• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Weekend in Pasadena/East LA

saml314

Hi,

I'll be in town to visit my gf and I wanted some recommendations in Pasadena/San Gabriel/downtown LA area. Anything below $40 per meal is fine. I've been to more places in LA than she has, so I'm trying to show her the town, even though she's the one living there....

Thanks!

Sam

What kind of food are you looking for? There are so many places in a metropolitan area like LA...help us narrow it down! You'll have a car, right? When will you be here? You mention the San Gabriel area; have you already explored a lot of the Chinese restaurants there?

It is really hard to get a romantic meal for two under $40 in L.A. Seriously.

In downtown, for fun, you could go to either Philippe's Home of the French Dip or The Pantry (more for breakfast). Consider wandering around Little Tokyo - you could probably eat there for under $40 but I don't know if I'd consider that romantic or not.

Actually, here is a thought! Down on Spring Street is Angelique Cafe. Completely romantic, perfectly French, and well within your budget. The biggest problem is that they close at 4:00 so you'll have to make it lunch - but well worth it!

Montrose is close, and my favorite new spot is Bistro Verdu (3459 N. Verdugo Road--technically Glendale.) No liquor license, no corkage fee, and really great menu (especially for the area--a dining wasteland). Mediterranean influence, but lots of bistro dishes (mussels, a nice cheese selection, etc.). You can get out for $40 if you bring a bottle of vino with you.

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

How about Cafe Bizou in Pasadena? (626) 792-9923 -- 91 N. Raymond Avenue. There are also branches in Santa Monica and Sherman Oaks. I've never been to the Pasadena location but they have a super-low corkage fee ($2) and I recall the prices were really good. Is anyone familiar with the Pasadena restaurant? Think they can dine for less than $40? (Bringing your own wine is a huge plus!)

How about Cafe Bizou in Pasadena? (626) 792-9923 -- 91 N. Raymond Avenue. There are also branches in Santa Monica and Sherman Oaks. I've never been to the Pasadena location but they have a super-low corkage fee ($2) and I recall the prices were really good. Is anyone familiar with the Pasadena restaurant? Think they can dine for less than $40? (Bringing your own wine is a huge plus!)

I really wanted to like this place, having heard great things about the one in the valley. Gave it three tries, and each time the food was cold, and wrong. Both. Each time. Got dragged there a fourth time, and it was dismal. Big portions, reasonable prices, but, for my money, not worth the (small) price of dinner.

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

How about Cafe Bizou in Pasadena?  (626) 792-9923 -- 91 N. Raymond Avenue.  There are also branches in Santa Monica and Sherman Oaks.  I've never been to the Pasadena location but they have a super-low corkage fee ($2) and I recall the prices were really good.  Is anyone familiar with the Pasadena restaurant?  Think they can dine for less than $40?  (Bringing your own wine is a huge plus!)

I really wanted to like this place, having heard great things about the one in the valley. Gave it three tries, and each time the food was cold, and wrong. Both. Each time. Got dragged there a fourth time, and it was dismal. Big portions, reasonable prices, but, for my money, not worth the (small) price of dinner.

Oh, that is a shame! Well, I'm glad someone who's dined there could give us a review. Any other suggestions for a romantic dinner for less than $40???

I was at Cafe Bizou in Santa Monica, and the food was mediocre at best.

Phillipe's and the Original Pantry are great ideas, but I've been to them before. Any other restaurants like these around pasadena?

Angelique looks pretty good. What's montrose? i can't find anything on it.

Thanks!

Edited by saml314 (log)

I was at Cafe Bizou in Santa Monica, and the food was mediocre at best.

Phillipe's and the Original Pantry are great ideas, but I've been to them before. Any other restaurants like these around pasadena?

Angelique looks pretty good. What's montrose? i can't find anything on it.

Thanks!

Montrose is a tiny suburb of Glendale, which is a smallish suburb of Los Angeles.

www.chezcherie.com