• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confessions of a Novelty Confection Fiend

jhlurie

Cool, another old thread to play catch-up with! My long-time loves are Zagnut (erratically available) and Turkish Taffy (haven't seen that in years). My new love is Take 5...that caramel-pretzel-chocolate thing is perfect.

A happy new-old find was Adams sour gum...I've seen it in cherry and green apple. When will they bring back orange?

I miss Zotz. I know there are other fizzy-centered candies around but they're not sour enough.

...I miss Zotz. I know there are other fizzy-centered candies around but they're not sour enough.

Oh, Darling, no more missing Zotz for you! There are plenty of places to get them online, here is a site that sells them wholesale, even better! Just click on Italy, that's where Zotz are made. Ooh, those effervescent Italians, ya gotta love 'em! :wub:

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Just ran to the vending machine because I spotted a 100 Grand wrapper from a distance. Got back to my desk to open it and it says "with coconut"! :blink: I like Almond Joy and I love 100 Grand bars but the two together ain't workin' for me. It's okay, it's just not either one and doesn't seem to be hitting the spot. It's missing the chewy caramel and there's not quite enough moistness in the coconut. The two are mixed and it just kinda loses something in the translation. The flavor is okay. Hmmm. :huh:

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

• 1 month later...

Hershey's Limited Edition Brownies 'n' Chocolate candy bar

gallery_9387_874_9624.jpg

I had such high hopes for this one. The label says it's "Creamy Milk Chocolate with Brownie Morsels".

When I think of brownies, I think "chewy" or even "gooey". The drawback to putting "chewy" morsels in a candy bar it that they can also come across as "stale".

It would have been a totally different candy bar if they had a decent layer of brownie...something with enough thickness that you could sink your teeth into and get that chewiness naturally associated with brownies. But when you take brownies and turn them into "morsels" (i.e., tiny brownie crumbs) and mix them into the candy bar, it's an odd texture combination. Like I mentioned, they come across as stale bits, not chewy bits, since they're so small.

Anyone else try these?

I get it. Hershey's is trying to come up with something tiny they can mix into their current candy bars so they don't have to go through the expense of reconfiguring their machinery. Having a thick brownie layer would mean making an entirely new candy bar instead of just being able to update a current candy bar.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I tried some mint crunchy M&Ms lately. I think they might be an Asia- & Australia-only limited edition product :sad: However, I did buy them here in Vancouver at a Japanese candy store (Chinese owner), so they might be available in other countries. They're quite good! More minty than I thought they would be, and they come in pretty shades of green (the candy shell is mint-flavoured, not the chocolate).

Cool, another old thread to play catch-up with! My long-time loves are Zagnut (erratically available) and Turkish Taffy (haven't seen that in years). My new love is Take 5...that caramel-pretzel-chocolate thing is perfect.

Oh my god, Zagnut! I found it on a regular basis on a nearby college campus ca. 2000, but have never seen it since. Butterfinger and 5th Avenue have nothing on that gem. I used to have two at a time sometimes. :shock:

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

• 4 weeks later...
Anyone with nut allergies can just skip this post. :raz:

Reese's Big Cup with Nuts - Limited Edition

gallery_9387_874_909.jpg

This was good.  It's a big ol' fat Reese's Peanut Butter Cup with chunks of peanuts.  What's not to like? :laugh:

The only drawback is it's sold as a single cup.  These monsters should be sold in the twin pack.  Obviously, it's going to be marketed as an impulse item by the cash register at the late night convenience store nearest you. :cool:

There's a new Limited Edition Reese's Big Cup with Mixed Nuts.

gallery_9387_874_14441.jpg

As with the original Limited Edition with Nuts, this is another winner.

It didn't quite look like the cross section on the cover of the wrapper, but it was quite nutty and quite good.

Besides peanuts (of course), the ingredient list shows Pecans, Almonds and Cashews. While eating the peanut butter cup, you can't really discern one nut over another (the nuts aren't whole...they're little chunks) but it all contributes to a very nutty (with a nice contrasting note of saltiness) experience.

Thumbs Up!

edited for clarification and spelking

Edited by Toliver (log)

Tim Oliver

• 1 month later...

gallery_9387_874_8326.jpg

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups with Caramel.

The packaging doesn't say it's a limited edition version but I don't think I've seen these before.

I knew it was going to be bad before I took my first bite..."Hey, here's an idea....let's take the sugar we already have and add more sugar to it!"

The caramel really didn't have any flavor. It just added an overall cloying sweetness to the already sweet peanut butter cups. I was ready to go into sugar shock after the second cup.

The texture was a little chewier due to the (very thin) caramel layer at the bottom of the peanut butter cup. But other than that, it might as well not even be in there.

Donning my gourmand hat:

If the caramel layer were thicker it would have had a more assertive presence in the overall experience of the peanut butter cup.

:laugh::cool:

Pass this candy by.

Tim Oliver

• 3 months later...

Milky Way Dark Chocolate Mint

gallery_9387_874_1575.jpg

Overall, a good candy bar. It's actually two small bars (this candy bar is noticeably skinnier than a regular Milky Way candy bar). The outer wrapping is the regular Milky Way silver foil but with a green tinge on the bottom half.

I wish the dark chocolate coating had been thicker to make this candy bar really stand out.

At first bite, I didn't think the mint was very strong (compared to the strong mint presence in a York Peppermint Patty). But it got stronger with each bite. After a while it did remind me of the flavor of a York Peppermint Patty. But where a York PP is dense and almost crisp, the Milky Way Dark Chocolate Mint candy bar is soft and fluffy, which was a little odd in the beginning because my head kept thinking "York Peppermint Patty" in flavor but not in chewing sensation.

If a York Peppermint Patty isn't available, this candy bar will do for that mint kick. The label also says it's 150 calories for both bars that make up the candy bar.

I also saw these next to the 6-packs of Buzz Cola at my local 7-Eleven:

gallery_9387_874_15967.jpg

Limited Edition Razzberry M&M's (it's their spelling, not mine).

I can't stand the flavor combination of chocolate and raspberry so I won't bother reviewing the candy here to be fair. I am posting this so others will know it's currently available as a limited edition candy. As you can see by the scan, the candy itself is pudgier than a regular M&M.

If anyone likes that flavor combination and tries the candy, feel free to post a review.

Tim Oliver

Here are some new odd confections I've found...

Honees - I just can't get enough of these... they are basically high quality honey in a candy shell.  Varieties include Basic Honey-filled, Honey/Menthol/Eucalyptus and Milk-N-Honees.

honeeslogo1.jpg

h0400.jpgh0401.jpgh0402.jpg

Another new one--although for a change I can't find a picture on the web of it--is a new product from Brachs.  Chocolate and White Fudge Covered Caramel Corn.  Three or Four of these have the fat/calorie equivalent of... geez.  I don't know.  It's a lot.  The Fudge is really thick, not just a dusting like you get with some Fudge covered Pretzels.

I remember those!

I got those when I had a sore throat as a kid , next to the pharmacy counter

Thanks for pushing my memory button

Jorge

• 1 month later...

New Hot Tamales Ice

gallery_9387_874_4728.jpg

I'm not a big fan of these.

They are the same shape as the Hot Tamales candy but are a pale blue with some white speckling, as you can see by the image scan.

There are a ka-billion mint candies out there. The Hot Tamales Ice candy are a spearmint flavor but they're not very strong. You wouldn't be able to use them as a breath mint should the need arise. The spearmint flavor is there but then disappears to be replaced by sugar gel texture you find with the regular Hot Tamales.

You would think with the "Ice" name that the mint would be "cooling" in the mouth and long lasting but it's not long-lasting and it's not cooling.

I vote thumbs down.

Tim Oliver

• 5 weeks later...

Reese's Whipss

gallery_9387_874_9048.jpg

Reese's has jumped on the "Less Fat" bandwagon (see the Mint 3 Musketeers post above) with this candy bar. They claim it has 40% less fat than a regular candy bar of similar size.

It tastes like a "lite" peanut butter 3 Musketeers candy bar. The fluffy peanut butter-flavored nougat inside the Whipss candy bar has a dry, marshmallow-y like texture. It's not very appealing though I suppose if you're watching your calorie intake, you'll make the sacrifice of texture.

Does it taste like a Reese's peanut butter candy bar? Not enough to recommend it. The chocolate-to-peanut butter ratio is lacking (not enough chocolate).

I don't eat candy bars very often, though if you look at all of my posts in this discussion you'd think I was a candy-holic :laugh:. So if I were to choose a candy bar to break my candy-fast it wouldn't be a Reese's Whipss. It's a very mediocre candy bar at best.

Tim Oliver

• 1 month later...

Bought a package of Ghiradelli chocolate "Sublime White Vanilla Dream" which was stickered NEW...on impulse at Target. Says that it is white chocolate with vanilla beans (with other natural flavors).

I know, white chocolate isn't truly chocolate.

Don't waste your time. Very waxy tasting with gritty bits (supposed to be vanilla beans?) very little discernable "vanilla" flavor. Lindt white chocolate is better, IMO.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Overall, a good candy bar. It's actually two small bars (this candy bar is noticeably skinnier than a regular Milky Way candy bar). The outer wrapping is the regular Milky Way silver foil but with a green tinge on the bottom half.

I wish the dark chocolate coating had been thicker to make this candy bar really stand out.

At first bite, I didn't think the mint was very strong (compared to the strong mint presence in a York Peppermint Patty). But it got stronger with each bite. After a while it did remind me of the flavor of a York Peppermint Patty. But where a York PP is dense and almost crisp, the Milky Way Dark Chocolate Mint candy bar is soft and fluffy, which was a little odd in the beginning because my head kept thinking "York Peppermint Patty" in flavor but not in chewing sensation.

If a York Peppermint Patty isn't available, this candy bar will do for that mint kick. The label also says it's 150 calories for both bars that make up the candy bar.

that looks more like a Three Musketeers than a Milky Way to me. :wink:

(which would account for the textural differences.)

that looks more like a Three Musketeers than a Milky Way to me. :wink:

(which would account for the textural differences.)

Thanks for catching this....too late to edit but I enjoyed a laugh at my senior moment. :biggrin: I meant 3 Musketeers, of course.

Tim Oliver

that said, i really enjoy the mint 3 musketeers. it's like the commercial says: it's light, it's relatively low in calories for an entire candy bar, and it's not too sweet.

Isn't it funny how it's a good candy bar but when that marshmallow-y texture is used in the Reese's Whipps, it doesn't translate as well?

Tim Oliver

• 1 month later...

Hershey's Milk Chocolate filled with Creamy Peanut Butter

gallery_9387_874_5649.jpg

The wrapper doesn't say "Limited Edition" so this must be a permanent addition to the Hershey's lineup.

This is the King Size version. The bar is 5 connected squares, each filled with peanut butter. There's a lot of peanut butter in each square, enough to give a mouthfeel/texture as if you've just eaten some peanut butter straight out of the jar.

For me, the yardstick for chocolate and peanut butter candy is a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. The balance between the two in this candy bar isn't quite the same as a Reese's (which is surprising since Hershey makes Reese's Peanut Butter Cups). The peanut butter here is much more realistic in texture though the flavor was surprisingly subdued. Perhaps they should try using Jif instead. :biggrin:

If you're craving the feel of real creamy peanut butter in your mouth, then this is the candy bar for you. It's no Reese's, but overall I'd say it's an okay candy bar.

Tim Oliver

• 1 month later...

I'll try to add pics later but the new Indiana Jones M&Ms are out. They come in regular, peanut & mint crisp flavors. There might be another but I can't remember right now. I decided to try the Mint Crisp. Visually there is a crispy mint flavored center (lighter than a whopper-type center and sort of shaped like a skittle), surrounded by a chocolate layer and of course, the candy shell. The crispy center gives a sort of break from straight up chocolate and is not overly minty. Just like the pirates of the caribbean M&Ms, these have little designs incorporated with the m. I know people either like mint or not. I do but I'm undecided on the mint in these because they have a sort of an after taste I am not fond of.

N.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

• 8 months later...

I discovered Nestle Tango cookies at work yesterday. One of my coworkers brought some in, along with some other Ecuadorian confection.

Cream-filled vanilla (?) cookies, covered in chocolate. Mmmmm.

There's something I really, really like about the flavor that I can't quite place my finger on. Sadly, I've never seen them around me. Two of my coworkers said I'd be able to find them in Queens. I'll probably just hope that one of them picks up a bag for me, since I'm almost never there. Won't hurt to keep my access to them restricted. :wink:

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

I gotta say... thank goodness for the bite-sized versions of candy bars out there. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I can't handle a whole candy bar anymore. My 5-year-old got a full sized 3 Musketeers bar in her Halloween basket and let's be honest, I'm not going to let her eat a whole candy bar... so mommy did it. I thought I was going to die. That is way too much candy for me. I can't imagine trying to choke down a whole mint version. I will agree that the mint version needs more chocolate. For me, the Take 5 is king. My husband and I will share one and it's just the right amount of candy and a great mix of sweet and salty.

• 1 month later...
xture as if you've just eaten some peanut butter straight out of the jar.

For me, the yardstick for chocolate and peanut butter candy is a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup.

ok toliver as i said in the pms thread i prefer the miniature pb cups as they provide the perfect ratio of pb to chocolate. just tried a hershey's whip bar and, while it is ok, the ratio just isn't right. and the filling is too light... guess johnnybird's or my peeps will have 3 candy bars to snarf.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 3 weeks later...