• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confessions of a Novelty Confection Fiend

jhlurie

"Snickers made a special pecan bar for fall -- but it's already sold out"

Snickers just got a fall-themed update, just in time for pecan pie season.

Mars, which makes the candy bar, debuted a Snickers Pecan Bar on Wednesday, conjuring up all sorts of chocolate pecan pie vibes. You feel them, too?
This version was available only online, but by Wednesday night it had already sold out.
Chances of buying any more sounded slim. A message on the website said customers could enter their email address to be notified "if we restock."
The bars were being sold as a 15-pack for $30. They're set to begin shipping September 30.

• Sad 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 1 month later...

"Reese’s is unveiling its first new holiday shapes in 20 years"

On Monday, Hershey's announced several new additions to its 2019 candy collection, and a lot of people can't wait to bring them home. This year, Reese's Mystery Shapes, Reese's Holiday Lights, Kit Kat Cinnamon Miniatures and Hershey's Dipped Pretzels will be joining the lineup of the company's classic holiday mixes like red, white and green M&M's

If you scroll down the article someone tweeted a picture of the three Reeses shapes and I am stumped, as well, as to what they could be. I am sure they eat the same as the regular Reeses candy.;)

And the Sweet Cinnamon Mini Kit Kats sound good. 

If anyone takes one for the team, please post your assessment. 

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

• 4 weeks later...

"Kit Kat Is Reportedly Coming Out With 5 New Flavors Next Year, Including Cherry Cola And Chocolate Cream Pie"

...flavors like Cotton Candy, Chocolate Cream Pie, Cherry Cola, and Orange Creamsicle could be coming to Walmart in 2020.

...ANOTHER possible Kit Kat flavor coming in 2020: Apple Pie. 

If you see one of the new flavors, please take one for the team and give them a try and report back.

Tim Oliver

Have not seen any new KitKats in these parts. However, my all-time favorite KitKat is the green tea one you can buy everywhere in Japan.

I recently ran across all-caramel Milky Ways miniatures. Nice oozy caramel.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

7 hours ago, kayb said:

Have not seen any new KitKats in these parts. However, my all-time favorite KitKat is the green tea one you can buy everywhere in Japan.

I see the Green Tea KitKat at H-Mart sometimes and pick them up for Cat Son - Cat Son is NOT a green tea fan ~ of course, given his heritage - I demanded he take a maternity test! :laugh: - but he does love these green tea KitKats LOVES THEM! 

• Like 1

I have an EpiPen ... my friend gave it to me when he was dying ... it seemed very important to him that I have it ... 

• 1 month later...

"Kit Kat JUST Released Two Limited Edition Flavors"

...Kit Kat's new offering for Valentine's Day is Raspberry Creme Miniatures, two-bite wafer bars covered in pretty pink raspberry creme. Each bar is individually wrapped in hot pink packaging....

The Lemon Crisp Miniatures are in a slightly smaller bag (7.5-ounce) and have been spotted at Food Lion.

They've released so many different flavors this just seems ordinary now.

Has anyone tried them?

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

OK, found the raspberry KitKats at ShopRite near my office. Will be easy to resist this one, the taste is very thin, almost "watery". There is very little raspberry flavor. Small sticks, around 2".

IMG_20200122_135435.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 1:58 PM, BeeZee said:

OK, found the raspberry KitKats at ShopRite near my office. Will be easy to resist this one, the taste is very thin, almost "watery". There is very little raspberry flavor. Small sticks, around 2".

IMG_20200122_135435.jpg

At least in NJ KitKats are not taxable.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, heidih said:

I just unpacked a new Yamaha keyboard and Sweetwater tucked these in. What a fun memory lane treat.

candy pack.JPG

candy.JPG

Sweetwater always uses candy for packing material!

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 3 months later...

"Hershey’s Is Making Sugar Cookie-Flavored Kisses This Holiday Season"

...you should know about a new set of sugar cookie-flavored Hershey’s Kisses recently posted by @CandyHunting, who found out about them through some sort of premature posting on grocery chain Meijer’s website.

Wrapped in aluminum foil adorned with the kinds of shapes that often make up Christmas cookies, each special Kiss consists of a sugar cookie-flavored white creme, complete with red and green cookie pieces. 

I am not a big fan of "white chocolate". But I think I would try these (okay, maybe try one and take the rest to work so someone else could eat them :wink:).

If anyone sees them in the stores, please post.

• Sad 1

Tim Oliver

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Walked into Ralphs (Kroger) this morning greeted by the seasonal candy aisle and found my yearly favorite. The Russell Stover $ bar. I am not a candy person but this has such a melt on your tongue nostalgic feel. Miles and miles removed from waxy Hershey. 

rs choc.JPG

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

I tried three new confections and liked only one of them.

