• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confessions of a Novelty Confection Fiend

jhlurie

Canada (or at least, Vancouver) seems to have all the candy bars that aren't available anymore in the States. We have 3 Musketeers and Charleston Chews.

What is a Clark bar?

Clark Bar: A Delicious, Crunchy, Peanut Butter center with a rich chocolatey coating. Clark Bars have

been produced for over 110 years. Our homemade peanut butter is the difference!

Mr. Clarkbar

I'm pretty sure that 3 Musketeers are distributed nationally in the US.

3 MUSKETEERS® Product Locator - US only

Gustatory illiterati in an illuminati land.

Sadly, the Delicia Bar is no longer being made.  Here's the list of favorites that are no longer with us:

Click here.

They didn’t mention the Marathon bar. Gone but not forgotten. They were great for takin out a filling or three.

--t

Yes, the original is gone. The name of the candy bar has an interesting history in Britain. Click here.

On the other hand, the Marathon may be making a comeback, sort of (which is related to the British ties to the candy bar): Click here.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Oh man,  i would KILL for a Star Bar right now.    or bubble gum Now and Laters.   I lived on those 20 years ago.

Now & Later's weren't really bubble gum. They were chewy taffy-like candy. You can order some from here. They also sell the smaller individual packages and different flavors. Do a site search to find all seven candies offered.

Alas, the Star Bar is on the "Boy, they were good but..." list posted here which means it's not being made anymore.

There is a Cadbury's Star Bar (still made in the UK) but I don't think that's the same thing.

Ah... so it's not the plain chocolate and caramel Marathon of my misguided yoot.  Well, maybe it's for the best, cause I don't think I want no protein on my caramel. :laugh:

Sorry, no.

The Marathon Bar is also listed as "deceased" on this web site.

edited to add 2nd quote/response

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

If you have ANY liking, any at all, for Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, go find a nice Halloween bag full of Reese's Inside Out Peanut Butter Cups. The reversal might seem to make no difference at all, but in actuality it does. The texture, the ORDER of the flavors is different, and pretty cool.

I haven't frozen one yet, but room temp they are worthy.

Click here for info on the last 5 "Special Edition" products from Reese's. The las before this, the Honey Roased variety, was actually pretty good too.

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

If you have ANY liking, any at all, for Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, go find a nice Halloween bag full of Reese's Inside Out Peanut Butter Cups.  The reversal might seem to make no difference at all, but in actuality it does.  The texture, the ORDER of the flavors is different, and pretty cool.

Is there any difference in the formulation or ingredients of the two items, or is it that the difference is entirely in the way the candy is experienced because the two items are reversed?

Gustatory illiterati in an illuminati land.

The Peanut Butter has been slightly hardened in some way to form the outer shell, although not too much. The chocolate inside is a bit more like fudge than chocolate. Overall the tastes are fairly similar to the original, but the change in both the order of eating them and the "amount" of each ingredient makes it a different eating experience.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

This is kind of a cross post because I touched on it in a different topic, but it fits in both.

Theres a big bowl of candy here in the office, and if I find the person who put it there, I'm going to hug them, then slap them. Evil person. I'll be bouncing in place for the next couple of hours. My head will be on the desk by 5.

Anyway, I grabbed the last Nestle Creamy Caramel Coffin. Basically a caramel filled chocolate piece. But the caramel, when tasted by itself, was far saltier than I would have imagined it would be. Not unpleasant - it reminds me of butterscotch. All together, an enjoyable piece of candy, but I was a little taken aback by the saltiness.

And unless I'm imagining things, there is a subtle spicy aftertaste. Back of the throat. Like cayenne, maybe.

I'm noticing more salt being added to desserts lately. Not that I mind, and salt was always added to certain things like butterscotch and toffee, but it's more pronounced. More spiciness as well. I don't know if it is stuff like cinnamon or clove or nutmeg (traditional "sweet" spices), or if it is actually cayenne, jalapeno, etc. It's just subtle enough to not be able to identify it, but you know it is there.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone besides me see Altoids Gum yet? The Altoids website doesn't even say it exists yet, but my local Seven-dash-Eleven had it. Very strong flavor, as expected.

I also finally found Swoops, the chocolate shaped like potato chips, sans actual potato. I got the Reese's variety--although they also had Plain Hersey's Chocolate, Almond Joy, and York Peppermint varieties. The concept works surprisingly well. In the Peanut Butter variety, the Peanut Butter is kind of blended into a ripple through the middle of the "chip".

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Oooooohh! Violet Crumble. Yumyumyum! And Forever Yours, aka bittersweet chocolate covered Milky Way.

