• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Low and lower carb ways of eating

NulloModo

While I am thinking now about this topic, I'll just make another comment. There are many low carb types of plans out there besides Atkins; South Beach and Protein Power being two of the more famous.

Just a bit of a warning to all the good folks here at egullet, if you are thinking of trying the Kimkins diet, please google it and read as much as you can, to make an informed decision. A lot of folks consider it very unhealthy (and I leave my comments at that!)

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

thanks, mrsadm, for the info. Sounds good for those times when spaghetti squash (again!) just won't cut it. A low impact indulgence, as it were :raz: Can you get it at Von's/Ralphs/Albertsons? says so on the website but just wondered if it is really here.

the Kimkin's thing sounds radical. Not a way to maintain, and I am sure that I couldn't do it for a week ! :shock:

Off Topic if I see one more thing online about kimkins I am going to loose my lunch...

On Topic I am ready for the chemicals .

.I need something sweet or I will toss myself on a sword today ...

so I made what I think is the lowcarb cheesecake to beat all cheesecakes

this is NOT exact science however so feel free to improvise

very Southwest flavored to me ..it smells to die for and looks wonderful as well as sugarless

2- 8 oz packages of cream cheese

1 cup sour cream

1 can cooked pumpkin

1/8 cup dutch cocoa

1/8 cup regular cocoa

1 tsp of vanilla

4 eggs

3 packets of Splenda mixed with 3 packets of cyclamates (or whatever sweeteners you want to use) and a pinch of stevia

1/4 cup strong coffee

mix above until smooth and put in a greased cheesecake pan

then mix together the following

1//2 cup partially smashed pumpkin seeds

1/2 tsp of freshly ground cinnamon

a pinch of salt ..

1 Splenda and 1 pkg of cyclamates (or two Splenda)

stir the pumpkin seeds into the cheesecake mixture allow several to just sit on top for garnish

bake at 350 for about 40 min or until pick comes out clean

cool

serve with minted whipped cream .or as is

this is my low carb breakfast for a week

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

That sounds beyond fabulous. Thanks for sharing.

Apparently I'm glad I know nothing about kimkins

However, this is what I do when I need a safe fix.

It's adapted from the SouthBeach Diet Book

Pancakes

I toast in a dry skillet:

a half cup old fashioned oats

Whir that in a blender with:

4 egg whites

a quarter cup low fat cottage cheese

and some pecans

vanilla

and a ton of saigon cinnamon.

Just make pancakes out of it. It's a thin batter. Brown them well--increases flavor. Doubling it makes enough pancakes for two people to really gorge out without ruining your life that day. Seriously. It's a phase 2 SB recipe which is the long term weight loss phase. So it does not mess (me) you up.

I'd like to say how discreet I am with the sugar free maple syrup (Log Cabin) but I pour it on like I'm single handedly putting out a large forest fire. And and and a ton of fruit, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries strawberries or whatever I can find. Umm and I use the spray butter stuff as the cakes come out of the skillet.

It's a dynamite safe gorge for me.

Edited to say: I double it for two people. It's only a one person recipe as is.

Edited by K8memphis (log)

We eat beaucoups of fish.

Here's a nice remoulade recipe we use all the time.

horseradish, like a tablespoon or two*

half as much nice dijon mustard or nice honey mustard

coupla talbespoons of mayo

some lemon juice, a bit

then like a cup or so of plain yogurt.

Easy peasy. Real good. Light and flavorful.

*Just whatever is at the deli section. Creamy hot already grated horseradish.

Thanks, Cali, for the tip about Catelli. Had no idea they made a "smart" pasta. Will try it out. And will search for this thing called Dreamfields next time I'm south of the line.

The hardest thing on earth will be giving up the white stuff - sugar, dairy, rice, pasta and potatoes - but if the pay off of feeling healthier and more energetic is real, I'll give it a shot. I assume it's OK to splurge once a week and include one of these things in your diet. Not an entire cheesecake or pot of spuds, of course, but one simple serving to quell the craving.

Still wondering if it's unacceptable to allow a teaspoon of sugar in my morning coffee. When diets talk of eliminating the evil white foods, do they really mean even that teaspoon of sugar? And that tablespoon of milk in the coffee? Is it really that harmful to the cause? Do I have to be that militant?

Still wondering if it's unacceptable to allow a teaspoon of sugar in my morning coffee. When diets talk of eliminating the evil white foods, do they really mean even that teaspoon of sugar? And that tablespoon of milk in the coffee? Is it really that harmful to the cause? Do I have to be that militant?

I think first, you have to make the decision about what kind of low-carb diet you're going to follow. Atkins, South Beach, etc. or do-it-yourself. If you haven't already done so (and it sounds like you haven't), get some books on the topic and read up a bit. Even if you don't want to follow a particular diet (like Atkins) strictly, you should at least read about them to understand the basics. Then decide for yourself what should or shouldn't be allowed in your own low-carb diet.

FWIW, most low-carb diets I've read have you eliminate all sugars and white starches (also most fruits, etc.) at the beginning, which would mean no sugar, not even a teaspoonful, in your coffee. Then you can slowly add in different foods at different stages (which foods will depend on which plan you're following).

Edited by prasantrin (log)

Thanks, Cali, for the tip about Catelli. Had no idea they made a "smart" pasta. Will try it out. And will search for this thing called Dreamfields next time I'm south of the line.

The hardest thing on earth will be giving up  the white stuff - sugar, dairy, rice, pasta and potatoes - but if the pay off of feeling healthier and more energetic is real, I'll give it a shot. I assume it's OK to splurge once a week and include one of these things in your diet. Not an entire cheesecake or pot of spuds, of course, but one simple serving to quell the craving.

Y'know for me, yes I should be and usually am that militant overall. Because the issue for me is that this daliance will likely set off a carb craving. Carb cravings are ultimately insatiable plus I have the added motivation that it will eventually make me ill. Y'know what it's like to be hungry for something and never figure out what it is though not for trying? I mean you're eating everything in sight, that's a carb craving. Milk is not a problem though unless there's a lactose issue.

It just depends on how successful you want or need to be. If your health and weight are fine, then sure, go ahead. If you want to see genuine results then you naturally would want to adhere to a prescribed diet. I use SouthBeach for my basis. It is alarmingly accurate if one sticks to it.

Another thing about it for moi. The order in which I eat my food matters. I could not start my day with my dessert like hummingbirdkiss is doing. I can have the occassional pancake binge. But that is pure Southbeach--except I add the pecans which is Southbeachy too. That's how low carb low fat works for me. I've been at it about three years next month. So if I do come upon a carb craving I can look back on the day and see where I've had too many carbs, carbs beget carbs.

I read that childhood diabetes is on the rise, rather dramatically too so I think it's pretty important.

I'm really thankful I have restored my health to this point. It's really worth it except for the whole not getting to eat cookies all the time. :biggrin:

And the splurging once a week is after spending over a year on the diet and maintaining my bmi (body mass index) in a good way. I mean it just all depands on what you want. You wanna eat sugar more than you want to be low carb then you've made your choice...but you gotta be some kind of committed to stick to it.

But truly as Rona said, you need to research it out for yourself and get an understanding of how it can work for you. Which regimine would be the one you would like best if indeed there is one.

But yes, no sugar. After the withdrawal, you're fine. It is an addiction.

There is a new cookbook out now for low carb, "Carb Wars" (I have to figure out how to create a link that benefits egullet) that has a good synopsis of the major low carb diets out there today. If you're not sure, check out that book. Or research online, of course.

In my own experience, the more carbs you eliminate the faster/more weight you will lose. So if you want a teaspoon of sugar go ahead but it will slow you down or stall your weight loss. On Atkins it is very strict in the beginning, then less so, then when you reach your weight loss goal you can gradually add in higher carbs, so long as you don't start gaining again.

You could try a teaspoon of Splenda in your coffee. I use it every day in my morning tea.

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

The hardest thing on earth will be giving up  the white stuff - sugar, dairy, rice, pasta and potatoes - but if the pay off of feeling healthier and more energetic is real, I'll give it a shot. I assume it's OK to splurge once a week and include one of these things in your diet. Not an entire cheesecake or pot of spuds, of course, but one simple serving to quell the craving.

I have to taper into low carb..especially after what I did to myself the past few weeks ...it has been horrible honestly ..try to give up things one at a time instead of a huge purge ..then you can see what happens!

and I agree with Mrsadan for sure ...read stuff there are tons of books, Low Carb support boards.... some radical and one sided and some very mellow and all about you doing your own thing ..depends on what you need or want I guess ..

I have to give up sugar first or I will get no where with weightloss

my husband on the other hand eats a low carb diet all day but puts sugar in his coffee and will not give it up ..he does fine however and looses weight anyway

given the three days of bitchiness and headaches I am sure I needed to give it up for a while ..I felt like a drunk must feel coming off a binge I swear ...

now that that is given up I will give up the rest of the rice, flour and potatoes

I basically do the middle Atkins (except I have to taper into it and can not just quit everything as I said above) ...I think it is 1992 version ....I dont know where the book is or I would look ..after all these years I pretty much know it by heart! ..it was after the radical starvation diet of the 70s but before the introduction of Atkins bars and shakes as actual "food" (??????)

Carb Wars is a good book it can help you find something that works...

back to the real food talk

Work day lunch ideas are hard for me ..especially lately ..so any easy and fast good ideas would be appreciated...

favorite..really fast..easy to pack and cheap lunch for me is cream cheese slammed between sliced jicama and/or red bell pepper (like a sandwich) people make fun of this constantly where I work ..but it is good ...and keeps me full all afternoon .

If go out Pho is a graat fast and inexpensive option...I just ask for steamed sprouts and no noodles

I will take dinner leftovers but I need more ideas for a more enjoyable lunchy lunch please?

Piglet 

My staple for lunch is a big salad. I buy the styrofoam carry out trays and just make me a cool salad. I place my fork and napkin and salad dressing on top of the closed box and wrap the whole thing in plastic wrap so it's easy to carry.

I cut up everything into a big bowl and eat off one salad for several days. I chiffonade the romaine and I make the big crunchy chunks of packed iceberg lettuce. Then daily I place the greens & stuff in the box and add toppings like some canned beans like black beans or garbanzos sometimes, kidney beans or whatever and use a tablespoon or two of that depending on how much other protein I have, a big dollop or two of low fat cottage cheese and balsamic vinegar and oil or ranch. A few nuts maybe. Then sometimes I sub in some nice chicken or turkey or tuna or something for the beans. I like the raspberry balsamic vinegar. Dunk my triscuits in the leftover dressing. Works for me.

I love to not have to think about my meals. Southbeach has a couple nice refrigerated deli meals and a couple nice frozen meals. Love to grab a box & go. I got sick on thier frozen pizza when it first came out so I'm not recommending that one.

But salads are my lunch. Oh yeah and most importantly I cook a nice fresh perfectly timed hard boiled egg and shred it on top. It wilts the salad a bit nicely and I love the egg on there. I add the dressing right before I eat so the salad does not sog out.

salad salad salad

For me, going cold turkey on no carbs at all is how it works best. Everybody is different. I'm headache free by the third day for sure if not the second. I mean I'm off sugar for the rest of my life. I do not use sugar at all like I used too. Sugar is not my friend. While on vacation there was no choice a time or two so no worries but ixnay on the ugarsay for moi. Three years now.

Sometimes for lunch I will grab a cheese stick and wrap some nice lunchmeat around it. Easy peasy. If I felt like it some cilantro mayo in there would be dynamite, but I don't usually make a fuss. The salads take enough effort. :biggrin:

thanks so much you are right salads are best..they are easy keep well and you can put all kinds of things on them ...

sugar is a demon that is for sure ..I like what you say about carbs beget carbs K8mephis!!! very true! the more sugar I eat the more I crave ..but this nightmare of a patch I am going through has seemed insurmountable(still does some days that is for sure) ...and my diet has gone to shit

my mind is clear enough now that I can see that eating poorly is not goiing to resolve my deep grief that is for sure

but I feel to crappy yet to go cold turkey so one thing at a time and sugar is the worst precipitate to eating a bunch of crap nonstop ...and I dont think it helps with my coping to eat poorly... ..I barely have the energy somedays to brush my hair and get out the door...so thinking about making the healthy meals (that I previously did with delight and eas) is really hard

so any and all help is wonderful ..I think I will just stop on my way to work tomorrow and buy a big thing of premade salad greens and some marinated feta cheese to toss on it and just have it at work for the next few days...normally I adore the pleasure of making food ...but right now it is hard

my husband bought a really good pub pizza for lunch today and I am wanting to do a face plant in it but will refrain ..

Piglet 

Thanks, guys. You're right, I do need to read up more on the topic. I only have a passing acquaintance with the idea of low-carb diets. I'm really just carrying around 10 pounds too many. I'd like to lose that, but the main thing I hear, and what appeals to me, is that some diets (low carb?) give you back your energy, and that's what I'd really like. I feel so sluggish all the time. Maybe that's the sugar. (Especially around this time of year, I've kinda overdosed on chocolates....)

