• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confessions of a Novelty Confection Fiend

jhlurie

Limited edition Hershey's White Chocolate with Almonds:

gallery_9387_874_1497.jpg

While the almonds were very THERE (a plus, in my book), the white "chocolate" was very mild in flavor. I'd pass on it.

Limited edition Dark Chocolate Almond Joy with Chocolate Flavored Coconut:

gallery_9387_874_8802.jpg

A nice attempt at something different, but not a winner. I didn't think the dark chocolate coating/exterior had a great dark chocolate flavor. There was no familiar dark chocolate bitterness...it tasted like ordinary chocolate.

As for the interior, the sweet coconut taste absolutely overpowered any chocolate flavoring. The chocolate flavoring should have been much stronger.

This was a winner, in my book - Hershey's Limited Edition Double Chocolate:

gallery_9387_874_12464.jpg

As you can sort of see by the picture, it's supposed to be four pieces of chocolate with a dark chocolate interior. It looks a little like Cadbury's Caramello...small blocks of chocolate with a caramel filling. The interior was of this candy is supposed to be dark chocolate but it tastes more like a caramel. Again, there wasn't really that dark chocolate bitterness.

Having said that, I thought this tasted EXACTLY like the Cadbury Caramel Eggs (younger cousin to the Creme Egg) that appear once a year at Easter time. I like those so it follows I thought this new Hershey candy was a winner, as well.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

cadbury flake when I can find it

Chunkie--haven't thought about those in years, they were good!  Do they still make them?

I have to mule in boxes of goodies to the US whenever I come over

Last week when I came in I got a bemused look from Customs ( after two hours waiting to get through immigration - you Americans must be soooo proud of Kennedy Airport ) as they pulled out two boxes, one filled with Flake, Ripples and Flake Twists - white and dark chocolate AND a huge box of Crunchie bars " Thank Crunchie it's Friday"

The one Chocolate I love which I can't get in the UK is an Australian "crunchie style" honeycomb bar called Violet Crumbles.

S

I had never heard of Cadbury Flake before reading your post, and after looking it up on the net I think I MUST try it. do you know of any places in the US that sell it? I live in DC currently. Thanks!!

"No matter where ya go, there ya are....and there ya go!"

Oh I love Milk Duds - and those pastel candy coated almonds. I am gonna break a tooth one of these days.

Back in the day when we went to the "Picture Show" (the word "Film" had not been introduced) I always got these chocolate kisses in a dark brown cardboard tube. Can't remember the name now.

By the time the movie ended the tube was all mooshed because I'd up-end it and put these deliciously sweet morsals into my mouth, one by one. By the time the show was over the candy was gone and I chewed on the cardboard container as we walked back home.

Back in the day when we went to the "Picture Show" (the word "Film" had not been introduced) I always got these chocolate kisses in a dark brown cardboard tube. Can't remember the name now.

Were they called Flicks? Gosh, I loved Flicks. They were made by Ghirardelli. Here's a picture: Click Here

And some info about the candy: Flicks Memories

Tim Oliver

Just a periodic reminder, folks. Please only post wrappers you photograph or scan yourself. We've had to delete a few recent posts from users who embedded photographs directly from manufacturer's websites.

Toliver, as always your sweet tooth amazes me. :biggrin: Keep up the excellent work.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Just a periodic reminder, folks.  Please only post wrappers you photograph or scan yourself.  We've had to delete a few recent posts from users who embedded photographs directly from manufacturer's websites.

Toliver, as always your sweet tooth amazes me. :biggrin:  Keep up the excellent work.

I'm enjoying taking one (or two or ten) for the team!

And all my posted images are scanned by me after *burp* consumption. :laugh:

Edited to add: It's odd but I don't really have a sweet tooth. I much prefer savory over sweet anyday. Again, I'm just doing this reporting for the benefit of eGullet. Yeah, that's it. :wink:

Edited by Toliver (log)

Tim Oliver

Hey Toliver.  I know they were not Flicks.  I think they were called "Eatmores" but I'm not sure.

Eat Mores are now a Hershey Canada product so it's no wonder I haven't heard of them before. :raz:

It's odd that the web site says they are the only Hershey Canada candy bar not coated in chocolate. Doesn't sound like what you ate...

And from this page (see the third post) it sounds like they were a "garbage" candy...made from factory leftovers. Again...doesn't sound like your description.

The mystery deepens...

Tim Oliver

Hey Toliver.  I know they were not Flicks.  I think they were called "Eatmores" but I'm not sure.

