• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alinea Identity

chefg

Not to get too nitpicky, but many of these design comps use gradients to show motion. If that makes it into the final logo, are there any plan to develop alternate versions for use on materials where the use gradients might not be possible - newspapers, for example?

Restaurants often participate in fundraisers and other charity events, which in return recognize them by printing their logo, along with other participants, in a program or brochure, typically at a very small scale. So, the logo, whatever the design, must be recognizable when reduced to a small scale or it is useless regardless of the number of pages that can be written about its symbolism.

• 2 weeks later...
Not to get too nitpicky, but many of these design comps use gradients to show motion. If that makes it into the final logo, are there any plan to develop alternate versions for use on materials where the use gradients might not be possible - newspapers, for example?

Yes, there will be various versions for certain applications.

• 2 weeks later...

As the project matures we have made the final decision to utilize several logos instead of one. The philosophy behind that decision seems to align with all other thoughts that are present in this project. As Martin mentioned up thread, we have several different types of applications for the Alinea logo:

1. Chef Coats

2. Menus

3. Stationary

4. Video

5. Signage

6. Printed Promotional Material

7. Business Cards

We will choose which concepts are best suited for each situation, not only from an application standpoint, but also from the emotion we are trying to express in each medium. Going even further, I have decided to utilize different logos within a category…in other words four chefs will have embroideries coats in the kitchen, we will all have different logos. Just as everyone will have different business cards, and ideally each guest at a table will see a different Alinea symbol on their menus and so on. Everyone on the creative team feels this approach exemplifies exactly what we are trying to achieve with Alinea, not to mention it is fun for everyone to choose his or her own logo out of the 154 concepts developed thus far. Here are examples of my current favorites:

10_1_4.jpg

superimposed.gif

Edited by chefg (log)

--

Grant Achatz

Chef/Owner

Alinea

Ciao,

Amazing overall job with this huge, life changing project! I am now in Italy and at least three or four times a day my chef yells out,

" c'e linea???"

I was looking for a connection to Alinea in other languages and it matches almost perfectly in Italian, where La Linea roughly translates to our mise en place.

I find that to be a pretty cool other meaning!

Ciao.

Ore