• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confessions of a Novelty Confection Fiend

jhlurie

On December 16, 2016 at 1:07 PM, Toliver said:

An early Christmas (really, an early Valentine's Day) present: "Christmas Has Come Early: Red Velvet Kit Kats Are Here"

I bought a bag of these at Target today. They gave the white chocolate coating a tangy flavor to simulate cream cheese frosting. Chocolate cookie inside. Not bad.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

• 4 months later...

They'e finally being stocked in stores: M&M's Caramel (my apologies for any web ad pop-ups which seem to be so prevalent these days)

Strangely, I couldn't find the candy on the M&M web site which seems to exist only to sell M&M-related crap/products. ¬¬

The link above is from an early Food & Wine taste test of the new candy.

The candies are odd to eat (as mentioned in the article). They are large-sized and a little chewy. What happens is that, at first, you don't taste the caramel. There's just a crunch and chew. And then more chew. Then eventually all of the candy outer shell and the chocolate dissolve away and there's just a caramel-y finish. Initially, I had tried just one but I think it was more successful in regards to the caramel flavor when I ate two at a time (yeah, that's my excuse as to why the contents of the bag are disappearing so quickly and I'm sticking with that. xD ).

It sort of reminded me of eating Sugar Babies, where there's a long chew factor that's crunchy/grainy at first, then gives way to just the brown sugar-y goodness of the Sugar Babies.

Two thumbs up for these odd M&M Caramel candies.

• Like 5

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 4 weeks later...

Kit Kat strawberry. Very good. Sweet, of course. Found at my local Shop Rite, medium sized bag of snack size (ie, single sticks).

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

From today's LA Times:

How the humble KitKat conquered Japan with ever-changing flavors. Anyone for sushi KitKat?

The article includes an interesting little history of the brand, started in the UK, now owned by Nestlé but licensed to Hershey in the US, where we are apparently only offered milk, dark and white chocolate versions, plus strawberry.  

In Canada, Nestlé adds cookies & cream, chunky peanut butter, mint, orange, white & milk chocolate, cookie dough and the special edition KitKat Rubies, featuring "A special recipe of delicious truffle, fine hazelnut pieces, all draped over our classic, crispy Kit Kat wafer."

Meanwhile, in Japan:

...The company develops 20 new flavors every year, and replaces flavors on convenience store shelves every two months.

Here's link to a Pinterest board with photos of some of the limited edition flavors.

Personally, I'm not a fan - I'll take a Twix over a KitKat anytime xD!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

(I'm not a regular in this sub-forum.  I hope someone will move this if a different topic would be more appropriate.)

"Hershey's Gold", what is it?  Hershey's website uses the term "crème" as though it means something in English--maybe it does in the industry(?) but I am skeptical.  

I am ambivalent about tasting this but I am curious about the concept.  

@Fernwood  I've not tried it yet, but have read plenty about it.  It seems that some folks define the base as being sweet, creamy and caramel-tasting, and note that its not white chocolate- but rather a sugar, milk and vegetable oil base.   Not sure where the "creme" term comes from either.  There are peanuts and pretzel pieces dispersed throughout the bar, providing little salt bombs that help balance the sweetness.  All the reviews I've read give it pretty high ratings.  One person stated that it tasted like a Cracker-Jacks or FiddleFaddle.  (Cracker Jacks used to be one of my main food groups, so I was rather excited by that particular review.)

Personally, I cannot wait to get my hands on one.  My Dad started me out eating Hershey bars as a small child- and between the two of us- we probably ate more than the whole neighborhood combined. The combination of peanuts and pretzels in a caramel flavored Hershey bar sounds lovely. It will never beat the Hershey bar with almonds, but sounds wonderful anyway. 

• Like 1

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

22 hours ago, Fernwood said:

(I'm not a regular in this sub-forum.  I hope someone will move this if a different topic would be more appropriate.)

"Hershey's Gold", what is it?  Hershey's website uses the term "crème" as though it means something in English--maybe it does in the industry(?) but I am skeptical.  

I am ambivalent about tasting this but I am curious about the concept.  

We hated this.  I am crazy about caramel, but didn't taste it.  I am also not a fan of white chocolate or Hershey products, so that has to be considered.  Very vague bar with no personality that I could detect.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I just had one of these bars. I think they call it "caramelized creme" because of the tan color, they didn't want you to expect the usual white chocolate flavor. I don't think the intent was a caramel flavor, but maybe the thinking was the salt from the pretzel was reminding people of salted caramel. The first note I detected was peanut, then as you chew you get the salt from the pretzel bits. I thought it was OK for a change, if you consider its not fine confectionery. I do like white chocolate. As a side note, they don't seem to be in wide distribution, I looked for a while before finding one (at Wegmans, and I think I saw them at Target last week).

