• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Low and lower carb ways of eating

NulloModo

ok low carb eaters this was a very good breakfast!

I split one of those "rolls" and nuked some jicama with lime juice let it cool to room temp...then added one packet of Splenda to it (that is a great way to use jicama if you have not tried it do!)..layered 2 tbls of heavy cream whipped and a sprinkle of coarse ground cinnamon ..only one packet of sweetener in the entire thing...so it did not taste too sweet but was nice with the lime juice..jicama is sweet anyway

try this! very good and I htink about 3 maybe 4 carbs in the whole thing? plus the fiber from the chia seed ..

gallery_51681_4569_30520.jpg

I am so crappy at plating ...enjoy the view instead!

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

ok if you have any doubts about the cookies I posted the recipe for above ..just look at these babies...I made four large ones because I knew I would eat two and I like big cookies!

they come to about 300 calories and maybe max of 6 carbs wth at least 4 grams of fiber so that is really good ..I used two packets of sweetener you may want more and I also added a few pine nuts

gallery_51681_4569_20620.jpg

I like them ..not as much as cookies made with sugar ..I can not even compare them really ..these are a good for you and good tasting snack is all

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

• 2 weeks later...

Now Cleo has added a recipe for Low Carb Taco Shells for taco salads. I really like the way this woman thinks :raz:

CLEOCHATRA'S TACO SHELLS (WITH PIX)

The pizza I made was just as good cold/reheated as it was fresh (well, almost) and I can definitely imagine having some in the fridge for snacking. Filling and high intensity flavor. Small pieces are just fine. (Down 1 1/2 lbs from yesterday :wink: )

Now Cleo has added a recipe for Low Carb Taco Shells for taco salads. I really like the way this woman thinks  :raz: 

CLEOCHATRA'S TACO SHELLS (WITH PIX)

The pizza I made was just as good cold/reheated as it was fresh (well, almost) and I can definitely imagine having some in the fridge for snacking. Filling and high intensity flavor. Small pieces are just fine. (Down 1 1/2 lbs from yesterday  :wink: )

I'm going to have to try her stuff, it looks really good. Thanks for finding this.

I was really pleased with her pizza, not so sure about the 'lasagna'. (I haven't tried it yet.)

The taco bowl looks good and will be on the menu as soon as I can figure out a bowl to cook it on :unsure:

I was really pleased with her pizza, not so sure about the 'lasagna'. (I haven't tried it yet.)

The taco bowl looks good and will be on the menu as soon as I can figure out a bowl to cook it on  :unsure:

do you have a small stainless steel bowl? That might work.

No, but a good thought. Looks like she used glass. I think she starts it out at 450' so I'd be hesitant.........

ETA: looking at it now, I see that she starts @ 450' and then drops it to 350' when she puts them back in on the bowls.

Edited by dockhl (log)

No, but a good thought. Looks like she used glass. I think she starts it out at 450' so I'd be hesitant.........

I'd be worried about the glass. If you have a restaurant supply store near your, or even on line, they are super cheap. I have a bunch that I got for a bout a buck each

Restaurant supply ? Hah. I live in Paso.............. :sad:

no, seriously, we really don't have anything like that here. A great place to live, otherwise. :wink:

I'll check online; I should have some anyway !

you know what else she does? She make those funny "Revolution Rolls" and carries them with her so she can get a burger, etc, and not have get it lettuce wrapped. I never would have thought of that.

If you guys would just eat 100% whole wheat carbs instead of enriched white flour you wouldn't have to be so nuts about counting carbs...it's all about glycemic index. I eat at least 2 of bread/rice/pasta every day and you could wash your linens on my stomach.

If you guys would just eat 100% whole wheat carbs instead of enriched white flour you wouldn't have to be so nuts about counting carbs...it's all about glycemic index.

I don't eat white carbs, period. (Except a little rice sometimes when making one of Ah Leung's yummy dishes!) As for whole wheat....I can eat whole wheat breads but pasta.........

Whole Wheat Pasta thread

I think they taste like dirt. :wacko:

You could wash your linens on my stomach.

Now THAT is a disgusting thought! :laugh: (Plz don't take personally :raz: )

If you guys would just eat 100% whole wheat carbs instead of enriched white flour you wouldn't have to be so nuts about counting carbs...it's all about glycemic index.  I eat at least 2 of bread/rice/pasta every day and you could wash your linens on my stomach.

While I agree that certain whole wheat items are much better for you and that the glycemic index is also very important, no it's just not that easy. I cannot eat two servings of those kind of carbs a day without weight gain. Shoot I couldn't eat one serving daily without incurring weight gain. Some folks have thyroid and metabolism issues besides the triggering effect that eating carbs even the good ones can set off. Makes you want more. Sets off a chain reaction. One careful serving once in a while maybe. Two servings daily, no way.

I'm happy that works for you though.

And there's some great ww pasta out there. I've had that crummy kind but there's good stuff too. I can eat oat and corn based products much easier than stone ground whole wheat. But not daily.

If you guys would just eat 100% whole wheat carbs instead of enriched white flour you wouldn't have to be so nuts about counting carbs...it's all about glycemic index.  I eat at least 2 of bread/rice/pasta every day and you could wash your linens on my stomach.

