• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Low and lower carb ways of eating

NulloModo

That looks really good! ....what type of cheese is in there?

After purging my larder, turning 50, spending three days in Vancouver eating everything I could find, then coming back and making more food that contained mostly sugar starch and salt ...

thank goodness you bumped this thread because I am detoxing today and forever :raz: I feel like a hypertensive cow right now!

I have never tried Somersizing but if it is interesting doable and you want to I say try it ....I have to stick with what I know and keep it easy or I will not do it

Atkins is so easy ..when I needed to loose a large amt of wt I went with it and have stuck with it to keep the wt off ..well for the most part..I have a 10lb rule ..and seem to constantly be pushing the limits of it ...

when I hit the 10lb mark ....I have to diet so I do ...then I try to keep my carbs low (not induction low but pretty low) when the wt comes off again ...I try to live the rules of no flour or sugar....keep it off...until ..I can stand it no longer I cave in plow through all the food I can before I gain the 10lbs back .. ...and have to do it again ...

sounds kind of like an addict huh? I just think I have control is all :wacko:

keep the low carb dishes coming

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

HBK~

the recipe called for Swiss/Gruyere but I used cheddar.  Funny 'cause I made the comment that I followed the recipe exactly.....and apparently didn't !!  :laugh:  :laugh:  :hmmm:

well whatever cheese you used...it looks absolutely perfect I think!

did it taste as wonderful as it looks? can you share the recipe?

Piglet 

my friend sent me a bottle of Meyer Lemon olive oil to start my eating better this week on the right note..and let me tell you ..no carbs in olive oil and this is to die for ..so if you see it try it ..my lunch is tuna lox with beautiful feta cheese cucumbers and the olive oil on top ..

fan flipping tastic!!!

eta this is what she sent me ..worth every penny imho it is so wonderful I could just roll around in it like a puppy in stink! :wub:Meyer lemon olive oil

I may break my own rules about how I shop to order this when I run out ..or just whine a lot and she will send me more maybe?

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)

Piglet 

I may break my own rules about how I shop to order this when I run out ..or just whine a lot and she will send me more maybe?

I'd sure give the whining a whirl I mean if there's any chance at all y'know.

More fun plus the satisfaction of mission accomplished. :raz:

Well I am sitting here eating p-nut butter cookies, no no wait they are sugar free! But they came out a bit sandy in the mouth feel. So I'm gonna try 'em again in the interest of science of course and add a tad of molasses (well yeah that's kinda like sugar but how else yah gonna zap the sandiness). I might add another egg yolk and bump up the butter a bit.

:biggrin:

But I tell yah if all my ten poundseses that I've lost all somehow got subtracted at one time, I'd disappear in a ginormous poof of cellulite dust.

Edited by K8memphis (log)

my friend sent me a bottle of Meyer Lemon olive oil to start my eating better this week on the right note..and let me tell you ..no carbs in olive oil and this is to die for ..so if you see it try it ..my lunch is tuna lox with beautiful feta cheese cucumbers and the olive oil on top ..

fan flipping tastic!!!

eta this is what she sent me ..worth every penny imho it is so wonderful I could just roll around in it like a puppy in stink!  :wub:Meyer lemon olive oil

I love it , too. In fact, one of our local OO producers, PASOLIVO, has all sorts of citrus olive oils. (blood orange is my favorite!) They

sell out every year, tho, so you need to preorder (or come visit!)

Blood orange olive oil?? I am so there!

K8 I have a great sugarfree almond cookie recipe someplace and will post it ..no sandiness at all I bet if you ground peanuts you could make a wonderful peanut cookie ...I have tried to make sugar free peanutbutter cookies and they were always lousy so if you get it right please share the recipe...

right now no cookies for Heidi! I have to be strong and just focus...focus ..focus ...no snacks at all!