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

I am currently stuck on eating Reeses Bits straight out of the freezer. I originally purchased them for some holiday baking (which is what they are designed for), but they are being wiped out regularly.

I don't eat much candy (although I will eat all chocolate if I have it) but when I have it around it seems to vanish.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Here is a link for all you nostalgic sorts

Old Time Candy

Neat-o site.

All of my favorites have been touched on.

I recall back in the late 70's before Toblerone could be found in the states, my Swiss cousins would bring the family a bar every time they visited. We savored each delicious triangle. It gets top billing for me. Chocolate AND honey... *swoon*

Then comes Bit-o-Honey and Skor, and Butterfingers and Violet Crumble.

I also adore fresh Havla.

And what about Chile and Watermelon suckers???

This is sort of new to me, but its popular with the Hispanic crowd. Imagine my surprise when I started sucking on this lollypop and realized there was actually chile powder involved? My first reaction was EW this is kinda like when dad put salt on watermelon. Wait, theres a peppery taste too. EW EW EW EW.

Hmm. *slurp* Hmmm. I love em and cant find them now. I can however, find a less refined treat that is a chile and mango sucker. Less refined cause the whole thing is coated in chile instead of just incorporated. Quite a nice change from the ordinary, and I love the sweet/hot combo!

I got some cookies a few months back that were chipotle-chocolate. A huge hit with me. Anyone else like chile with their sweet?

Edited to add: Mary-Janes!!!

Edited by nessa (log)

When I'm watching a movie or video at home I like to have Sno-Caps. It's just a thing; it's the only time I eat them. Malted milk balls are another favorite occasional treat. And Atomic Fireballs. Also an unusual Japanese candy called Super Lemon, which is lemon flavored with a layer of citric acid powder on the outside. There used to be a similar Super Cola candy, but it seems to be gone now.

If you can't find any Three Musketeers it's 'cus I've eaten them all.

When I was just out of school and had no money (as opposed to now, ha, ha) my friends and I liked to go to the old Borden factory in Cambridge (MA) and buy factory seconds for $1 a pound. It doesn't get much lower than that, really. Sadly, Necco later bought the factory and closed the factory store.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

Oooooohh!  Violet Crumble.  Yumyumyum!  And Forever Yours, aka bittersweet chocolate covered Milky Way.

Theabroma

Recently found Violet Crumble at World Market. mmmmm - one of my faves. What would the middle be? Sort of a buttery, caramelized sugar thing. Yum.

--therese

Many parts of a pine tree are edible.

Apparently, different companies make their own "crunchies".

Cadbury makes "Crunchies" which are for sale here.

And a bag of Irish mini "Crunchies" can be ordered here.

Not sure which "crunchies" were the ones you tasted...

The generic name for Crunchie is (wonderfully) Hokey Pokey.

The Chocolate Society in London (sorry - can't find their website at the moment) makes an upmarket chocolate hokey pokey. And the London restaurant Petrus serves hokey pokey on its bizarre upturned chandelier petits-fours trolley. This is about as posh as Crunchie gets.

Now & Later's weren't really bubble gum.  They were chewy taffy-like candy. 

yeah, but there was a bubble gum FLAVORED Now & Later and I think i could've existed solely on those in high school. I can still taste them...

Somebody asked what was in the centre of a Violet Crumble and it is honeycomb. The Crunchies have a more aerated honeycomb and the Violet Crumble has a more solid filling.

The bar actually was named after the wife of the manufacturer - Violet when it was made by Hoadleys/or Rowntree

I know there are many Aussies in Britain and they talk about Testas supermarkets etc?? not sure of the name.

British crunchies are available in the USA in the Brit sections of the supermarkets and even less expensive inthe Indian stores.

Violet crumbles: Jasons deli's in USA carry them and some world markets

• 4 months later...

I went to a movie earlier and for the first time saw these:

Junior Caramels.

I know this is an established candy in the U.K. (with the box shown on that website--the "American" Junior Caramels box looks a lot more like the American Junior Mints box), but it's pretty new here.

They taste a bit like Sugar Babies--yet a third product from Tootsie Roll Industries--but with the same chocolate coating on the outside as Junior Mints.

Elsewhere on eG, we've also recently been talking about Shrek M&M's. Had those today too.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Over spring break I found a store that sells Mallow Cups and Sky Bars. I'm down to one Sky Bar and two packages of Mallow Cups :shock:

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I like Mountain Bars, but NOT the peanut butter variety. The large peppermint patties are pretty good, too. And boy, those Italian Baci's are devine! Does anyone else like those chocolate oranges that you bang on the counter so that they separate into individual orange 'sections?' I prefer the dark chocolate orange- flavored kind.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks