. Correct me if I'm wrong. Does anyone suggest other companies to purchase bars from?

On a related topic, I know that a possibly more affordable alternative would be to visit a local metal fabricator and purchase metal bars from them. My concern is purchasing bars that are made from an alloy and finish that is 'food-safe'. Does anyone know what grade/alloy and finish of stainless steel is 'food-safe'? Does anyone know what grade/alloy and finish of aluminum is 'food-safe'?