Eat Mores are now a Hershey Canada product so it's no wonder I haven't heard of them before. :raz:

It's odd that the web site says they are the only Hershey Canada candy bar not coated in chocolate. Doesn't sound like what you ate...

And from this page (see the third post) it sounds like they were a "garbage" candy...made from factory leftovers. Again...doesn't sound like your description.

The mystery deepens...

I lived deep in the heart of East Texas at the time so I can't imagine they were a Canadian product. The tube was dark brown - like the Hershey Bar .. so .. maybe we'll never know.

Recently tasted:

Ltd Ed Key Lime Almond Joy - White Chocolate coating, Key Lime flavored coconut, almond. Verdict: Ok.

Ltd Ed Passionfruit Almond Joy - Milk Chocolate coating, Passionfruit flavored coconut, almond. Verdict: Never Again.

I have a small bag of the Mega M&Ms waiting at home. I hope they are like the Shrek M&Ms of last year which were definitely not the same as the dark chocolate ones. The dark chocolate had a very burnt taste and the Shrek was milk chocolate.

N.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

I have a small bag of the Mega M&Ms waiting at home. I hope they are like the Shrek M&Ms of last year which were definitely not the same as the dark chocolate ones. The dark chocolate had a very burnt taste and the Shrek was milk chocolate.

I like them so much, I've been buying up every bag of Dark Chocolate peanut M&M's I can find. That's getting easier to do since the to-do over the film and its companion ad campaign have quietly subsided and they're being marked down every where. :smile:

Tim Oliver

Spotted this week (but not purchased) "Mega M&Ms".

M&M Minis were already kind of rip-off so I didn't indulge. But one of you lovely folks in welcome to go nuts and let us know if they taste any different.

I also noticed that there are approximately 9,251 different varieties of Hershey's kisses now. It's hard to even FIND a bag of the original.

EDIT - Duh. Natasha already spotted the Megas. Oh well. We eagerly await a report and if she can manage a shot of the packaging.

I like them so much, I've been buying up every bag of Dark Chocolate peanut M&M's I can find. That's getting easier to do since the to-do over the film and its companion ad campaign have quietly subsided and they're being marked down every where.

Toliver, personally I'm getting desperate for Dark Choco M&Ms. I'm having to go further and futher afield to even find them. My guess is that we might be treated to a return of them at some point, but they are waiting for another movie to tie them into somehow. :laugh:

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Anyone with nut allergies can just skip this post. :raz:

Reese's Big Cup with Nuts - Limited Edition

gallery_9387_874_909.jpg

This was good. It's a big ol' fat Reese's Peanut Butter Cup with chunks of peanuts. What's not to like? :laugh:

The only drawback is it's sold as a single cup. These monsters should be sold in the twin pack. Obviously, it's going to be marketed as an impulse item by the cash register at the late night convenience store nearest you. :cool:

Hershey's Nut Lovers - Limited Edition

gallery_9387_874_2951.jpg

Hershey's chocolate bar along with almonds, cashews, peanut and pecan pieces. Ignore the picture of whole nuts on the wrapper that is meant to mislead you.

As for taste, imagine a Mr. Goodbar but kicked up a notch. It's nutty in every bite.

The drawback is, as the label points out, it's pieces of nuts. It'd be great if you could get a better taste of the individual nut flavors but you don't because it's just pieces. However, I think the "nutty-in-every-bite" tilts this candy bar towards a "thumbs up" from me.

Another caveat is that it is a smaller bar than the regular Hershey Chocolate Bar. Where the regular Hershey bar has 4 columns of three rectangles, this bar is 3 columns of three rectangles. I suppose because it does contain a lot of nuts that they could justify the smaller bar for the "regular" price. :hmmm:

Tim Oliver

The mystery deepens...

I can verify the "garbage" aspect. I worked at Hershey briefly and heard stories of the EatMore bar, made from mixed up bits of other candy that didn't form correctly. There was a guy who would ladel cherry syrup into each batch, tasting it until it was "right."

Nifty News & Decent Deals - where I'm always listing more kitchen stuff than average people want to see...

gallery_15459_985_133122.jpg

A little late but I finally tried the mega m&ms. They're decent. I don't know why I keep trying the cheap chocolate thinking it will be better...that must be the novelty candy fiend part. The chocolate thing with these m&ms is hard for me to tell. They are labeled milk chocolate but they don't taste like the milk chocolate from the regular ones to me. They don't taste as burnt as the dark chocolate ones either. I'd say they are a hybrid.

N.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

The mystery deepens...

