• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

jhlurie

Confessions of a Novelty Confection Fiend

419 posts in this topic

Oh I love Milk Duds - and those pastel candy coated almonds. I am gonna break a tooth one of these days.

Back in the day when we went to the "Picture Show" (the word "Film" had not been introduced) I always got these chocolate kisses in a dark brown cardboard tube. Can't remember the name now.

By the time the movie ended the tube was all mooshed because I'd up-end it and put these deliciously sweet morsals into my mouth, one by one. By the time the show was over the candy was gone and I chewed on the cardboard container as we walked back home.

Back in the day when we went to the "Picture Show" (the word "Film" had not been introduced) I always got these chocolate kisses in a dark brown cardboard tube. Can't remember the name now.

Were they called Flicks? Gosh, I loved Flicks. They were made by Ghirardelli. Here's a picture: Click Here

And some info about the candy: Flicks Memories

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Just a periodic reminder, folks. Please only post wrappers you photograph or scan yourself. We've had to delete a few recent posts from users who embedded photographs directly from manufacturer's websites.

Toliver, as always your sweet tooth amazes me. :biggrin: Keep up the excellent work.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Just a periodic reminder, folks.  Please only post wrappers you photograph or scan yourself.  We've had to delete a few recent posts from users who embedded photographs directly from manufacturer's websites.

Toliver, as always your sweet tooth amazes me. :biggrin:  Keep up the excellent work.

I'm enjoying taking one (or two or ten) for the team!

And all my posted images are scanned by me after *burp* consumption. :laugh:

Edited to add: It's odd but I don't really have a sweet tooth. I much prefer savory over sweet anyday. Again, I'm just doing this reporting for the benefit of eGullet. Yeah, that's it. :wink:

Edited by Toliver (log)

Hey Toliver. I know they were not Flicks. I think they were called "Eatmores" but I'm not sure.

Hey Toliver.  I know they were not Flicks.  I think they were called "Eatmores" but I'm not sure.

Eat Mores are now a Hershey Canada product so it's no wonder I haven't heard of them before. :raz:

It's odd that the web site says they are the only Hershey Canada candy bar not coated in chocolate. Doesn't sound like what you ate...

And from this page (see the third post) it sounds like they were a "garbage" candy...made from factory leftovers. Again...doesn't sound like your description.

The mystery deepens...

Hey Toliver.  I know they were not Flicks.  I think they were called "Eatmores" but I'm not sure.

Eat Mores are now a Hershey Canada product so it's no wonder I haven't heard of them before. :raz:

It's odd that the web site says they are the only Hershey Canada candy bar not coated in chocolate. Doesn't sound like what you ate...

And from this page (see the third post) it sounds like they were a "garbage" candy...made from factory leftovers. Again...doesn't sound like your description.

The mystery deepens...

I lived deep in the heart of East Texas at the time so I can't imagine they were a Canadian product. The tube was dark brown - like the Hershey Bar .. so .. maybe we'll never know.

Recently tasted:

Ltd Ed Key Lime Almond Joy - White Chocolate coating, Key Lime flavored coconut, almond. Verdict: Ok.

Ltd Ed Passionfruit Almond Joy - Milk Chocolate coating, Passionfruit flavored coconut, almond. Verdict: Never Again.

I have a small bag of the Mega M&Ms waiting at home. I hope they are like the Shrek M&Ms of last year which were definitely not the same as the dark chocolate ones. The dark chocolate had a very burnt taste and the Shrek was milk chocolate.

N.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

I have a small bag of the Mega M&Ms waiting at home. I hope they are like the Shrek M&Ms of last year which were definitely not the same as the dark chocolate ones. The dark chocolate had a very burnt taste and the Shrek was milk chocolate.

I like them so much, I've been buying up every bag of Dark Chocolate peanut M&M's I can find. That's getting easier to do since the to-do over the film and its companion ad campaign have quietly subsided and they're being marked down every where. :smile:

Spotted this week (but not purchased) "Mega M&Ms".

M&M Minis were already kind of rip-off so I didn't indulge. But one of you lovely folks in welcome to go nuts and let us know if they taste any different.

I also noticed that there are approximately 9,251 different varieties of Hershey's kisses now. It's hard to even FIND a bag of the original.

EDIT - Duh. Natasha already spotted the Megas. Oh well. We eagerly await a report and if she can manage a shot of the packaging.

I like them so much, I've been buying up every bag of Dark Chocolate peanut M&M's I can find. That's getting easier to do since the to-do over the film and its companion ad campaign have quietly subsided and they're being marked down every where.

Toliver, personally I'm getting desperate for Dark Choco M&Ms. I'm having to go further and futher afield to even find them. My guess is that we might be treated to a return of them at some point, but they are waiting for another movie to tie them into somehow. :laugh:

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Anyone with nut allergies can just skip this post. :raz:

Reese's Big Cup with Nuts - Limited Edition

gallery_9387_874_909.jpg

This was good. It's a big ol' fat Reese's Peanut Butter Cup with chunks of peanuts. What's not to like? :laugh:

The only drawback is it's sold as a single cup. These monsters should be sold in the twin pack. Obviously, it's going to be marketed as an impulse item by the cash register at the late night convenience store nearest you. :cool:

Hershey's Nut Lovers - Limited Edition

gallery_9387_874_2951.jpg

Hershey's chocolate bar along with almonds, cashews, peanut and pecan pieces. Ignore the picture of whole nuts on the wrapper that is meant to mislead you.

As for taste, imagine a Mr. Goodbar but kicked up a notch. It's nutty in every bite.

The drawback is, as the label points out, it's pieces of nuts. It'd be great if you could get a better taste of the individual nut flavors but you don't because it's just pieces. However, I think the "nutty-in-every-bite" tilts this candy bar towards a "thumbs up" from me.

Another caveat is that it is a smaller bar than the regular Hershey Chocolate Bar. Where the regular Hershey bar has 4 columns of three rectangles, this bar is 3 columns of three rectangles. I suppose because it does contain a lot of nuts that they could justify the smaller bar for the "regular" price. :hmmm:

The mystery deepens...

I can verify the "garbage" aspect. I worked at Hershey briefly and heard stories of the EatMore bar, made from mixed up bits of other candy that didn't form correctly. There was a guy who would ladel cherry syrup into each batch, tasting it until it was "right."

Nifty News & Decent Deals - where I'm always listing more kitchen stuff than average people want to see...

gallery_15459_985_133122.jpg

A little late but I finally tried the mega m&ms. They're decent. I don't know why I keep trying the cheap chocolate thinking it will be better...that must be the novelty candy fiend part. The chocolate thing with these m&ms is hard for me to tell. They are labeled milk chocolate but they don't taste like the milk chocolate from the regular ones to me. They don't taste as burnt as the dark chocolate ones either. I'd say they are a hybrid.

N.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

The mystery deepens...

I can verify the "garbage" aspect. I worked at Hershey briefly and heard stories of the EatMore bar, made from mixed up bits of other candy that didn't form correctly. There was a guy who would ladel cherry syrup into each batch, tasting it until it was "right."

Oh Great ! Well, it was East Texas and probably as good as it was going to get. Why didn't I prefer a Hershey Bar? I think it was because I got a lot more candy in that tube and I was a prudent shopper.

New to my area...

Kit Kat Limited Edition Milkshake Flavor

gallery_9387_874_3.jpg

Very different...there's a definite malted taste to the candy bar (hence, the "Milkshake" name) but it's not as intense as, say, a Whopper Malted Milk ball tastes. Overall, I would give it a thumbs up.

Also new to my area...

Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Limited Edition Double Chocolate

gallery_9387_874_5304.jpg

I had high hopes for this version. What could be better than chocolate wrapped inside chocolate? But reading the smaller print on the label, inside the chocolate cup is "Chocolate Flavored Peanut Butter". Uhm...isn't that redundant when speaking of Reese's Peanut Butter cups? They already are peanut butter & chocolate.

So this version is chocolate covered chocolate flavored peanut butter. The big problem is that the chocolate flavored peanut butter still tastes just like peanut butter. The chocolate flavoring isn't different enough from the chocolate flavor in the cup to make much of a taste difference. It did taste a little less salty than a regular Reese's Peanut Butter Cup but that's a minor quibble. I'd pass on this edition of the peanut butter cup.

