• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Too Many Raspberries

amyd

Hi Sandi!

You are a very lucky person!  I used to pick raspberries in Colorado when I lived there.  I miss them terribly.  Store bought are NOT the same.

The ladies in this thread here http://forums.egullet.org/topic/149057-manitoulin-test-kitchen-part-2/page-5#entry1980062

have made this http://www.thibeaultstable.com/2013/07/summer-torte.html  summer

torte with several different kinds of fruit.  I think raspberries would be wonderful.  I'm showing my ignorance, though, because it has 3/4 c. of butter and maybe you can't eat that?

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 1

A summer berry pudding from David Lebovitz. I've never made it, only admired it in his cookbook, Room for Dessert. It's like an apple charlotte, or a bread pudding filled with fruit, and it's no-bake. You press it and leave it in the fridge for the ingredients to meld. An adapted recipe here:
http://www.womensnook.com/?s=david+lebovitz&x=0&y=0

I also suggest making some raspberry vinegar. I haven't made this recipe, but one much like it.
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Raspberry-Vinegar-366721

I first tried raspberry vinegar with this recipe for a dinner salad with roast chicken, something I've made over and over, especially in the summer when the weather is hot. You can sub other blue cheese for the stilton, walnuts or almonds for the hazelnuts, and good-quality olive oil for the walnut oil. I use leftover roast chicken for this salad or a rotisserie chicken from the supermarket.
http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Kitchen-Remodel-Was-a-Labor-of-Love-3001126.php#page-4

And the winnah and new champeen is... raspberry pie!
Mostly decided by the fact I had all the ingredients for it.

2014-07-30193307_zps019b488f.jpg

2014-07-30193533_zps30f81255.jpg\

There were so many great suggestions! I'd never even heard of Cranachan, but when I have whiskey one day I will definitely try it.

I used this crust recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/butter-flaky-pie-crust/

And this filling recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Summer-Fresh-Raspberry-Pie/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Thumb&e11=raspberry%20pie&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&soid=sr_results_p1i6

I have a few pie crust recipes I already like, but wanted to try something new. I blind-baked it for 15 minutes at 450.  My pie plate was 9". but next time I think I'll add a little more raspberries (or use an 8" pie plate) to make it fuller. The filling is delicious! I don't like gooey-sweet things, so it suited me well.

As for lactose-containing things, butter has never seemed to bother me. We do have Lactose-reduced milk here, but it's ludicrously expensive ($5.50 for a 2-litre), and I'm on a pretty tight budget at the moment. A couple of tablespoons of whipped cream won't usually bother me, but as for ice cream *sigh* fuggedaboudit.

So yay! Thanks for all your help folks!

• Like 3

Butter has very very little lactose in it if made properly - lactose is milk sugar and butter should be pretty close to exclusively milk fat. People who are lactose intolerant can sometimes eat very well aged cheeses, too - the cheese bacteria eat all the milk sugar while making the tasty cheese. My mother has also had some success in trying goat and sheep milk products. (As I understand it, goat still has some lactose, but less than cow milk, and for some reason it is often better tolerated. No idea why.) Some people are also okay with cream but not milk - again due to the fact cream should have less milk sugar in it since the sugar is in the watery bit of the milk, not the fat.

On the subject of raspberries, when I have an excess I like to make a raspberry-lime sauce and freeze it. Then I have something nice and bright and summery to use on cold days when it feels like the winter will last forever - I use it warmed on pancakes like a syrup, or over some kind of cake. I've never tried mixing it with sparkling water but I will now next time I make it, because that sounds promising also.

My favorite bakery does a nice cake with a raspberry buttercream filling, too, as an idea for future raspberry excess. Though I think I'd add either fresh raspberries or a drizzle of raspberry coulis between the layers also, to give an extra dimension of raspberry flavor.

• Like 1

Raspberry crumble. 

Raspberry shrub to have in the fridge on hot days.