First off, I saw these first two candies at the checkout of my local grocery store:

"New M&Ms Mixes Combine Three Favorite Flavors in One Bag"

M&M's Mix bags will come in two varieties: Classic and Peanut.

The Classic mix features the brand's traditional flavors: classic milk chocolate, milk chocolate peanut, and peanut butter M&M's.

The Peanut mix will include milk chocolate peanut, white chocolate peanut, and dark chocolate peanut.

I tried both of these and was sorry to say the peanut Mix was a fail. Really, all you taste is the peanut. I suppose if you have a lot of one type of peanut M&M then you'll eventually be able to taste the flavor it's enrobed with but in these snack bags, it's really a paltry amount of candy. So if you like peanuts, maybe just buy peanuts and skip this mix.

The other mix, the Classic Mix, was much better because you could taste the enrobing chocolate. Still, it was a paltry amount in the bag, but enough you could tell they were different flavors. This candy was the one winner.

The third candy I tried was the Kit Kat Key Lime flavor (click). Sounds refreshing, doesn't it?

Unfortunately, it was another failure.

And I apologize for this description but it's what the candy tastes like to me: Sometimes when you walk into a Men's bathroom, the urinals contain a deodorant disk that has a distinct odor. This candy bar reminded me of that odor. :S

Not good. Also, very "fake" tasting. Not a winner. :(

• Sad 1

Tim Oliver

13 minutes ago, Toliver said:

The third candy I tried was the Kit Kat Key Lime flavor (click). Sounds refreshing, doesn't it?

Unfortunately, it was another failure.

And I apologize for this description but it's what the candy tastes like to me: Sometimes when you walk into a Men's bathroom, the urinals contain a deodorant disk that has a distinct odor. This candy bar reminded me of that odor. :S

Not good. Also, very "fake" tasting. Not a winner. :(

They had a big display of those at CVS today. Not s Kit Kat person and packaging is unappealing and sounds even worse. The smell would put me over the edge. I call that porta-potty scent. 

"Hershey’s Red, White & Blue Cookies ‘N’ Creme Bar Will Make The Most Patriotic S’mores"

All of us are looking forward to making s’mores this summer, right? Instead of using the typical chocolate bars that you’ll find in a s’mores kit, you can make the classic campfire dessert festive for Memorial Day, the 4th of July, and Labor Day with the Hershey’s Red, White & Blue Cookies ‘n’ Creme Bar.

It's a limited edition flavor. 

I don't think Hershey "gets it". S'Mores are made with chocolate bars, not white chocolate bars. White chocolate isn't even real chocolate...it's just sweet.

But I guess this is aimed at kids so it doesn't really matter.

Tim Oliver

Wandered into Hobby Lobby today, and found they had my favorite candy that I can't find much of anywhere any more -- chocolate cream drops.

old-fashion-chocolate-creme-drops-24oz-bag-5.jpg.4282cfe563f4f8bebfcd696abb6f49bf.jpg

I love them squashed flat and eaten atop cheddar cheese. Extremely sharp cheddar cheese. These were had on Dubliner for a late lunch.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

42 minutes ago, kayb said:

old-fashion-chocolate-creme-drops-24oz-bag-5.jpg.4282cfe563f4f8bebfcd696abb6f49bf.jpg

I love them squashed flat and eaten atop cheddar cheese. Extremely sharp cheddar cheese. These were had on Dubliner for a late lunch.

Happy to see another sweet + savory girl - I'd try

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

"Cinnamon bun flavored Snickers bar announced"

Mars Wrigley, the company that produces Snickers bars, announced the debut of the cinnamon bun flavored Snickers bar. In a press release, the new snack will feature cinnamon bun flavored nougat, along with peanuts, caramel and milk chocolate...
The Cinnamon Bun Snickers bar will be available exclusively at Walmart starting in October. It will be available in both single packages and packages of 24.

This is a "wait & see" for me. It would be far better if, instead of peanuts, they used chopped pecans.

If anyone sees them in the store, please take one for the team.

Tim Oliver

18 hours ago, kayb said:

No. Please, just....no.

Give me a Zagnut.

I'm with you and Zagnut candy bars are one of the best American candies!  Any mass produced thing that announces that it is cinnamon flavored is almost guaranteed instead to be a cheap fake maple/butterscotch flavor.  Is cinnamon THAT expensive?

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Spotted at Walmart today…”fruity cereal” Kit Kats. I guess inspired by Fruity Pebbles cereal. The thought made my teeth hurt.

• Haha 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

• 5 weeks later...