Thanks for the recipe ... am gonig to make that souffle on Thursday I think ...I was thinking cheddar with a bit of red chile in it ...see I am messing with the recipe already :raz:

I am really hoping to avoid the sugar detox headache this time ...so far so good ...in a way I deserve it but I hate suffering

Piglet 

this is a recipe I found and changed from Linda's Low carb recipe site... it has been changed so much over my testing period ...that even if I posted the link it does not look at all like the original recipe

1 cup of nut meal (I mix almond and coconut flours but I am thinking of trying peanut next time)

2 packets of Splenda 2 packets of cyclamates (or mix and match whatever sweeteners you like)

1/2 tsp of baking powder

1/4 tsp salt

1/2 stick unsalted butter

2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla, or whatever extract you want

stir everything together well and drop on parchment paper (or spray a baking sheet)

bake at 350 for about 12 min (watch them)

this recipe makes 8 cookies

Piglet 

this is a recipe I  found and changed from Linda's Low carb recipe site... it has been changed so much over my testing period ...that even if I posted the link it does not look at all like the original recipe

1 cup of nut meal (I mix almond and coconut flours but I am thinking of trying peanut next time)

2 packets of Splenda 2 packets of cyclamates (or mix and match whatever sweeteners you like)

1/2 tsp of baking powder

1/4 tsp salt

1/2 stick unsalted butter

2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla, or whatever extract you want

stir everything together well and drop on parchment paper (or spray a baking sheet)

bake at 350 for about 12 min (watch them)

this recipe makes 8 cookies

That sounds much better than trying to deal with the white flour based cookies that set off the carb triggers. :rolleyes:

You know I used the Splenda for baking. It makes stuff dry as dust.

I'm gonna try the little packets.

Oh yeah I bought some frustose too that has been sitting in the cupboard.

Wonder how quava would do...

Thank you, Heidi.

Y'know I eat more carefully than I ever did in my whole entire life and I cannot maintain my weight. Unless I go into super careful watch every morsel gorge on rabbit food mode. Which I am thankful that that works but I can only sacrifice so long y'know?

So I think I'm gonna try this test product. I take meds for thryroid so it has to be all kinds of easy safe pure contains no stimulants. "Most diets attack your lean body tissue therefore having the appearance of aggressive weight loss and will still leave large deposits of fat. When dieting stops the body yoyos or rebounds quickly with weight gains because it is storing fluids and fats again."

No kidding huh?

This company has products that are listed in the pdr and my sis-in-law is a licensed dietician and she's all over this stuff. I'm tired of trying to do this with food alone. Really. Way tired.

that cookie is really good I have to say and you can mix and match nuts and extracts..I have used all almond amaretto extract and pine nuts and that was really good....I dont like boxed Splenda..the packets are much better and if anyone you know is going to Canada or is in Canada and can send you some cyclamates then get some because they match perfectly with the Splenda taste wise ...(a little smidge of stevia is also for the third piece of the synergy here but I can never find my bottle for some reason) .. I also understand every single thing you are saying and wonder the same thing myself ..however my problem is I do cave and eat all the wonderful things I am missing after a few months of eating well and enjoying it ...argh it is just silly but it keeps happening so rather than make myself feel so guilty for it ..I am trying hard to keep it just in check..I mean at my age...blech...

Piglet 

Sometimes I just need CRUNCH.....and pork rinds are not always the answer. :wacko:

On Linda's Low Carb site there is a cracker recipe made with almond flour that I really like as a substitue. You can even put cheese on it. I think it has flax and sesame seeds (can't find the recipe right now). Seems to hold the line for me :laugh:

I know what you mean about crunch and I love cheese even alone but sometimes you just need a crunchy cracker to carry it to your mouth!

thanks for the tip..

I will go and look at her site and see...

Linda put a lot of effort into that site and I forgot about it until the cookie was mentioned ..anyway as much as I will eat anything flax seeds really upsets my tummy ...I did find (as mentioned before I think)..both chia and basil seeds contain the same omegas..lots of fiber to nullify the carbs .. and pretty much no flavor to speak of ..just texture .. when they are ground up work just like the flax (no tummy upset) so I will try the crackers with those.....after I loose this poundage again ...argh argh argh!

Piglet 

try this test product.

Inquiring minds want to know................. :huh:

It's called BiosLife Slim -- not on the market yet I don't think.

The BiosLife juju is what is listed in the pdr as a cholesterol

getter ridder of. I mean I haven't actually looked it up--I took

my sis-in-law's word for it.