Crushed, sugared raspberries (cooked a bit if you like) on top of meringue shells, bit of whipped cream. Or crumble it all up together, serve in a coupe and call it Raspberry Mess.

There's a cake I used to make in Joy of Cooking that's yellow butter layers baked with meringue on each, then the two are sandwiched together -- I always used raspberry jam as the filling, then top the upper layer with raspberry sauce and whipped cream.    Just found it -- it's a Blitz Torte.  The Joy and I never used the cream filling in between, just jam, but otherwise it's like these recipes:  http://www.jsonline.com/features/food/117553558.html%C2'> It's very easy, very festive and very impressive looking...and delicious. 

Your pie doesn't look too bad, either....:)

On the subject of raspberries, when I have an excess I like to make a raspberry-lime sauce and freeze it. Then I have something nice and bright and summery to use on cold days when it feels like the winter will last forever - I use it warmed on pancakes like a syrup, or over some kind of cake. I've never tried mixing it with sparkling water but I will now next time I make it, because that sounds promising also.

I agree with the suggestion of freezing them. Cook up a nice filling or sauce and freeze it.

My mom does this with peaches. Then in the middle of winter she'll use it to make a nice peach cobbler. :wub:

Regarding raspberries, you could also make a linzer tort or linzer cookies. 

Thanks for posting the pics of your pie. It looks delicious.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Edna Lewis recipe.  One cup raspberries (I may have this wrong, best to check) and one cup sugar.  Mash with fork.  Allow to set in fridge for 24 hours.

Delicious raspberry sauce that you can then freeze.

Nice for your Pavlova.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

• 1 year later...

My spouse just came home with a kilo of beautiful raspberries at an embarrassingly low price. They are being grown, along with strawberries and a small amount of blueberries, in the fields between Patzcuaro and Morelia and will be available until around mid-June when the rains start.

So my question is--given an unlimited supply, what should I make with them (other than lots and lots of jam)? Syrups, fruit leather, eaten by the handfuls--help me out here! I am of course open to non-sweet applications. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I've never had this problem before...

Nancy in Patzcuaro

• Like 3

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

I make raspberry syrup. Delicious on either ice cream or pancakes. I also use them in baking - especially with chocolate - think Black Forest Cake with raspberries instead of cherries. 

• Like 2

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

I would also be freezing some on cookie sheets  before storing them in  Ziploc bags for the winter.  Respberry muffins can be very welcome when winter arrives. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Infuse in vodka and make cocktails, infuse in grain alcohol and make extract. Sorbet is always good, and it you have freezer space to keep it, you can wait and eat some in the winter when you will really appreciate it. I second puree, as so much can be made from it -from fruit mousse to savory pan sauces. Speaking of mousse, I would. however, splurge and make a raspberry entremet dessert with raspberry mousse and a raspberry mirror glaze.

• Like 3

Raspberry sauce is my favorite dress-up for lots of fruits and cakes and sorbets. No cooking, so easy and so just raspberry:

1 1/2 cup fresh raspberries, 1/4 cup sugar, (or to taste) ,1 T framboise. Dump into the processor and...process. Then use a coarse strainer to strain out the seeds. The original recipe came from a simple fruit dessert in which fresh pineapple rings were laid to rest in a puddle of sauce. I love it with lemon or buttermilk sorbet and plain or lemony cakes or drizzled over fresh peaches. I imagine it would be nice with cheesecake, too. Or with biscuits or on pancakes...

• Like 1

I second Kerry Beal's idea about pies, buckles or cobblers. I've almost always seen them made with a few raspberries stretched out with cheaper fruits or berries. I have made plain raspberry pies years ago when I was growing them, and they are divine.

Raspberry sorbet, as suggested above also sounds delightful.

I would also love to try them in muffins, pancakes or waffles,

They are usually so expensive here that I use them raw as a garnish on top of desserts I want to fancy up. A tiny four oz. container can cost $6.00 US or just not be available at all.

You are so lucky to have this glut of a cheap and good raspberries, Nancy!

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <