• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

An all apple menu

bloviatrix

Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year, is fast approaching and it is tradition to eat apples dipped in honey as a symbol of a sweetness. But since I refuse to do anything remotely traditional, I've been toying with the idea of expanding upon the theme and using apples in every course for the dinner I will serve the first night.

I welcome all suggestions for dishes that I could serve. Please keep in mind the following requirements that need to be followed: 1) this will be a meat meal meaning no dairy such as cream or butter can be used 2) nothing derived from a pig is allowed 3) no shellfish 4) fish cannot be mixed with poultry/meat

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

A salad with arugula, radicchio, candied walnuts, and tart green apples, a soup of pureed sauteed apples and caramelized onions with Calvados and sage, the non-pork part of Himmel und Erde - a mash of equal parts of potatoes and green apples that's surprisingly delicious, apple-stuffed sweet potatoes, roast chicken with a dried apple, rice, and wild rice stuffing, and a gingerbread-apple upside-down cake with a reduced cider and Calvados sauce?

Thanks for the suggestions Abra. The salad already has my mouth watering.

I'm now reminded of a 5th requirement: No calvados. There's no kosher one on the market (at least in the US).

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I made this stuffing for pork chops, but it would work for stuffing chicken breasts or a roulade as well, I suppose. . .onions sauteed til soft in olive oil, then a garlic clove, then finely diced & peeled tart apples, then walnuts, fennel seed, and fresh sage. The recipe I worked from called for bread crumbs, but I chose not to use them. Made a glaze from reduced apple juice & honey.

We had a salad similar to Abra's, but I added fresh raspberries and blue cheese as well, since the request had been made for a raspberry vinaigrette dressing.

Diana

Roasted carrots, onion and squash soup. Add apples and garam masala. Use vegetable stock. Maybe a potato for body.

Spiced apple butter, with cinnamon and cloves. Use as an accompaniament to lamb chops or grilled chicken.

Apple, jicama, fennel and red cabbage slaw, with chopped walnuts and dates.

Poached whole apples, glazed with a honey cardamom syrup and stuffed with apple sorbet.

Soba