• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

jhlurie

Confessions of a Novelty Confection Fiend

419 posts in this topic

Cmon, no chocolate...you're killing me...nothing sweet...do you like champagne even? :unsure:

Champagne not so much. A few sips are fine, and then with best beluga for me to enjoy it for a few seconds, but I'd really prefer a good frozen vodka. And insist on one after another sip.

(I know Special K does not understand this but hope he forgives me, but desserts disgust me. A sorbet is only of interest if it's savoury and melded with the other courses.)

Anyway I know, I'm a bad person for not liking sweets of course, of course. I know this and live burdened with this knowledge like Cain marked above the beezer. I didn't mean to interrupt the topic. Was just being sociable.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

what kind of steak, and how do you cook it...

We have steak once a week and what I do...

prime filet from Omaha Steaks Private reserve(very expensive...but good 6 for 90$) or prime from Whole Foods and I sear it w high heat in sautee pan and then fininsh in oven for med rare...serve w port rosemary sauce...better than sex...ok maybe not, but close... :laugh:

Mounds.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

I never used to eat chocolate, but after having kids I crave it close to every day. I usually reach for M&M's, but if I go for a candy bar it will be a Kit Kat. My favorite bar of all times though was the Summit bar, it was out for a short time in the '80's, sometimes I still dream about it!

<p><strong>Kristin Wagner</strong>, aka "torakris"

Manager, Membership

<a class="bbc_email" href="mailto:kwagner@egstaff.org" title="E-mail Link">kwagner@egstaff.org</a></p>

My all time favorite candy is Viennese Butter Crunch. I can never go through O'hare withoout buying a bagful at one of those Aunty whatever candy shoppees.

Commercial candy bars I avoid, but Almond Joys will get me in a pinch.

Posted also on the English Toffee thread, but thought it was relevant here

S

In between bouts of drug induced sleep on the flight back from the US on Sunday, I caught a glimpse of a programme about a firm that sells goodie bags of candies ( that's sweets to us on the civilised side of the pond ) from the 50's, 60's and 70's. Things that are now very hard to find and in some cases ( sky bars - I think ) some that have only one machine still making them so are very limited.

Now I think most US sweets are pretty grim ( No Spangles, no Lucky Dips, no Sherbet Fountains, no Sky Ray Lollies = No life ) but I thought, given the age demographic of our US contingent, you may be interested to see.

Here's the link

http://www.groovycandies.com/

S

I'm also a woman with no chocolate gene and I eat very few sweet things. Steak is my number one food to eat. When I want junk food, it's chips.

Marlene

cookskorner

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

No. I'm a female with no chocolate gene at all. And concentrated sugar disgusts me. A dry wine or sake is sweet enough. More than that and feh.

But, really. Steak slices to go go go.

You must have some Asian blood in you. My mom was the same way until her kidney transplant - not it's krispy kremes, cinnamon rolls, and blueberry muffins

cadbury flake when I can find it

Chunkie--haven't thought about those in years, they were good! Do they still make them?

I'm not much into bars (although I sued to eat those those joyva chocolate covered jelly bars and chocolate covered halvah bars) but I do like upscale chocolate, mainly dark or bittersweet. Not crazy about milk chocolate, and don't like white chocolate.

Working with people who frequesnly visit Europe gives me occasional access to some interesting sweets. there was a box of Maxin's Of Paris chocolates in the office last week, but i wasn't crazy about it.

-Jason

cadbury flake when I can find it

Chunkie--haven't thought about those in years, they were good!  Do they still make them?

I have to mule in boxes of goodies to the US whenever I come over

Last week when I came in I got a bemused look from Customs ( after two hours waiting to get through immigration - you Americans must be soooo proud of Kennedy Airport ) as they pulled out two boxes, one filled with Flake, Ripples and Flake Twists - white and dark chocolate AND a huge box of Crunchie bars " Thank Crunchie it's Friday"

The one Chocolate I love which I can't get in the UK is an Australian "crunchie style" honeycomb bar called Violet Crumbles.

S

I have to mule in boxes of goodies to the US whenever I come over

Last week when I came in I got a bemused look from Customs ... as they pulled out two boxes, one filled with Flake, Ripples and Flake Twists -

Though I recall the popular fellatio imagery in the advertising I'd never previously thought anyone would have to encase them them in condoms to get past US customs. My deepest respect.

Wilma squawks no more

...Flake, Ripples and Flake Twists - white and dark chocolate AND a huge box of Crunchie bars " Thank Crunchie it's Friday"

The one Chocolate I love which I can't get in the UK is an Australian "crunchie style" honeycomb bar called Violet Crumbles. 

S

Yummm...I had NO idea there were so many crunchy options. Violet Crumbles sounds divine! I may need to google it and see what I can find!

Yup, just found that site, too.

Too bad you have order all that other junk just to try a Violet Crumbles! :angry:

Chunkie--haven't thought about those in years, they were good!  Do they still make them?

Oh yes indeedy!