I can verify the "garbage" aspect. I worked at Hershey briefly and heard stories of the EatMore bar, made from mixed up bits of other candy that didn't form correctly. There was a guy who would ladel cherry syrup into each batch, tasting it until it was "right."

Oh Great ! Well, it was East Texas and probably as good as it was going to get. Why didn't I prefer a Hershey Bar? I think it was because I got a lot more candy in that tube and I was a prudent shopper.

• 5 months later...

New to my area...

Kit Kat Limited Edition Milkshake Flavor

gallery_9387_874_3.jpg

Very different...there's a definite malted taste to the candy bar (hence, the "Milkshake" name) but it's not as intense as, say, a Whopper Malted Milk ball tastes. Overall, I would give it a thumbs up.

Also new to my area...

Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Limited Edition Double Chocolate

gallery_9387_874_5304.jpg

I had high hopes for this version. What could be better than chocolate wrapped inside chocolate? But reading the smaller print on the label, inside the chocolate cup is "Chocolate Flavored Peanut Butter". Uhm...isn't that redundant when speaking of Reese's Peanut Butter cups? They already are peanut butter & chocolate.

So this version is chocolate covered chocolate flavored peanut butter. The big problem is that the chocolate flavored peanut butter still tastes just like peanut butter. The chocolate flavoring isn't different enough from the chocolate flavor in the cup to make much of a taste difference. It did taste a little less salty than a regular Reese's Peanut Butter Cup but that's a minor quibble. I'd pass on this edition of the peanut butter cup.

Tim Oliver

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

While I'm not sure I would call them a "novelty" confection, the new Hershey's Extra Dark line of chocolate bars is a big step up in quality from their regular milk chocolate bar:

http://www.hersheys.com/products/details/extradark/index.asp

I was able to get these 2 for $3 at Wallgreens last week. Definitely worth the money, I especially like the 60 percent with Macadamias and Cranberry. Eating a half a bar of these totally eliminates any chocolate craving you might have, and its definitely formulated for a much more adult palette than the kids stuff Hershey's normally makes.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 1 month later...

Hershey's Limited Edition Cookies 'n' Chocolate

gallery_9387_874_4046.jpg

This gets a thumbs up from me. Take the nice textural crunch you get from either a Nestle's Crunch Bar or a Hershey's Krackle Bar and add the subtle taste of chocolate cookie crumbs. It's a win-win combination, provided you like Hershey's chocolate in the first place.

Limited Edition Triple Chocolate Extra Crunchy Kit Kat Bar

gallery_9387_874_1436.jpg

Yes, this does taste different than the regular Kit Kat bar. Even a skosh better, perhaps. I think the chocolate wafer/cream (hard to tell where the taste of the chocolate wafer leaves off and the taste of the "chocolate cream" takes over) does make a difference.

And yes, it IS extra crispy so there is truth in advertising. The extra crispiness comes from the taller stack of crispy wafers. As pictured on the wrapper, it's one large bar instead of the standard 4 thin bars that you break apart.

Thumbs up.

Tim Oliver

• 4 weeks later...

Hubby and I tried the Reeses with caramel (http://www.hersheys.com/reeses/products/detail.asp?name=caramel) and really didn't like them. The texture combo was wierd and it was too sweet, even for us.

Add one to the Kit Kat list...we found a Tiramisu Kit Kat in the UK right before Easter. Sadly, I didn't get to try it as he gave it to a friend at work. We're going to get his folks to send over some more.

"Vegetables aren't food. Vegetables are what food eats."

--

food.craft.life.

The Lunch Crunch - Our daily struggle to avoid boring lunches

• 2 weeks later...

New white chocolate m&m's

gallery_15459_985_72864.jpg

gallery_15459_985_101482.jpg

Not bad.

enjoy!

N.

New white chocolate m&m's

Natasha, thanks for posting about these. I'm not a big fan of white chocolate but I'll have to keep an eye out for them.

Arrrrr, matey! :laugh:

The skull combined with the "M" on some of the candy is inventive.

Tim Oliver

• 4 weeks later...

Much earlier in the thread (like, 4 years ago), somebody mentioned the delightful Valomilk as being hard to find outside the Kansas City area. I have found that they are sold in all the convenience stores in Port Fourchon, Louisiana, very near Grand Isle. I've never found them elsewhere in Louisiana and I wonder how and why this happened. Though they are a K.C. treat, I will always associate them with driving up and down the Fourchon highway looking for Roseate Spoonbills.

You can also order Valomilk and other old-fashioned candies from Old Time Candy.

Edited by docbrite (log)