• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confessions of a Novelty Confection Fiend

jhlurie

Maybe this has been mentioned already (sorry, I didn't read this whole thread):  Snickers ALMOND Bar!  All the good parts of a Snickers -- junky cheap milk chocolate, caramel, and "nougat" -- and yummy roasted almonds instead of the disgusting peanuts.

It seemed to me that the almonds were not evenly distributed, though; more at each end than in the middle.  Anyone know if this is a clever trick of candybar manufacturers?

Suzanne, you're making me feel bad for the peanuts!

Ice cream manufacturers definitely use this ploy so you'll be left with a 'lasting' impression of their ice cream. Doesn't work on me.

I actually love peanuts; I'm just very particular about how I'll eat them. I will eat them: all by themselves, roasted or boiled; as crunchy peanut butter (off a spoon only); in sate sauce; very finely chopped and sprinkled on Thai and Vietnamese salads and other such dishes. THAT'S IT. NO OTHER WAY. :angry:

Not in combination with chocolate or any other sweet. (I've never tried a PB and bacon sandwich, but the bacon might make it all right.) I loathe peanut butter cookies. I mean, I'll eat them to be polite, but I would never go out of my way for them.

I didn't mean to slight the poor peanuts. They have my sympathy too, for being put in such an uncomfortable position.

How about a peanut butter and banana sandwich? No really, I love them.

But I'm also a big fan of peanut butter with chocolate.

In England, you can (could?) get both Mars bars and M&Ms with hazelnuts. The M&Ms were in a purple bag.

I grew up on peanut butter and banana sandwiches. I have fond memories, but don't care to eat them now.

Mars bars: what were originally called "Mars Dark" and are now "Midnight." Dark chocolate. Still cheap chocolate, still awful, but at least not quite as sweet. :smile:

M&Ms with HAZELNUTS?????? I'm moving across the pond!!!!!! Until then, the version with almonds are good enough. :laugh:

But I just can't cotton up to peanut & chocolate. Several years ago, I was having a totally horrible day -- left a doctor's appointment at which the Dr. could not figure out AT ALL why my hearing was suddenly intermittently disappearing, and stopped at a wonderful store where I bought at gorgeous brownie to cheer myself up. Unwrapping the brownie and biting into it on the bus home, I discovered it had PEANUTS in it! :shock::angry::sad::shock::angry::sad::shock::angry::sad:

You understand?

I ate the double berry kitkats today,

man are they good! :biggrin:

chocolate and berries are really a match made in heaven.

much, much better then the past kitkat tries (banana, orange, and pineapple)

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I just bought 7-11's Slurpee Infused Gum, Frostilla Vanilla. It tastes like a cross between candy corn and marshmallows, or like the stick in Lik.M.Dip. Flavor fleeting. It's formed like Freshen Up, or cum gum.

Masterfoods USA, formerly known as M&M/Mars, will launch a new Snickers Marathon bar this fall, designed to be an energy bar that tastes like the candy.

The Associated Press notes that sales of energy and nutrition bars are up about 14 percent in the last year to nearly $600 million, and that Masterfoods USA wants a piece of that action.

The two-ounce Marathon bars will come in chewy chocolate peanut and multi-grain crunch, both tasting like chocolate, peanuts and caramel, and fortified with 16 vitamins and minerals and has about 10 grams of a special protein blend.

• 1 month later...

Just out of curiousity (and because I had read about them on egullet :rolleyes: ) I picked up some of the Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans at Border's today. All I can say is it's an entertaining idea in the Harry Potter books. Do not try this at home! The sardine flavor was so vile I spit the stupid thing out rather than have to swallow it.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

• 3 weeks later...

hmm..i'm kinda lucky cuz my favorite grocery store has imported chocolate from all over the place - including british cadbury, so i get all the flakes i want!

my favorites tho, would have to be fruit and nuts, creme eggs, lindt strawberry, and milky ways.

i'm trying to track down my indian favorite - i thought it was made by cadbury, and really it's a sweet, not a candy bar - lactobonbons. was this a figment of my imagination, or did they really exist?

also on that aussie site - if you do a searhc for chocolate packs, they do have a box of 15 violet crumbles all by themselves.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're a Kit Kat fan and find yourself in Norway, try Freia's Kvikk Lunsj. It's better than the British Kit Kat, and far better than the US Kit Kat, in particular in terms of the quality of the chocolate. The retro-coloured wrappers are also extremely cool.

Anyone tried Sour Skittles?  Talk about sour - they will make your face do stuff that your face has never done before... :blink:

Love the sour skittles. They're one of the last hold outs for keeping "green = lime". I hate the "green = green apple" thing. It's just such a disappointment to grab a green sucker and have it be apple. But that's just me.

As for chocolate like candy bars, I love Mallo Cups. Awful hard to find though.

-therese

Many parts of a pine tree are edible.

I love crunchies. I think they are English or something. But it's chocolate covered honeycomb and it is DIVINE. Hard to find though.  And I love Zero's also. Once again hard to find.

You never know what you will find with a Google search. The wording is always tricky. I kept getting a cookie recipe when looking for "crunchies". But put an "English candy" before the "crunchies" and you will get what you're looking for. Ta-Da!

Apparently, different companies make their own "crunchies".

Cadbury makes "Crunchies" which are for sale here.

And a bag of Irish mini "Crunchies" can be ordered here.

Not sure which "crunchies" were the ones you tasted...

And I got yer Zero's right here: Zero's on groovycandies.com

Yer welcome! :biggrin:

Edited to add: Anyone looking for candy from their youth can try this place first.

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

As for chocolate like candy bars, I love Mallo Cups.  Awful hard to find though.

Mallo Cups

Edited to add: Sorry for the double post.

Edited by Toliver (log)

Tim Oliver

I was reminded of one of my all but forgotten favorites - the Zero bar, by a previous post.

I usually only eat candy at holidays - Christmas, Valentine's Day, Halloween etc. In the summer I'm more inclined to an ice cream cone or cookies.

Until, the other day, I was drawn to the full aisle's expanse of candy at the drugstore. There in its silver and blue wrapper, the long forgotten Zero bar jumped out at me. (This is in New England, not the Midwest.) I couldn't even wait. I ate it in the car on the way home from work!

Problem was it was too sweet. I almost couldn't finish it. Guess some things are better left in the memory bank. :sad: Doubt I'll ever crave one of those again.

I like two bars that have ceased to be - Milkshake and Caravelle.

Alas, yes, they have both gone to Candy Bar Heaven.

You can catch a glimpse of the Caravelle wrapper here, though I'm sure that's poor consolation for you.

Edited to add: here's another Caravelle wrapper...looks like it's from later years.

The Milkshake (I remember it, too!) is on the list of discontinued food items from our youth found here. I was saddened to see Sugar Mommas on the list. :sad:

Edited by Toliver (log)

Tim Oliver