I think what I'll do is just go the moderation route: cut down on portion sizes, cut out most sugar and bad fats, increase consumption of fruits, veggies and fibres, and step up the exercise. If that doesn't work, I'll purge carbs entirely. I guess I just hate the idea of eliminating entirely an whole food group from my diet, even if temporarily... I'd admire you guys who have the resolve and determination. Oh, and will power!

no Feedbag I could never eliminate a food group!

I love food way too much for that ..for me low carb is easy ..a no brainer actually ...but it is low carb not NO carbs! I can eat about 40-60 carbs a day to loose weight.. (I dont have a lot to loose either really)

so I am not drastic in this

it is just that foods like sugar, white flour, white rice and potatoes can really pack weight on me faster than any other foods I eat..the keep me hungry for more more more .Like K8memphis said "carbs beget carbs" .and for some folks that is an issue..but fruit, fats, meats, dairy, veggies and even grains all good!

I think the bottom line for me has been in all of this (until recently that is) was to eat a wide variety of fresh foods...in season and as close to the source where they were produced..

and yes move your body .....for me that would be the hunting and gathering bit of eating I call food shopping exercise!

Piglet 

When I said no carbs at all--that's what I do for a two week period when I need to. I've done that like once a year for the past three. If I didn't gain weight back I wouldn't need to do it again. So I'm being real good this time. Don't wanna gain that weight again.

I think I got that 'carbs beget carbs' line from a Soutbeach book it's so true.

I've been on South Beach for about a month and love it. Think I could live this way forever. I do miss pasta and sugar and have found two great products.

I add agave nectar to my ice tea and homemade yogurt. It is really concentrated, doesn't take much and I feel so much better using that than chemicals.

Also, I love the Ronzoni whole wheat thin spaghetti. Not more than once a week, though.

I am wondering if any South Beach experts know if King Arthur's White Whole Wheat Flour is cheating. I recently bought a bag. We love an occasional whole wheat roll, not just sure whether this white whole wheat flour is legal.

Roxie

I've been on South Beach for about a month and love it.  Think I could live this way forever.  I do miss pasta and sugar and have found two great products.

I add agave nectar to my ice tea and homemade yogurt.  It is really concentrated, doesn't take much and I feel so much better using that than chemicals.

Also, I love the Ronzoni whole wheat thin spaghetti.  Not more than once a week, though.

I am wondering if any South Beach experts know if King Arthur's White Whole Wheat Flour is cheating.  I recently bought a bag.  We love an occasional whole wheat roll, not just sure whether this white whole wheat flour is legal.

Roxie

I'm not an expert on Southbeach. But I mean if you can once in a while enjoy a nice roll and not mess yourself up y'know I mean why not. But on Phase 1 or 2 it would be counterproductive. Don't you think?

Where do you find agave nectar? Health food store I guess?

Have you tried the Airforce carbonated drinks? Some of those are sweetened with agave.

I've been on South Beach for about a month and love it.  Think I could live this way forever.  I do miss pasta and sugar and have found two great products.

I add agave nectar to my ice tea and homemade yogurt.  It is really concentrated, doesn't take much and I feel so much better using that than chemicals.

Also, I love the Ronzoni whole wheat thin spaghetti.  Not more than once a week, though.

I am wondering if any South Beach experts know if King Arthur's White Whole Wheat Flour is cheating.  I recently bought a bag.  We love an occasional whole wheat roll, not just sure whether this white whole wheat flour is legal.

Roxie

I'm not an expert on Southbeach. But I mean if you can once in a while enjoy a nice roll and not mess yourself up y'know I mean why not. But on Phase 1 or 2 it would be counterproductive. Don't you think?

Where do you find agave nectar? Health food store I guess?

Have you tried the Airforce carbonated drinks? Some of those are sweetened with agave.

I get agave nectar at Central Market (a chain in Texas) but it's probably at Whole Foods as well. I did some reading on white whole wheat flour and looks like it's South Beach legal. Every once in a while. I'll keep an eye out for Airforce, thanks.

I just found out I am grossly anemic! I am shocked! ..I mean I am a nurse know the symptoms .. I would flip out at the numbers I have if I saw them on one of my patients! .....I thought this tremendous fatigues had to do with my grief or hormones

...so today I am going to try to embrace my love for cooking again ..by putting my favorite Hispanic radio station on..blasting music and making a huge pot of Caldo de Res ..I have friends coming over for dinner ..and really need to start cooking again...so I am leaving the casava and potatoes in....I can just eat around them (carbs in broth does not freak me out and I dont count them) ..this is a great soup to make (if you have not tried it you should!) ,,,Foodtv has a great recipe listed for it that sounds like the same way I make it ... and you can make it very low carb just swap out the starchy veg for the LC kind you like ..diakon for potatoes, add more chayote ..whatever...

thank goodness for a food community like this! ..nice diversion/distraction when you are not feeling great...and I learn something new everytime I visit!

I have never tried agave nectar but have seen it..can you tell me about it ...what it tastes like what kind of things you use it for ..does it bake?

Piglet 

I just found out I am grossly anemic! I am shocked! ..I mean I am a nurse know the symptoms .. I would flip out at the numbers I have if I saw them on one of my patients! .....I thought this tremendous fatigues had to do with my grief or hormones

...so today I am going to try to embrace my love for cooking again ..by putting my favorite  Hispanic radio station on..blasting music and making a huge pot of Caldo de Res ..I have friends coming over for dinner ..and really need to start cooking again...so I am leaving the casava and potatoes in....I can just eat around them (carbs in broth does not freak me out and I dont count them)  ..this is a great soup to make (if you have not tried it you should!) ,,,Foodtv has a great recipe listed for it that sounds like the same way I make it ... and you can make it very low carb just swap out the starchy veg for the LC kind you like ..diakon for potatoes, add more chayote ..whatever...

thank goodness for a food community like this! ..nice diversion/distraction when you are not feeling great...and I learn something new everytime I visit!

I have never tried agave nectar but have seen it..can you tell me about it ...what it tastes like what kind of things you use it for ..does it bake?

I have been using agave nector for about 3 months. My son owns a organic juice bar and they use it for natural sweetening. I have only used it in tea and my homemade yogurt, but I have read that it can be used in baking. I use the Madhava brand, light, though I have used the amber in the past. I read on Madhava's website it has a glycemic index of 32. The only other thing I have used it in was cranberry/orange sauce for Thanksgiving.

For the anemia, I would start packing in the spinach....or is that an old wives' tale?

Good luck!

I just found out I am grossly anemic! I am shocked! ..I mean I am a nurse know the symptoms .. I would flip out at the numbers I have if I saw them on one of my patients!

Do you know why your counts are so low? I hope your doctor is taking a look.

I am so happy to have found a low carb link on egullet. I started Atkins in July, and have lost about 20lbs. This is probably the first holiday season that I have encountered, where I didn't gain any weight. I didn't lose a lot (maybe collectively 4 pounds throughout the season, off and on) but didn't gain. I also did indulge in some of my favorite carb loaded foods on special days. Now that the holidays are over, I am back on track. I think that is the good thing about Atkins, you can have a bad day, but get back on the horse the next day, with hopefully minimal consequences.

I just ordered this book from Amazon:

"A Complete Low Carb Lifestyle: An Executive Chef's Low Carb Lifestyle Culinary Guide"

Gregory Pryor C. E. C.; Hardcover; $14.99

I guess he was the exec. chef for Atkins. He's also the guy that moderated the forums sometimes regarding Crabquick bake mix. I haven't received the book yet, but when I do, I'll let you all know how it is.

Last night, we made a rendition of a favorite soup. We call it Leeky Sausage Soup.

The way we modified it was to not use potatoes (well we used 2 small red potatoes, which in the end didn't really add anything, since they pretty much melted down)

an extra pound of sausage

extra spinach in addition to the chard

The store was out of leeks, so we used 3 bunches of green onions.

Overall, it was really good and very filling. I really only could eat a half of a bowl.

Hoping to hear more great ideas from this thread!

Stephanie~

That soup looks great.

Please keep us posted on the book. Looks interesting but it is hard to know without looking inside. Has anyone else out there seen this one? (Odd, but it comes up as $33 on Amazon through the link :shock: )

Stephanie~

That soup looks great.

Please keep us posted on the book. Looks interesting but it is hard to know without looking inside. Has anyone else out there seen this one? (Odd, but it comes up as $33 on Amazon through the link  :shock: )

It does come up at that price, but I went through and got one of the used/new from other buyers at the cheaper price. Of course, you have to wait forever and a day to get it. I ordered it on the 29th of December. I wouldn't have paid that much for that book without much more knowledge. I'll keep you posted.