• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vermont Fare: Stalking wild mushrooms

miahoyhoy

I can remember when I was kid walking through the big field next to my gradfather's house to collect bowls of chanterelles. He'd bring them back and sautee them with a simple cream sauce.

And that's how I came to love mushrooms.

Thing is, it was such a regular part of the summer that I grew up not knowing how coveted chanterelles are and even as an adult would often pass them by on the menu.

Good story. Thanks for sharing.

"Democracy is that system of government under which the people…pick out a Coolidge to be head of the State. It is as if a hungry man, set before a banquet prepared by master cooks and covering a table an acre in area, should turn his back upon the feast and stay his stomach by catching and eating flies." H. L. Mencken

I can remember when I was kid walking through the big field next to my gradfather's house to collect bowls of chanterelles. He'd bring them back and sautee them with a simple cream sauce.

And that's how I came to love mushrooms.

Groovy!

My kids love to forage with me. Just last month my 6 year old son said to me while holding a big ole Chanty "Dad, thanks for showing us how to pick mushrooms!"

Thanks!

Thanks for posting that, I was wondering if I'd see anything about mushrooms in NE this season. It was nice to read about a chef who cares enough for his patrons to hand-pick part of their dinner!

We were foraging in VT this past weekend, Northfield area, and gathered plenty of chanterelles, some hedgehog mushrooms and a few boletes, though no Kings (which are also known as cepes and porcini). We saw plenty of puffballs, but all too small. They're a nice substitute for tofu as well as eggs.

For gulleteers who are interested in mushrooming and are in the greater Boston area, I would love to hereby plug the Boston Mycological Club, America's oldest -

http://www.bostonmycologicalclub.org/

This is a terrific group with weekly walks for members, and an excellent four-part lecture series that starts up in just a few weeks. This is a perfect introduction to the art and science of hunting fungi. Julia Child was a member for many years.

One thing I'd like to say about the article was that the Sulphur Shelf mushroom, aka Chicken of the Woods, while delicious and one of my favorites, is reported to cause stomach upset in some people. The chef might hunt around for some expert advice/experience if he hasn't already, IMHO.

If there are mushroomers in the far northeast corner of Mass, where I live, I'd be happy to hear from them.

--L. Rap

Blog and recipes at: Eating Away

Let the lamp affix its beam.

The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream.

--Wallace Stevens

Thanks for posting that, I was wondering if I'd see anything about mushrooms in NEOne thing I'd like to say about the article was that the Sulphur Shelf mushroom, aka Chicken of the Woods, while delicious and one of my favorites, is reported to cause stomach upset in some people.  The chef might hunt around for some expert advice/experience if he hasn't already, IMHO. 

--L. Rap

Yup. That's why I only cook them for myself and friends. Of course I tell them there is a chance the sulfer shelf won't agree with them first. Haven't had a problem yet. But for that very reason I don't serve it at the restaurant.

Thanks!

Jon

I expect that's best. Pretty sure there's a commercial hunter here who won't sell them to restaurants. Shame though, they're a beautiful mushroom.

The article said you collected Pig's Ears, as well, which I think are similar to Tree Ears, though I've never collected them. Are they good? Do you cook them the same way as tree ears?

Thanks!

--L. Rap

Blog and recipes at: Eating Away

Let the lamp affix its beam.

The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream.

--Wallace Stevens

• 2 weeks later...
The article said you collected Pig's Ears, as well, which I think are similar to Tree Ears, though I've never collected them. Are they good?  Do you cook them the same way as tree ears? 

Thanks!

--L. Rap

Sorry it took me so long to get back. Been busy, I guess that's a good thing!

Pig's Ears are from the Chanterelle familly. You need to be carefull with them kind of like Sulfer Shelf. Not everyone digests them well. Tree ears are related to Witches Butter. They are edible too when young and tender. As they age they toughen up quite a bit.