• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Collingswood

Carlson1105

On the subject of neighborhoods, has anyone been to Collingswood lately? Went to a fantastic Italian byob called Sapori recently. Nunzio's is there, along with some other new spots. Kind of like an up and coming New Jersey version of Manayunk.

Maybe that's where everyone went... :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

collingswood is the suburb i'd choose if i were moving to the burbs.

just sayin.

Collingswood is okay. It possesses a vague resemblance to urban life.

Or what passes for it in suburbia.

Just sayin.

I like it like I like Narberth, or Jersey City, or Conshohocken.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

just sayin.

Actually I want a big old Victorian with a wrap around porch in Haddonfield that's steps away from the lovely little "downtown Haddonfield" area that has several nice restaurants/BYOBs as well as an awesome collection of consignment stores for an Olympic class full contact shopper like myself. :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

just sayin.

Actually I want a big old Victorian with a wrap around porch in Haddonfield that's steps away from the lovely little "downtown Haddonfield" area that has several nice restaurants/BYOBs as well as an awesome collection of consignment stores for an Olympic class full contact shopper like myself. :smile:

Right now I'd give the restaurant nod to Collingswood over Haddonfield. Nunzio's, Word of Mouth and Tortilla Press are excellent. I haven't been to Sapori yet.

In Haddonfield, I really like Little Tuna (the soup and salad lunch for $9 is a steal). Oriental Pearl is one of the better Chinese restaurants in the area. I wasn't impressed by Cafe M.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

Lunch at Tortilla Press today. The food was excellent (the guac could have used a bit more salt and a shot of hot sauce). Service was good, not great. I really like the decor--fun and colorful. We had an "indoor/outdoor" table--the table was inside the restaurant but next to a large, open picture window facing Haddon Ave. The lunch time traffic was noisy and distracting. I'd definitely NOT sit at that table again.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

You know, I still haven't eaten in Collingswood yet.

I should, since I'm just over the river and through the woods on the way to gramma's house.

(Cooper, not Delaware)

If I do and without dining companions to push me on, it's likely to be at Tortilla Press' counter service/quick casual side.

I hope I remember your comment about spiciness, although the tendency to err on the side of underspicing is not exactly suprising.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

just sayin.

Hee.

I have an interlocutor on a Mac forum who went absolutely nuts when she found out that I grew up in Haddonfield. She, it turns out, is from Haddon Heights.

It was a good place to grow up, and afforded me an excellent secondary education, but the mania that some people have for getting there, or at least getting close enough to say that they live there, is unsettling.

You're right, though, Katie. The shopping is great, and it's an easy drive from there to lots of interesting places for a gnosh if you find the local places uninspiring. Just make sure to pick up the bottle on the way in, or on the way out, because the town has been dry at least since they stopped pulling pints of lager at the Indian King Tavern.

My secret vice is a panzarotti at Franco's. It's in the Westmont neighborhood of Haddon Twp. Go figure!

Edited by Furious Flav-or (log)

• 2 weeks later...
Right now I'd give the restaurant nod to Collingswood over Haddonfield.  Nunzio's, Word of Mouth and Tortilla Press are excellent.  I haven't been to Sapori yet.

In Haddonfield, I really like Little Tuna (the soup and salad lunch for $9 is a steal).  Oriental Pearl is one of the better Chinese restaurants in the area.  I wasn't impressed by Cafe M.

Maybe it's because of the company when I've gone over there (namely, my partner and his mother), but I can't say I've eaten at anything I would call a really good restaurant in Haddonfield. Decent, yes. Really good, no.

But Haddonfield just drips with charm. However, it manages to stop just short of the terminal charm of Princeton, thank God. And I can be there in 20 minutes from where I live (directly over 12th-13th & Locust PATCO station).

Collingswood, however, is about five minutes closer. I used to refer to it as "the poor man's Haddonfield." Looks like I'm going to have to drop the "poor man's" part.

The revival of Collingswood's fortunes I have already filed in my "gay people are the shock troops of gentrification" file.

Now, to find an excuse to go have lunch there.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

• 1 year later...

'm heading out to Collingswood today for a political errand of kiddle's. (Even anarchists have have to follow the driving laws when they live with their mommy!)

I hope that we get to eat at least 3 times, and I'll report back!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06