About the crunch factor--an idea is to fry little pinches of cheese in

a non-stick skillet and make cheese crisps--great on salad.

Yes the fried crisps also make great nachos but I will over eat them for sure and always wondered if the carbs went up as you fry the fat out of them? ..I put a pinch of red chile and some sesame seeds with cheddar cheese crisps and it works perfectly ..I love chile and sesame together ...I am hungry today! ..still no headache from sugar detox ..maybe I got lucky this time?

I even cut back to coffee just at breakfast and lunch ...we will see ..

do you guys ever use fitday.com? It is free...and I find it to be very helpful for nutritional counts and for accountablity when I am feeling myself slipping ...it used to be a pain in the butt but seems much more user friendly now..it remembers your favorites so it is easy to keep track ..not only that but it had chia seeds in there! go figure!

PS yes I would love the recipe Doc feel free to pm me thanks!

Piglet 

Here we go~I THOUGHT I had posted it before. This is a duplicate of a post of mine in the "Homemade Cracker" thread.......

I've never made crackers before but find when I am eating Low carb that I just need that crunch. Found this Low Carb recipe that I really like a lot (with my adjustments, of course ! :wink: )

SESAME ALMOND CRACKERS

3 ounces almond flour, 3/4 cup

1 egg white

3/8 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

1/8 teaspoon onion powder

2-3 teaspoons white or black sesame seeds

1/4 cup flaxmeal

Mix all of the ingredients well in a small bowl.

Roll each piece of dough into a ball and squish on parchment paper.

Prick them with a fork.

Bake at 325º for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.

Makes 24 crackers

Can be frozen

Per Cracker: 23 Calories; 2g Fat; 1g Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; .5g Net Carbs

I was reading the Atkins book again last night trying to remotivate myself ...I had never made the "Revolution Rolls" recipe in there ...but thought what the heck they are basically just kind of a souffle piled on a cookie sheet so what is the big deal? anyway they are fluffy and taste good but not "bready" at all but sturdy!..my plans for this "roll" is to put some curried chicken salad on it and see what it tastes like as an actual low carb sandwich ..I am not being inovative trust me!!! this is just a rip off recipe I wanted to share with you ... did not like the idea of the cottage cheese and wanted to add some fiber to the recipe ...I am sure someone someplace has done this variation ..because versions of these are every freaking where being touted as the cure all for the low carb diet blues (have you guys made them ever?)

....I googled them to see if there was a better recipe than in the book ..and about 49485737 sites came up so this is what I ended up doing

6 extra large eggs separated whites beaten until stiff

blend into the yolks

6 tbls of mayo and 2 tble ground fine chia (or flax) seeds for body

fold the yolks carefully into the eggs then pile onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment and sprinkle with seeds of choice (sesame here) ...back at 325 (mine is convection so watch them) for 30 min ..this recipe makes six large ones or 12 tiny ones ..

I am yearning to fill them with whipping cream and put some cocoa on top ..but that is not what this is all about now is it??? or is it...hmmmm

this is actually golden brown on top the camera is really hard to use it leaves everything bright white

gallery_51681_4569_92890.jpg

Piglet 

I've made these before, too. They were OK, I am not a big sandwich person but it seems like a good thing to have around for all that leftover meat :wacko:

Your recipe looks interesting. I'll try it! (I make these in muffin top pans.)

I've made these before, too. They were OK, I am not a big sandwich person but it seems like a good thing to have around for all that leftover meat  :wacko:

Your recipe looks interesting. I'll try it! (I make these in muffin top pans.)

I think the muffin top pans would work perfectly then they would be uniform I showed you the best one of the batch!

they are good for what they are ..and I love bread but these are NOT bread ..just an alternative like carob to chocolate maybe? who knows ..

did you make the orignal recipe? or a variation of it? I was astounded to see the amount of attention they have on the internet there must be a lot of folks eating /or trying to eat low carb out there

Piglet 

I did make that flourless souffle the other night and it really kind of resembled a revolution roll, pretty much the same thing. For the rev rolls, I've used cream cheese and they are sturdy. I saw on one board that someone used silicone egg rings to bake them in, they were more uniform that way.