While I'm not sure I would call them a "novelty" confection, the new Hershey's Extra Dark line of chocolate bars is a big step up in quality from their regular milk chocolate bar:

http://www.hersheys.com/products/details/extradark/index.asp

I was able to get these 2 for $3 at Wallgreens last week. Definitely worth the money, I especially like the 60 percent with Macadamias and Cranberry. Eating a half a bar of these totally eliminates any chocolate craving you might have, and its definitely formulated for a much more adult palette than the kids stuff Hershey's normally makes.

Jason Perlow

Co-Founder, The Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

offthebroiler.com - Food Blog | View my food photos on Instagram

Hershey's Limited Edition Cookies 'n' Chocolate

gallery_9387_874_4046.jpg

This gets a thumbs up from me. Take the nice textural crunch you get from either a Nestle's Crunch Bar or a Hershey's Krackle Bar and add the subtle taste of chocolate cookie crumbs. It's a win-win combination, provided you like Hershey's chocolate in the first place.

Limited Edition Triple Chocolate Extra Crunchy Kit Kat Bar

gallery_9387_874_1436.jpg

Yes, this does taste different than the regular Kit Kat bar. Even a skosh better, perhaps. I think the chocolate wafer/cream (hard to tell where the taste of the chocolate wafer leaves off and the taste of the "chocolate cream" takes over) does make a difference.

And yes, it IS extra crispy so there is truth in advertising. The extra crispiness comes from the taller stack of crispy wafers. As pictured on the wrapper, it's one large bar instead of the standard 4 thin bars that you break apart.

Thumbs up.

Hubby and I tried the Reeses with caramel (http://www.hersheys.com/reeses/products/detail.asp?name=caramel) and really didn't like them. The texture combo was wierd and it was too sweet, even for us.

Add one to the Kit Kat list...we found a Tiramisu Kit Kat in the UK right before Easter. Sadly, I didn't get to try it as he gave it to a friend at work. We're going to get his folks to send over some more.

"Vegetables aren't food. Vegetables are what food eats."

--

food.craft.life.

The Lunch Crunch - Our daily struggle to avoid boring lunches

New white chocolate m&m's

gallery_15459_985_72864.jpg

gallery_15459_985_101482.jpg

Not bad.

enjoy!

N.

New white chocolate m&m's

Natasha, thanks for posting about these. I'm not a big fan of white chocolate but I'll have to keep an eye out for them.

Arrrrr, matey! :laugh:

The skull combined with the "M" on some of the candy is inventive.

Much earlier in the thread (like, 4 years ago), somebody mentioned the delightful Valomilk as being hard to find outside the Kansas City area. I have found that they are sold in all the convenience stores in Port Fourchon, Louisiana, very near Grand Isle. I've never found them elsewhere in Louisiana and I wonder how and why this happened. Though they are a K.C. treat, I will always associate them with driving up and down the Fourchon highway looking for Roseate Spoonbills.

You can also order Valomilk and other old-fashioned candies from Old Time Candy.

Edited by docbrite (log)

Have we covered Pocky yet? I buy every kind I've never tried. Though my current favs are Maple and Butter (This one is from Pretz, actually), Pocky G (both regular and stawberry, less easily found these days), Black Sesame, Almond Crush and the new Strawberry one with bits of freeze-dried strawberry in it.

Mmm.. Pocky.

foodpr0n.com 11/01/17: A map of macarons in Toronto // For free or for a fee - bring your bottle! corkagetoronto.com

Hershey's has a new ltd ed kiss filled with coconut creme (sorry, no pic). Thinking they might be similar to mounds or almond joy, I picked up a bag for my candy bowl at work. Unfortunately at some point the bag must have melted a bit and smooshed, leaving me with a bowlful of oddly shaped weirdly gritty chocolate/coconut candies. But this is work and people will eat anything you leave out... They ate the cough syrup tasting cherry cordial kisses and I'll bet these will be gone by Monday, too...

http://www.hersheys.com/kisses/home.asp

N.

ps. the drugstore (cvs) also had the dark chocolate almond kisses. I think I should've picked those up instead.

