• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Just for fun: Where did you eat?

Muffin210

I'll cheat and post again, since the first time I had just got back in town and reported on some out-of-State (Montreal) places.

Last to first:

Penang Garden (the new SF Chinatown branch) was disappointing, though we all liked the Gado Gado which was dominated by large cubes of firm tofu;

Hon's Wun Tun House, comforting as ever, though I always feel shortchanged by the wonton only bowls (can never get behind those skinny HK-style noodles); and

Star Lunch, for my neglected stinky tofu fix (don't expect much from anything else on weekend Shanghai specialties menu, except for rock-bottom prices).

• 3 weeks later...

Chakra (Irvine, CA) -- sort of a cool nightclub with Indian food. Next to the UCI campus. I had a shrimp dish which was decent. They give unlimited refills of mango juice/lassi and I think soda.

New Capital (Rowland Heights, CA) -- dim sum stalwart east of the Monterey Park. Not such a good meal, but I'm trying to stay away from Sea Harbour.

China Garden (Irvine, CA) -- dim sum house, fairly small, but menu keeps getting better an better. I really like this place better than any other dim sum in OC. Really liked the lobak, of course the dan tat (egg custard tarts, but a little on the sweet side) seafood dumplings. Ate too much.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

• 2 weeks later...
Report, please?

I've been twice now. The first time I met JAZ there for lunch and got a carnitas taco which was quite good. The tomatillo salsa in the taco was excellent, but oddly we both thought the red sauce on the table tasted exactly like Crystal hot sauce!

I went again for lunch last week and had the quesadilla. This was delicious, made with fresh masa, epazote, three kinds of cheese and poblano peppers. Yum!

I really like this place. It's a tiny bit pricey for a taqueria (I think my taco was $4+), but I hear des Jardins doesn't pay anyone who works there less than $10/hour which I think is great, plus she uses only top-notch ingredients (like Niman pork). The tortillas are made on the premises (you can see them being made), and are wonderful. Recommended. I want to go back on a weekend for brunch when they serve things like huevos rancheros and chilaquiles.

Cheers,

Squeat

The Garden Court Cafe, Glen Ellen, biscuits and gravy

Gary Chu's, Santa Rosa, Lemon chicken lunch special

Sonoma Savers, Sonoma, Onion Soup

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

The Garden Court Cafe, Glen Ellen, biscuits and gravy

Gary Chu's, Santa Rosa, Lemon chicken lunch special

Sonoma Savers, Sonoma, Onion Soup

Soup spot called Five Loaves Cafe :biggrin: love the redpepper/tomato soup with polenta croutons

Bar/seafood called Off the Hook - good blackened scallop wrap, stupid calamari

Bowen's Island - Spectacular, graffiti covered dump that serves half-pans full of steamed oysters

Pearl in Napa (heirloom tomatoes and fresh mozzarella on grilled sourdough with mucho garlic)

El Tapatio in Rockville (carnitas tacos with rice & beans)

Le Gavroche in Vancouver (cream of asparagus soup with stilton cheese and a dab of honey, wild mushrooms with goat cheese cream and sesame seed oil en croute)

Kan's (Chinatown dimsum) --decent, barely decent, but the bar area looked very retro. I would go back there for the bar, not the food.

1550 Hyde --my deliciously simple neighbourhood place, as good as ever. The grilled sardines were fatty and yum, and the fried rabbit was mmm tasty, washed down with a bottle of Dom. Anne Gros Bourgogne (a lovely -if young- burgundy which was rather reasonable at $36).

Manresa --second time in a week, 15 courses instead of the usual 25. One word. Fab.

Edited by pim (log)

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste

Not including fast food places, most recent at the top.

But what about including fast food places?

The OP did say "be brutally honest". ;-)

In that case, for that weekend it was Mc Donalds and In-N-Out. We were on a road trip, as with my oldest son's food allergies, those are places where we can always find "food" he can eat.

Cheryl

Went to Darya at South Coast Plaza. Fantastic Persian food. Funny waiter. Had some filet mignon and lamb dish. My sister said it was juicier than it had been when she visited the place years ago. For dessert I had the Tiramisu cheese mouse. To. Die. For.

There is a dim sum place on Colima and Rowland called HK Palace that is pretty good.

Chakra (Irvine, CA) -- sort of a cool nightclub with Indian food.  Next to the UCI campus.  I had a shrimp dish which was decent.  They give unlimited refills of mango juice/lassi  and I think soda.

New Capital (Rowland Heights, CA) -- dim sum stalwart east of the Monterey Park.  Not such a good meal, but I'm trying to stay away from Sea Harbour.

China Garden (Irvine, CA) -- dim sum house, fairly small, but menu keeps getting better an better.  I really like this place better than any other dim sum in OC.  Really liked the lobak, of course the dan tat (egg custard tarts, but a little on the sweet side) seafood dumplings.  Ate too much.