Some of us have an automatic circuit that feeds into the "carbs beget carbs" syndrome. One serving of even whole grain unprocessed carbs creates an insane craving for "more, more, more". Moderation is almost physically not an option. I do see your point in general for "normal" eaters.

• 3 weeks later...

Tonight for dinner I made Cleo's Spanish Rice.

Added some ground beef and a few extra spices. It was really good. Gives the impression of eating rice. Quite mind fooling. Today I also made the "tortillas" for the enchiladas. Maybe I'll have those in the next few days, I have some left over chicken.

• 2 weeks later...

So call me lazy for not looking before asking but y'know the dehydrated veggie chips you can get at the store? Not the deep fried ones. The ones that come in the clear plastic containers. How bad on carbs/sugars are they? I mean they are made from potatoes, carrots, squach, taro, green beans, non hydrogenated canola oil, dextrin, sea salt and sulfer dioxide. But I mean they are dehydrated. Really crispy and a great substitute for chips for a chipaholic. But they are probably bad huh. But not as bad as chips hopefully.

They are sooo good. They don't make me get a carb craving. That's gotta count for something.

Okay, so a while back, I tried the jicama home fries, wasn't a huge fan of them, the jicama is too sweet. What I am doing today, which is much closer to potato is turnip home fries! Turnips are about 6 grams of carbs per cup. I boiled them first to get them tender and then saute with onions and peppers. They aren't too shabby. I am paring them with a sausage and spinach breakfast casserole, which is sausage/onion sauteed, placed in baking dish. Cut up jarred roasted peppers sprinkled on top and then frozen spinach. Then you make the batter of 8 eggs, 2 cups of milk (I used half and half) I cup of flour (I used the carb quick bake mix), Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning. Bake it until the knife comes out clean at 425 degrees. Sprinkle the top with provolone cheese and the other half of the roasted red peppers back in oven until it melts! I haven't tasted it yet, but it looks good!

Edited by lucylou95816 (log)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Thought I'd revive this since summer is near... and my shorts are all a little tight. :unsure:

I'm jumping back into Atkins Induction period for the next 2 weeks. I'll add more vegetables after that. Induction is what he calls sort of a kickstart for the diet.

Lots of lean grilled beef/lamb/duck/shrimp/fish

Lots of lettuces, cabbage, herbs, arugala, spinach, english cukes etc.

Lots of expensive delicious cheeses.

Here's a Food List for Induction that I use.

The last time I did this I lost 10lb in 3 weeks. It's pretty easy for me since I am a carnivore.

Grace

Grace Piper, host of Fearless Cooking

www.fearlesscooking.tv

My eGullet Blog: What I ate for one week Nov. 2010

Subscribe to my 5 minute video podcast through iTunes, just search for Fearless Cooking

I'll be making this quick recipe soon.

STUFFED SOLE

1 1/2 lb sole

6 oz can crab

2 oz goat cheese

2 T mayo

1 t tabasco

1 T chives

1 egg

Mix stuffing ingredients, salt and pepper to taste. Lay fillets flat and top with generous amount of filling. Roll up fish and bake at 350 for ~20 minutes.

www.fearlesscooking.tv

Subscribe to my 5 minute video podcast through iTunes, just search for Fearless Cooking

I'll be making this quick recipe soon.

STUFFED SOLE 

1 1/2 lb sole

6 oz can crab

2 oz goat cheese

2 T mayo

1 t tabasco

1 T chives

1 egg

Mix stuffing ingredients, salt and pepper to taste. Lay fillets flat and top with generous amount of filling. Roll up fish and bake at 350 for ~20 minutes.

Hi Grace, that looks like a great recipe!

Good to see some activity on this thread! Good luck with your induction!

It's been three days and I'm down 2.5 lb. Nice to see scale moving in the right direction.

I've been eating Thai slaw, lime/soy/ginger marinated steak, garlic cumin lamb patties with a feta yogurt dressing(with lots of scallions) and lots of greens.

For snacks I pick at Parmigiano-Reggiano, 5yr Gouda and olives.

Mary Lou

I'm hoping I'm not the only person on this board who wants to lose a few pounds for summer and eat really really well. :laugh:

Grace

www.fearlesscooking.tv

I made Thomas Keller's cauliflower gratin the other night, for a change of pace. Usually I mash up the cauliflower, add lots of cream and butter, put in a dish and cover with cheese and bake. This one was very tedious, and I really didn't care for the hard crunchier pieces of the cauliflower, since you only blanch the florets for 2 minutes or so, and I actually did for about 5 and they were still pretty crunchy. Luckily, my BF had started boiling some cauliflower the night before, so I mixed the soft with the crunchy and got a little variation. I did like the bit of curry taste his recipe had, it gave it a nice flavor. I'll just stick to my old method that is tried and true.

Good job on the weight loss. I've been doing this since July and lately have been teetering back and forth, not really gaining, not really losing, but not really following it 100%.

Grace - you hit the nail on the head! I get kinda frustrated by some of the low carb recipes out there that use a lot of prepared foods (spice mixes, canned soup, etc). Whole healthy foods, good fats and lots of flavors make this way of eating so luxurious and enjoyable.

Stephanie - that cauliflower gratin looks wonderful. Thanks for sharing the link!