• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jaleo, Crystal City

mdt

Yay! Opens the day before my birthday, according to Steve Klc's sig! Is Jaleo on the same schedule?

I think the date for Jaleo in CC is Sept. 13th. I work right down the street so I plan on being there opening day.

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.

Wasn't the so called Penn Quarter a culinary wasteland when he opened Jaleo?

True true. Jaleo was a pioneer, although it was located next to the Shakespeare, and the then-famous Insect Club. That area had at the time a somewhat dangerous city feel to it, which made it an adventure to go there. Not too unlike heading down towards the lower east side for clubbing in NY used to be. You would feel like you either might get killed, or stumble across gorgeous people pulling up in limos and strutting through velvet ropes into some club.

Ok, I exagerrate. DC did have the "might get killed" aspect down, but the glamour of the second part was never like NY.

I'm not sure you could say that about Crystal City, unless the pocket protectors and plastic badges of government workers make one tingle. Always struck me as more of a TGIFridays neighborhood.

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Well, Being a friend of scooter pies, and at Jaleo next store, he/ she isn't handing out classified info on Oyamel. We at Jaleo open in two weeks. Having also worked at Zaytinya. I can tell you that Oyamel will do for mexican food what Zaytinya did for Eastern Med. food as well. By the way I'm new to e gullet as well and I'll keep my name quiet for the moment.

Well, Being a friend of scooter pies, and at Jaleo next store, he/ she isn't handing out classified info on Oyamel. We at Jaleo open in two weeks. Having also worked at Zaytinya. I can tell you that Oyamel will do for mexican food what Zaytinya did for Eastern Med. food as well. By the way I'm new to e gullet as well and I'll keep my name quiet for the moment.

Welcome to eGullet! I am looking forward to the opening of Jaelo in Crystal City. What is the exact date of the opening as I plan on having lunch there to welcome you to the neighborhood.

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.

Welcome to you also, Achaia.

If you two wish to identify yourselves and discuss aspects of your new restaurants on this thread, that will be most welcome.

So please reconsider letting us know who you are if you wish to discuss Oyamel and Jaleo in Crystal City - it would be a win-win situation for all involved. Also, please feel free to PM me if you have any concerns that you don't wish to discuss publically.

If you must wait until the restaurants open to discuss specifics, then that's okay too, but make sure you don't keep posting here unless you're willing to get into some depth and substance.

Kind regards, and once again, welcome to the forum.

Rocks.

Ok everyone, now that I have been called out by Don. I can live with that. Don, please don't take it personally , but I discovered this forum two days ago and am still a little tentative. My name is Steve Anas. I am one of the managers at Jaleo. I worked at Zaytinya prior to that. I can answer almost any question you all have about the opening, but please keep in mind that both places are still under construction and each day brings new problems. Other than that, my name is out of the bag, so ask away.

Steve

Achaia -

Was it on purpose that your screen name is part of one of the more well-known Greek wine producers (Achaia-Clauss)?

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Achaia -

Was it on purpose that your screen name is part of one of the more well-known Greek wine producers (Achaia-Clauss)?

Well-known Greek wine producers would be an oxymoron like jumbo shrimp, military intelligence or hot fat girl.

Jarad C. Slipp, One third of ???

He was a sweet and tender hooligan and he swore that he'd never, never do it again. And of course he won't (not until the next time.) -Stephen Patrick Morrissey

• 2 weeks later...
What's the scoop? Jaleo still on schedule? I was down by there over the weekend and I can't believe anything is on the cusp of opening!

It looked like mock service was happening on Saturday when I passed by with Rockwell on the way to Eve. Then Thrasher confirmed that, yes, it was mock service, so my guess is it's on sked. ScooterPie? I'm assuming Oyamel is the almost done place right next door...

Jaleo and Oyamel both are right on schedule.

Jaleo...sound systems were tweaked today....very fancy shmancy.

Mock service is over...it's now time for the three benefit nights in which we donate all proceeds to three different charities.

Then it's soft opening ...dinner only...and then Full operations next week.

Oyamel...inspections getting ticked off one by one...should smell something cooking early next week. Staff is almost fully hired. Orientations starting this week. Next time you're in Crystal City...poke your head in...I'll show you around. It's a beautiful restaurant...and that's not just because I work there.

user posted imageI know nothing" -Sgt. Hans Schultz

You drink that all by yourself, Joe, or is the wife now helping out again? From the focus length I'm thinking maybe solo...

Yeah, that bottle is just about empty.

Cheers Joe!

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Next time you're in Crystal City...poke your head in...I'll show you around.  It's a beautiful restaurant...and that's not just because I work there.

Might have to take you up on that! Are you there late afternoons, or this weekend? So you don't have to blow your cover, I'll just ask the first person I see for the one known as ScooterPie!

So, Jaleo is open tonight? I totally spaced on the day, but my boss just said he is going tonight. I advised him to call first and see what the situation is. Anybody else going? I live down the street, so I may still end up dropping by for a plate or two at the bar.

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog