• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Toaster Pig

chappie

A weekend back, after an all-night party at a friend's shack, two of us remained standing at sunrise, ravenous in a bachelor kitchen full of beer cans, cobwebs and a sinkful of dishes that long ago took root in their own compost.

In the freezer I found four frozen pork chops. Without a pause, I slipped them vertically into a four-slot toaster, rubbing with spices after one cycle, then continuing to retoast for about eight cycles. They were perfectly crisp on the outside, juicy on the inside.

What I did with them next is a different story: sliced them and served them in potato rolls with corned beef hash, fried egg, cheese and hot sauce. But the method worked great, and it was certainly better than that crap-ass George Foreman Grill.

A weekend back, after an all-night party at a friend's shack, two of us remained standing at sunrise, ravenous in a bachelor kitchen full of beer cans, cobwebs and a sinkful of dishes that long ago took root in their own compost.

In the freezer I found four frozen pork chops. Without a pause, I slipped them vertically into a four-slot toaster, rubbing with spices after one cycle, then continuing to retoast for about eight cycles. They were perfectly crisp on the outside, juicy on the inside.

What I did with them next is a different story: sliced them and served them in potato rolls with corned beef hash, fried egg, cheese and hot sauce. But the method worked great, and it was certainly better than that crap-ass George Foreman Grill.

How trashed is the toaster? :blink:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Yeah, I have to wonder that myself however clever.

I confess to loving melted peanut butter on my toast on occasion. Bread pops up, I quickly butter and peanut spread it and drop it back into the toaster as it is cooling off. Gooey goodness, however after a few bouts of caving into this whim for breakfast, some peanut butter inevitably falls off and gets onto the coil causing a wee flame the next time it is used and shorting out the toaster. I'd say not really a good thing. :biggrin:

Notice he said at a "friends shack" or former.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

How trashed is the toaster?

Not at all; in fact, the heat elements seemed to seal the chops and minimize any drippage. But hey, if there had been a residual pork-fat essence clinging to the slots, the better the toast would taste!

I even pulled out the crumb tray and didn't notice any significant mess.

Someone recently showed me a Pampered Chef catalog that had toaster cooking bags for sale. You're supposed to be able to put whatever fits in the bags and cook it in the toaster (toaster vegetables en papillote?). It seemed like a totally dumb-ass idea to me at the time... but maybe I was wrong?

Edited by carp (log)

We cooked hamburgers on V-8 engines where I grew up. :biggrin:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

How trashed is the toaster?

Not at all; in fact, the heat elements seemed to seal the chops and minimize any drippage. But hey, if there had been a residual pork-fat essence clinging to the slots, the better the toast would taste!

I even pulled out the crumb tray and didn't notice any significant mess.

I wonder if starting from frozen helped with the drippage.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

There's an entire book devoted to the technique of cooking under the hood – "Manifold Destiny". The top rated engine for on-the-road cooking is a Jaguar V6 (might have been a V12...haven't read the book in a while, but it seems a V6 would have better heat concentration).

We drove our V-8's to the hambugers.

I thought that California was more advanced than Louisiana. Who knew? :wink::laugh:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...