• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fava Beans and Baby Artichokes

Susan in FL

Recently fresh produce, from the supermarket even, has been especially good. Nice fava beans and baby artichokes have been available. What are some of your ideas on how to fix them? I'm interested in either, or dishes combining them both. I made a really good dish using both this week, Baby Artichoke and Fava Bean Nage.

I know some people don't think that fava beans are worth the work, but when they turn out so pretty and taste so good, I think so. :smile:

i11974.jpg

About fava beans, I still can't not think of Hannabal Lecter, but I'm working through that.

I have cleaned and blanched baby artichokes leftover in the fridge, but need to buy some more fava beans.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

last night for snacks with drinks, i cooked baby 'chokes and new potatoes in chicken stock until tender, then blasted the heat to glaze them with the remaining stock. made a quick rouille with some chipotles for dipping---quick, easy and very swiftly devoured.

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Mmm. Both wonderful vegetables...you are lucky to find them!

I seem to have Italian food on my mind in thinking of them. I remember an excellent pasta dish eaten in Florence many years ago...baby artichokes lightly browned and tossed together in a sauce that included chopped tomatoes and onions, served over spagetti....and then another, fava beans 'guanciale' cooked with bits of bacon cooked till crisp, then add chopped onions and fava beans...a bit of white wine...yum.

Another recipe is coming to mind...fava beans and baby artichokes blanched then tossed together with sauteed morels or other wild mushrooms...a bit of fresh mint perhaps or even some chopped sauteed fennel bulb...with a risotto Milanese... a lovely meal!

Susan, i found a wonderful idea in japanese cookbook Shunju: fava beans grilled in their pods with scallions: couple of weeks ago i was actually about to try this but the pouring rain prevented me from doing so. The book is searchable on amazon, so you might want to check it.

Mmmm.... :wub: all good sounding ideas.

A pasta sauce like that described with tomatoes and onions for spaghetti just might be the ticket for the left over artichokes. We've had so many rich, indulgent dinners while on vacation, I'm so ready to lighten up.

Hi, Helena! I wouldn't have thought of grilling fava beans in their pods. Sounds great. I'll check that out. I should have known you would have a good idea for something green and pretty... :smile: If I don't find the specifics for that, I might check back with you. Please let me know if the weather is conducive for you, and you try it.

When I get a good deal on baby artichokes (usually in the spring, here in NYC, from my Pathmark), I trim them down and stew them in white wine, olive oil, and water, with chopped onion and sometimes garlic. Then I pack them into canning jars and keep them in the fridge.

Have not had luck yet getting favas. :sad:

One of my ex's makes this really great fava bean salad with arugula, fava beans and pecorino cheese. Simple combination but very very good.

I love fava beans because I can make them up ahead of times and keep them in the freezer. When I get sick of seeing them, I throw them in the food processor with some mash potatoes and serve them with a nice simple fish.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

Bond Girl, I love the kind of salad you described. I've purchased some good arugula lately, too. Often, all I can find is baby arugula which is great if it has any flavor, but usually what is in the supermarket really lacks the delicious bite. I like it more mature, usually.

Packing baby artichokes for the fridge like that is a great idea, Suzanne.

Carrot Top, last night I did a take-off from your idea of the artichokes lightly sauteed and tossed in a sauce including chopped tomatoes and onions, and served over spaghetti. I added some of our fresh herbs, garlic, a little wine and some capon stock, and threw in some kalamata olives at the end. Good... thanks!

I've rarely had luck securing fresh fava beans (unless from my own garden)...I saw them recently at a grocery store at $8+ per pound...right, sure. I have had success with frozen favas...anywhere that sells middle-eastern items might have them. The nice thing about frozen favas is that you don't have to blanch them in order to peel them...the little gems just pop out once I've rinsed them off (since they ought to have been blanched before freezing anyway).

playing my role as the "season nazi" (as they refer to me in our test kitchen), i'm finding it weird that you're getting these now. favas and artichokes are traditionally early spring crops.

LOL, I know... that's Florida for you.

playing my role as the "season nazi" (as they refer to me in our test kitchen), i'm finding it weird that you're getting these now. favas and artichokes are traditionally early spring crops.

As one of my chef friend said to me: "It's in season somewheres in the world." :biggrin:

All joking aside, Russ' point is well taken. It's one of the reasons that makes restaurants like Blue Hill such a pleasure to go to.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

Perhaps you could combine the two in some sort of gratin/casserole. Maybe a very simple white sauce flavored with fresh thyme and topped with gruyere or even a mild goat cheese (buttered bread crumbs?) and baked until bubbling?

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Susan,

You are so lucky in Florida to have both of these so late in the season! If your artichokes are truly "baby" and nice and tender, there is a great way to prepare them with favas. As I posted (back in the spring) on the dinner thread, I believe this idea came from Chez Panisse Vegetables, but I could totally be making that up. Essentially what you do is fry the trimmed babies in olive oil (don't bother with extra virgin, and don't even blanch them if they're truly young -- that's the beauty of this preparation!) while smashing them with a spatula into little dish-like units (brown 'em 'til they're crisp on the edges) which you then top with the favas which have been separately sauteed in OO and/or OO/butter (and maybe some shallots or something, but not at all necessary -- now I remember I like to use green garlic: don't tell me you have that now, too?!?) and then mashed right in the saute pan (I use a potato masher -- a fork would do).

I make this in spring with young lamb, and it gets raves. I'm sure there are mains you could serve this with where you are now that would complement.

Cheers,

Squeat