Aside: when I lived in Jerusalem I worked at an institute for Jewish Studies, and many of the students were from the States. During the Gulf War period, there were fewer than the regular number of applications for that January semester. As D-Day drew nearer, the American office kept sending silly messages like, "Can we help you in any way?" or "Can we do anything for you?" Our pat answer was: "Yes -- send chocolate!" And one day, in the middle of the damned war, this new kid walks into the office with a huge plastic bag filled with -- M&M's (plain and peanuts), Kitkats, Mounds bars, Hershey's kisses, you name it, it was in there. And it helped, oh boy did it help! :biggrin:

For those Anglosucrophiles in or around NYC: Devon & Blakely carries a variety of Cadbury's, the real thing. Only in cool weather, though.

Back to the survey: Milky Way, but only the dark chocolate version. Is the mocha version still around?

It's always been mars bar. :smile:

Yes..till I found Scharfenberger.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

For those Anglosucrophiles in or around NYC: Devon & Blakely carries a variety of Cadbury's, the real thing.  Only in cool weather, though.

Back to the survey: Milky Way, but only the dark chocolate version.  Is the mocha version still around?

I still have my Cadburys craving.... Strange.. since I hate most all mass produced chocolate these days. But if I see cadburys somewhere, I get a glitter in my eye.. and whoever is near me, knows I am craving chocolate... I come home with far too many bars.. and once I begin eating them, after half a bar is over, I am already sick of it. But next time I see the bars in a store, I am that little kid in the candy store than wants everything.

...Flake, Ripples and Flake Twists - white and dark chocolate AND a huge box of Crunchie bars " Thank Crunchie it's Friday"

S

Yummm...I had NO idea there were so many crunchy options. Violet Crumbles sounds divine! I may need to google it and see what I can find!

I've seen Violet Crumble in drug and variety stores all over the Seattle area. Which means it should be easy to find in the US. Or you can order it on-line here.

• Similar Content

• By HeatherAvila
      Ideas on why enrobed marshmallows stored at room temp (68 deg F) have recrystallized sugar particles while the same batch of enrobed marshmallow stored airtight in a cooler (40 deg F) do not?

I'm all ears!

Thanks,
      Heather
    • By pastrygirl
      Do you ever end up with ganache that reminds you of extra-heavy mayo?  I was winging it today, testing batches that set up ok but grainy, then weirldy flexible. The 60% i usually use is 39% cocoa butter, but in this batch I used 72%, which is 45% fat.  I also made some other changes but was trying to keep a similar ratio of liquid to chocolate.  The 72% ganache is far thicker than the 60% ever is - it probably needs more cream or a splash of booze, right?  Arg, I should know this!

I got annoyed and left the slab out to do whatever it will overnight - cross your fingers that it is either use-able or save-able tomorrow!
    • By minas6907
      Hey all, I got a question for you who make pate de fruit on a regular basis. I know it's quite simple to pour the finished pate de fruit into a frame, but does anyone here use a confectionery funnel to deposit them into forms? I'm asking because in Notters 'Art of the Chocolatier' it seems his primary way of making the jellies is to deposit the mixture into a flexipan, and his alternate method is to pour it into a frame. I'm wondering simply if anyone does/has done this before. The jellies seem to set quite quickly, and I'm not sure if you just need to be super fast with this or not. I want to try it, but shy away (I need to get appropriate forms first) because I keep feeling like I'll end up with half the mixture deposited and the other half solidified in the funnel. I assume warming the stainless funnel will aid the process, but I also assume that you have one attempt at this, and you cant rewarm the mixture as you would with fondant or gummies. Anyways, just a question I wanted to put out there. Thanks!

Host's note: this is the second part of an extended topic that has been split in order to reduce load on our servers.  
      The first part is here: Pâte de Fruits (Fruit Paste/Fruit Jellies) (Part 1)
    • By elizabethnathan
      I buy pate de fruits whenever I find them, and particularly like these: http://www.recchiutichocolates.com/home.htm.
      Now I'd love to try making them. Any tips?
    • By Tennessee Cowboy
      I am planning to make Pistachio Ice Cream with broken up Pistachio Pralines as a mix in.  I tried it once, using the Jeni's Ice Cream recipe (roast and run 1 c pralines through the blender until smooth, then add to her normal mixture.  There is a discussion of the pistachio ice cream under new members forums.  On the Pralines, I have read all of the posts in this forum on Pecan Pralines--click below if you want to see all of the posts.
      My questions are:
      1.  In general, how should I adapt the pecan praline recipes for Pistachios?  I have attached a file with most of the different recipes from the generic pralines forum.  Is there any reason to think one would be better than the other, as applied to pralines?
      2.  Any particular pistachio roasting recipe you think would work well?  (I've purchased raw, unsalted)
      3.  To get more pistachio-related flavor, should I substitute Pistachio Extract for Vanilla Extract.  Do I substitute one-for-one?  
      4.  Is there a role for Pistachio Paste to impart a more intense Pistachio flavor?  If so, how?
      Praline-multiple recipes.docx