• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Just for fun: Where did you eat?

Muffin210

My last three:

1) El Taco Nazo in La Puente -- 3 fish tacos, 2 potato tacos, and I could've scarfed down more, but the wife was looking at me... :shock:

2) Um's Tofu in Gardena -- You don't want to go here, it's very bad, stay away! :wink:

3) Al Noor in Lawndale -- As I've mentioned elsewhere, the best Indian food in Artesia can be found at a Pakistani restaurant in Lawndale...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

I'll have to check the name of the pho place because they hadn't reprinted new menus yet (maybe Pho 99?). But it's near Wilshire and Westgate, in that mini-mall with the Kinko's, California Roll & Sushi Fish, Subway and the ex-Denny's/Mishima/Nishima now to be Buffet City.

I've had a good year, it seems. Istarted at Trio, in Eveston, Ill. at the kitchen Table for the Tour de Force. Later, went to Seattle for Mistral, Cascadia and Earth and Ocean.

Later in the year we were in San Antonio for the two week Fiesta and ate at Biga's on the Banks (twice) and Acemar.

Then, we took the Island Princess to Vancouver to enjoy the Chefs Table at West Restaurant.

Now, I'me hungry again.

Captain Hongo

I've had a good year, it seems.  Istarted at Trio, in Eveston, Ill. at the kitchen Table for the Tour de Force.  Later, went to Seattle for Mistral, Cascadia and Earth and Ocean.

Later in the year we were in San Antonio for the two week Fiesta and ate at Biga's on the Banks (twice) and Acemar.

Then, we took the Island Princess to Vancouver to enjoy the Chefs Table at West Restaurant.

It does sound like a good year, but that wasn't the question. I could have mentioned The French Laundry, Masa's, and Michael Mina, but those weren't THE LAST THREE restaurants I've eaten at.

Edited by chaud-froid (log)

Y'all amaze me. My last three:

Railroad Cafe (one of the few decent places for breakfast in Livermore)

International House of Pancakes (Livermore again)

Mountain Mike's Pizza (Livermore)

We don't get out much.

Walt, I sallied through Liv a couple of years ago en route to Napanoma, and ate breakfast at the Railroad Cafe. I echo your endorsement, as it was a very good meal in a seemingly unlikely location.

Kriss Reed

Long Beach, CA

Hayes Street Grill (S.F.)

Afghani House (Sunnyvale)

Amici's East Coast Pizzeria (Mountain View)

*was at Haye's Street Grill for the first time and really liked it!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Girl and the Fig

Swiss Hotel

Della Santina's Trattoria

All in Sonoma :biggrin:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Walt, I sallied through Liv a couple of years ago en route to Napanoma, and ate breakfast at the Railroad Cafe. I echo your endorsement, as it was a very good meal in a seemingly unlikely location.

Kriss,

That's great that you were able to discover it so quickly! My wife and I go on a bike ride every Sunday, and we always stop off and go out to breakfast. After roughly forty breakfasts, we finally noticed the Railroad Cafe, and tried it. Yum. Just for the record, besides the IHOP (one of the better ones), the other decent places to go are Emil Villa's and Mimi's Cafe in Pleasanton. Except for the tacquerias, which we haven't visited, we've tried every other place that serves breakfast in Livermore. Good eye Kriss!

Walt Nissen -- Livermore, CA

I'll lower the bar a bit:

Mi Ama (Wonderful Columbian dinner put together by Chris Congac.)

Chik-Fil-A (Waffle cut fries and chicken called my name, what can I say?)

McDonald's (There, I said it. You may all mock me openly now.)

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

3 Amigos, Taqueria in Half Moon Bay

Chaat Cafe, Sunnyvale

Quince Restaurant, San Francisco

On an excursion to the coast yesterday to keep cool--we ate at 3 Amigos. Gotta love the Super Carnitas Burrito! :smile:

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

I went out of town for part of the weekend so I ended up eating at a couple of restaurants in Sacramento (Aioli and Rubicon). But not including those, my last three meals in the Bay Area were:

-Sushi Groove (SF)

-Cesar (Berkeley)

-Jeanty at Jack's (SF)

No it's not.  It's Chez Maman and Chez Papa.

I remember that when they first opened, they were called Chez Papa and Cafe Chez Maman. I don't know if they've dropped "Cafe" from the name since.

On an excursion to the coast yesterday to keep cool--we ate at 3 Amigos.  Gotta love the Super Carnitas Burrito!  :smile:

We went to half moon bay yesterday exactly for the same reason!

Sadly, 3 Amigos was out of carnitas in the evening when we were there. Out of carnitas!!!

We went to half moon bay yesterday exactly for the same reason!

Sadly, 3 Amigos was out of carnitas in the evening when we were there. Out of carnitas!!!

Bummer. We were there ~ 5:30 so I guess we contributed to the disappearance... :smile: Always glad to see them have so much business though. It always seems to be crowded no matter what time of day.xc