• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine Storage Facilities

ademello

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with wine storage facilities in the following areas:

• Washington, D.C.
  • Burlington, VT (or thereabouts)
  • Plattsburgh, NY (or thereabouts)
  • San Francisco, CA

I purchase wine over the Internet but I need to ship it and store it somewhere safe until I can hop across the border to pick it up (I live in Canada).

Please let me know if anyone has any experience, preferably with places that aren't too expensive.

I'm afraid the only one I have any experience with is 55 Degrees in St. Helena. We at Ladera have a lot of customers that live in states (and countries!) where we can't ship. These customers use 55 Degrees as THEY are able to ship to the difficult locations.

I also know of small, independent wine makers that use 55 Degrees as their "distributor" as it were. They have a great reputation here in the California wine industry.

55 Degrees

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with wine storage facilities in the following areas:

• Washington, D.C.
  • Burlington, VT (or thereabouts)
  • Plattsburgh, NY (or thereabouts)
  • San Francisco, CA

I purchase wine over the Internet but I need to ship it and store it somewhere safe until I can hop across the border to pick it up (I live in Canada).

Please let me know if anyone has any experience, preferably with places that aren't too expensive.

Where in Canada? Your choices indicate either east coast or west coast. Esquin in Seattle (only 125 miles from the border) also has wine storage facilities (55F 70%humidity). Using Esquin removes two days from your drive to SF.

Contact them to find out if they will handle and hold your purchases until you're ready to pick up.

Esquin in Seattle.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera