• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Carmella's closing

MysticMilt

First Kansas City Prime, and now this. I never had a chance to eat at Carmella's, but when KC Prime closed I kept meaning to go there, figuring it was the only place I could get that awesome white chocolate bread pudding.

Sigh.

No surprise here. Manayunk is becoming a graveyard. And Derek Davis' restaurants seem to have some sort of plague that's killing them off first in a long slow agonizing death. The "plague" could be the food and the service. The LaBan review of Carmella's was brutal, but sadly true. You can read it HERE

After you've read it, tell me if you're still surprised it's closing, or merely surprised it took this long. :blink:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

No surprise here. Manayunk is becoming a graveyard. And Derek Davis' restaurants seem to have some sort of plague that's killing them off first in a long slow agonizing death. The "plague" could be the food and the service. The LaBan review of Carmella's was brutal, but sadly true. You can read it HERE

After you've read it, tell me if you're still surprised it's closing, or merely surprised it took this long. :blink:

What's curious about that is that even though the review was scathing, the web page gives it a four-star rating (doubly odd in that the Inky gives bells not stars). :unsure:

No surprise here.  Manayunk is becoming a graveyard.  And Derek Davis' restaurants seem to have some sort of plague that's killing them off first in a long slow agonizing death.  The "plague" could be the food and the service.  The LaBan review of Carmella's was brutal, but sadly true.  You can read it HERE

After you've read it, tell me if you're still surprised it's closing, or merely surprised it took this long.  :blink:

What's curious about that is that even though the review was scathing, the web page gives it a four-star rating (doubly odd in that the Inky gives bells not stars). :unsure:

Which webpage? Whose webpage? Even on a good day 4 stars was a stretch... :hmmm:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

That's four blank "bells" you're looking at in Craig's review.

I'm writing in tomorrow's INQlings that Carmella's not only is closed, the site will go condo.

Yeah - that's what I thought. Four blank bells as in ZERO bells/stars. That's more like it.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Katie, in your opinion why is it that Manayunk is becoming a graveyard? I mean, I agree with you, what with the closing of KC Prime still fresh on the brain, but I can't figure out what the problem is over there. It's a cute area, it's teeming with people who can appreciate a good meal ... you'd think that quality restaurants wouldn't have a problem staying open.

Katie, in your opinion why is it that Manayunk is becoming a graveyard? I mean, I agree with you, what with the closing of KC Prime still fresh on the brain, but I can't figure out what the problem is over there. It's a cute area, it's teeming with people who can appreciate a good meal ... you'd think that quality restaurants wouldn't have a problem staying open.

This is a very good question. It occurs to me that Manayunk deserves its own thread. If you don't mind, I'm going to take the liberty of starting one.