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

"Mint KitKat! Hershey's announces first new permanent flavor in a decade"

Hershey's says it is bringing a new permanent KitKat flavor to the United States for the first time in nearly 10 years.

The flavor is called "Duos Mint + Dark Chocolate."

...The flavor will be available nationwide in December.

For me, the mint flavor can make or break a confection/candy. From the shade of green on this KitKat bar, it looks like the green of the Andes mint candy...subtle and nuanced. 

My favorite mint would be the bold peppermint in the York Peppermint patties.

Anyone else have a preference?

Tim Oliver

Have not had in yeaars. We kept the patties in the freezer and mom kept a candy dish of the  Andes near front door. Constant mental calcultions as to how many we could sneak before she noticed. We re-stacked them tto "fluff up" appearance.  So answwer = both :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Mars has a Maple Almond Butter flavored Snickers candy bar.

Has anyone tried it? I am curious as to how strong (or subtle) the maple flavor is.

Tim Oliver

2 hours ago, Toliver said:

Has anyone tried it? I am curious as to how strong (or subtle) the maple flavor is.

John wanted to try them but high up on the ingredient list was lactose.....that's a no go for him.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Made an unplanned stop by Walgreen's for cough drops. Came out with Sugar Babies, Skittles, Sno-Caps and Caramel M&Ms. Theatre-sized boxes, $4 for 5 bucks.

Who can resist?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 5/1/2019 at 3:34 PM, Toliver said:

I found the candy bar in a local gas station. It's quite good. It actually reminded me a lot of a See's Candies product.

Instead of one long bar, it's 4 individual pieces. The nougat is nothing like the Snicker's nougat perhaps because it's a thinner bar/piece and has less chew because the almonds are sliced almonds.

Upon first bite, the maple flavor is very prominent, but as you eat your way through the pieces, that flavor seems to go into the "background". 

I am very impressed with this maple version of a Snickers bar. I would definitely buy it again.

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

• 2 months later...

"Zombie Skittles Are Already Wandering into Stores, and They Come with a Trick"

Zombie Skittles didn’t earn their name just by putting a zombie on the package. There’s at least one Skittle flavor lurking in each bag with a more undead flavor. According to Mars, the Rotten Zombie Skittle is “ready to attack your palate with notes of soil and decay.” But since they’re hidden, you won't be able to tell them apart from the others just by sight. Creepy!

I guess it's a riff off of the Jelly Belly flavors that came out for the Harry Potter movies.

I am not a fan of Skittles so I will pass. If anyone takes one for the them and actually finds the Zombie-flavored Skittle, please report back.:B

• Haha 1

Tim Oliver

"Angry Butterfinger fans slam the candy bar's new recipe as 'trash' and 'nasty' "

Butterfinger fans are freaking out about the candy's new recipe.

In February, Butterfinger's parent company Ferrero launched the "Better Butterfinger" campaign, with the tagline: "nobody lays a finger on my better Butterfinger."...
...However, many Butterfinger fans argue that the new recipe has ruined the beloved candy. 

From looking at the picture of the two side-by-side candy bars, you can see that the new version is a lot skinnier. I guess someone is saving some money, eh?

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

6 hours ago, Toliver said:

"Angry Butterfinger fans slam the candy bar's new recipe as 'trash' and 'nasty' "

From looking at the picture of the two side-by-side candy bars, you can see that the new version is a lot skinnier. I guess someone is saving some money, eh?

Hubby doesn’t eat candy very often - but one his favorites is Butterfinger when he does eat candy - he will not buy the “new improved” version because he has heard it tastes like (behind) ... I don’t want to know how they know ... 😳

Edited by CatIsHungry
typo (log)
  • Haha 2

I have an EpiPen ... my friend gave it to me when he was dying ... it seemed very important to him that I have it ... 

• 1 month later...

"Nestlé launches luxury KitKat bars in the UK — but they’re not cheap"

KitKats are getting fancy.

Swiss chocolate giant Nestlé has announced a luxury, handcrafted version of the popular chocolate bar for the United Kingdom, in time for the Christmas season.

The opulent eight-finger bar allows customers to choose from 1,500 flavor combinations, and also features personalized packaging.

The new “KitKat Chocolatory” creation isn’t exactly a cheap thrill, though — each bar will set you back £14 ($17).

If anyone takes one for the team, please let us know the results.;)

Tim Oliver