Limited Edition Hershey's Mocha Almond

gallery_9387_874_13193.jpg

What a great combination...chocolate and coffee flavor.

That is, it sounds like a good combination until you take your first bite of this candy bar.

The mocha flavor is artificial and while it does taste a little like coffee, it's more along the lines of a "fake" coffee as opposed to the real thing. It's very strong in the first bite.

But as you eat the candy bar that very present flavor subsides and then it begins to taste okay. The almond bits are good but I kept wishing for whole almonds like in an Almond Joy.

As I previously commented on another Hershey Bar, the picture on the wrapper is a complete lie. Whole almonds and coffee beans are shown on the front of the wrapper and there are no whole almonds or coffee beans (or coffee for that matter) in this candy bar.

And what was very odd was after I finished the candy bar, there was no lingering chocolate or coffee after-taste in my mouth. It was a completely transitory experience, leaving only the wrapper as proof that I'd even had a mocha almond chocolate candy bar. Weird.

• Similar Content

• By HeatherAvila
      Ideas on why enrobed marshmallows stored at room temp (68 deg F) have recrystallized sugar particles while the same batch of enrobed marshmallow stored airtight in a cooler (40 deg F) do not?

I'm all ears!

Thanks,
      Heather
    • By pastrygirl
      Do you ever end up with ganache that reminds you of extra-heavy mayo?  I was winging it today, testing batches that set up ok but grainy, then weirldy flexible. The 60% i usually use is 39% cocoa butter, but in this batch I used 72%, which is 45% fat.  I also made some other changes but was trying to keep a similar ratio of liquid to chocolate.  The 72% ganache is far thicker than the 60% ever is - it probably needs more cream or a splash of booze, right?  Arg, I should know this!

I got annoyed and left the slab out to do whatever it will overnight - cross your fingers that it is either use-able or save-able tomorrow!
    • By minas6907
      Hey all, I got a question for you who make pate de fruit on a regular basis. I know it's quite simple to pour the finished pate de fruit into a frame, but does anyone here use a confectionery funnel to deposit them into forms? I'm asking because in Notters 'Art of the Chocolatier' it seems his primary way of making the jellies is to deposit the mixture into a flexipan, and his alternate method is to pour it into a frame. I'm wondering simply if anyone does/has done this before. The jellies seem to set quite quickly, and I'm not sure if you just need to be super fast with this or not. I want to try it, but shy away (I need to get appropriate forms first) because I keep feeling like I'll end up with half the mixture deposited and the other half solidified in the funnel. I assume warming the stainless funnel will aid the process, but I also assume that you have one attempt at this, and you cant rewarm the mixture as you would with fondant or gummies. Anyways, just a question I wanted to put out there. Thanks!

Host's note: this is the second part of an extended topic that has been split in order to reduce load on our servers.  
      The first part is here: Pâte de Fruits (Fruit Paste/Fruit Jellies) (Part 1)
    • By elizabethnathan
      I buy pate de fruits whenever I find them, and particularly like these: http://www.recchiutichocolates.com/home.htm.
      Now I'd love to try making them. Any tips?
    • By Tennessee Cowboy
      I am planning to make Pistachio Ice Cream with broken up Pistachio Pralines as a mix in.  I tried it once, using the Jeni's Ice Cream recipe (roast and run 1 c pralines through the blender until smooth, then add to her normal mixture.  There is a discussion of the pistachio ice cream under new members forums.  On the Pralines, I have read all of the posts in this forum on Pecan Pralines--click below if you want to see all of the posts.
      My questions are:
      1.  In general, how should I adapt the pecan praline recipes for Pistachios?  I have attached a file with most of the different recipes from the generic pralines forum.  Is there any reason to think one would be better than the other, as applied to pralines?
      2.  Any particular pistachio roasting recipe you think would work well?  (I've purchased raw, unsalted)
      3.  To get more pistachio-related flavor, should I substitute Pistachio Extract for Vanilla Extract.  Do I substitute one-for-one?  
      4.  Is there a role for Pistachio Paste to impart a more intense Pistachio flavor?  If so, how?
      Praline-multiple recipes.docx