• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food gifts from Seattle

verjuice - if it's not too late...there's a guy at the market (and the weekend farmer's markets too) who sells hazelnuts. listen to pitch and the build-up - then get the "good ones" (most expensive, unflavored) they are unbelivably hazelnutty. and seriously good.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

will heartily second the Vivace idea, and the salmon packs mentioned all would work.

for cheese, if you can somehow manage to bring back some Quillisascut or Sally Jackson, that'd be a great WA State gift. most good cheese shops around should carry.

WA wine, without saying. preferably a bottle of something you'll find hard to source out of state. i like to send guests off with a bottle of Chinook cab franc.

if you have the means to bring them home, Uli's sausages in the Market are killer.

if we're considering oil, i might put a bid in for the truffle oils from La Buona Tavola across from the Market. a worthy gift to bring back from anywhere.

It's only 2:45 pm and I'm beat. Here's what I ended up with:

-Dry smoked salmon, salmon jerky, salmon candy from Pure Food Fish Market.

-A loaf of summer corn bread and a box of macaroons from Dahlia's.

-A lemon tart from Macrina.

-Milk and dark chocolate salted caramels from Fran's.

-Stuff from Chefshop; olive oil, preserves etc.

-Three tubs of that amazing whipped garlic, Lebanese Breeze.

I'll head back tomorrow morning for Uli's sausages, cheese from Beecher's (I think it was called) and some of those hazelnuts. Loved the chukar cherries, but they were swamped and I was exhausted. Does anyone have a strong recommendation for which kind to buy? I was too stuffed to taste more than one or two.

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

Edited by Verjuice (log)

Another idea I'll add to the throng is Caffe Umbria coffee, which you can buy at DeLaurenti's. It's a small boutique roaster from the same family (the Bizarris) who brought us Torrefazione.

When in the market, I also like to buy Biringer Farms tea cookies for gifts when we travel. I have yet to go wrong with any of their flavors.

Happy shopping.

Better yet on the caffe umbria, go to the roasters and get a big 5# bag, save some bucks and have enough for the month. :)

yum.

lalala

I have a relatively uninteresting life unless you like travel and food. Read more about it here.

Why are so many people suggesting olive oil? We don't make it here.

What, you haven't seen the new Seattle Olive Oil Factory™ in the Market? It's pretty cool, they have a half-hour tour in these little cars that look like olives and they take you around showing you how they mine for oil, olive oil that is, the scene is much like what you saw in the beginning of Jurassic Park. There's a movie too. :laugh:

Okay, I'm bored...

Edited by Really Nice! (log)

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera