• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oysters: The Topic

shadow

I've seen quite a few references touting popping live shellfish and mollusks into the freezer for 20 min. or so to make them easier to dispatch/open. Never seen this tip for oysters. Might work though.

My favorite supermarket almost always has pints and quarts of Pacific NW shucked oysters in the meat case (I think they're pastuerized but there is no mention of the process on the container). I wouldn't eat them raw or use them in soup but they are great for frying. I take note of the the sell-by date. They are marked down 50% two days from said date and that's when I buy them. I dust them in flour, pass through an egg wash, coat with cracker crumbs and deep-fry.

PJ

"Epater les bourgeois."

--Lester Bangs via Bruce Sterling

(Dori Bangs)

In Japan it is almost impossible to find oysters in the shell, I have only seen the twice this year and only at upscale markets. They are normally sold water packed on trays and are labeled either for cooking use or as ok for eating raw. Thus I have never seen an oyster knife in this country...

hi torakris--

it seems an interesting anomaly that in a nation known for seafood (Japan), you never see raw oysters (in the shell). maybe the demand isn't there.

but as budrichard said, watch your hands. gloves + towel = indispensable.

glad you enjoyed them!

an oyster knife just looks like an awl with a flattened blade, but you should get one. :smile:

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

Has anyone seen 'shucked oysters' in their seafood stores? I assume that they are 'day old' or more, and have been shucked (and reduced in price) to sell. I've been seeing them lately and have been curious about using them to cook with -deep frying, oyster stew, etc. Should I stay away?

Also, I've always been nervous about buying oysters myself and eating them raw. I've done this plenty of times at restaurants, but I have to wonder. Do I have to go to the best available fishmonger to trust their oysters enough to eat them raw, or can I get them at the grocery store?

Thanks,

Ian

In answer to your questions; 1. 'Shucked' oyster are not day old or reduced in price. They are opened and sold in bulk with an expiration date. they are perfectly safe for cooked foods where the oyster is not raw. If you only want warmed oyster than you must shuck your own to be safe. 2. In terms of safe to eat, all commercially harvested shell fish MUST come with a Harvest Certificate that must be shown on demand to the purchaser. This cert list where, when and by whom the shellfish were harvested. This is a must when purchase shellfish in the shell and always should be viewed. when you purchase you shell fish in the standard 100 count bag, the cert is always supplied.

There are some oysters in the shell that have been treated to depuration, a sterilzing process. I don't know how the taste is affected as I don't eat these type of oysters yet.

A freshly opened oyster must be glistening and plump as well as have hardly any smell. the taste should be of the sea, mild and blissful. Any deviation from these standards is not a good oyster. The cert that accompanies the oysters is the best that one can do to assure quality and free from disease. -Dick

So? How did it go? Are you sick of oysters yet? Are your hands still functioning? I've been craving oysters ever since you started this thread!

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

There is too much of a good thing, but only for a little while :wink:

Give it a few months, you'll be craving them all over again.

I've seen quite a few references touting popping live shellfish and mollusks into the freezer for 20 min. or so to make them easier to dispatch/open. Never seen this tip for oysters. Might work though.

In Australia you can either buy your oysters either live (unopened) or shucked. Both are entirely safe to eat raw. When I buy live oysters I actually do place them in the freezer for about 20 minutes, flat side up. This seems to loosen the muscle and make them a hell of alot easier to shuck. I also do this with clams and cockles. Works like a charm :biggrin:

Regards

Tom

I want food and I want it now

In Australia you can either buy your oysters either live (unopened) or shucked. Both are entirely safe to eat raw. When I buy live oysters I actually do place them in the freezer for about 20 minutes, flat side up. This seems to loosen the muscle and make them a hell of alot easier to shuck. I also do this with clams and cockles. Works like a charm :biggrin:

Regards

Tom

We do this all the time with big chowder clams, and wondered if it would work for oysters. In fact, we keep chowder clams frozen until ready to use. Thanks for mentioning it. Next time I don't have my husband to open oysters for us, I'll be placing those babies flat side up in the freezer!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

We do this all the time with big chowder clams, and wondered if it would work for oysters. In fact, we keep chowder clams frozen until ready to use. Thanks for mentioning it. Next time I don't have my husband to open oysters for us, I'll be placing those babies flat side up in the freezer!

If you want you can also freeze live unshucked oysters for about a month before using. If they're shucked I wouldn't try it but in all honesty unlike lobster, crab etc the taste doesn't detiorate because they're locked in their own "zip lock" bag. However if I've frozen them I usually only use them grilled, baked etc but sometimes if I feel evil I'll eat them raw :biggrin:

Regards

Tom

Note: These are Australian oysters and I can get them fresh everything second day so I don't know how this would effect you :biggrin:

I want food and I want it now

• 6 months later...

I have 12 fresh medium Pacific oysters. I panfried some the other night (good but much too big for that) and want to try somethin else. I need to use them within a couple of days so please help. I am interested in some stews or chowders etc...really anything!

Thanks in advance.

OK... this is something that should work, making 6 each, for you and your fiance. I like to open them (well actually I like my husband to open them) and set the oysters aside, reserving the juice. Blanch some chopped savoy cabbage and set aside. Boil the oyster liquor with a little white wine added until reduced to almost a glaze. Whisk in some cream, and reduce until you have the thickness you want for a cream sauce. Put a little "nest" of the savoy cabbage in each half shell, and then put an oyster on each nest. Put under the broiler only until the edges of the oysters curl. Remove from the oven and top each with a little cream sauce and then a little dollop of cheap caviar, or whatever you can afford. We use the salmon or whitefish easily found in the supermarket. Then serve... it helps if you have some rock salt to put on the plates and set the oysters on that to hold them steady, and it makes for a nice presentation.

Our favorite way to eat oysters is raw, dipped in a wine-shallot sauce, but I'm assuming you wanted to cook them somehow. If you would like the dipping sauce proportions, let me know.

You probably could make enough oyster stew for two with 12 oysters... Here is Emeril's recipe, which is pretty close to how I make it. You could half his recipe.

Have fun!

Edited by Susan in FL (log)

I was going to suggest raw. Don't bother with any preperation except for the shallot sauce if you must. But a squirt of fresh lemon and you will be in heaven. I'm very jealous :smile:

All right! This will be way more than you need, obviously you will half or third...

1/2 cup white wine

1/2 cup white wine vinegar

3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots

About a teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Enjoy :wub:

OK... this is something that should work, making 6 each, for you and your fiance. I like to open them (well actually I like my husband to open them) and set the oysters aside, reserving the juice. Blanch some chopped savoy cabbage and set aside. Boil the oyster liquor with a little white wine added until reduced to almost a glaze. Whisk in some cream, and reduce until you have the thickness you want for a cream sauce. Put a little "nest" of the savoy cabbage in each half shell, and then put an oyster on each nest. Put under the broiler only until the edges of the oysters curl. Remove from the oven and top each with a little cream sauce and then a little dollop of cheap caviar, or whatever you can afford. We use the salmon or whitefish easily found in the supermarket. Then serve... it helps if you have some rock salt to put on the plates and set the oysters on that to hold them steady, and it makes for a nice presentation.

yum, this sounds great Susan!! I just might have to try this...

Recently I was at a friend's house for dinner and they made a sorrel pesto for the oysters, lightly broiled them, then put the pesto on, then served. They were incredibly delicious. hmmm I should get that recipe too :raz:

Born Free, Now Expensive

Hi, M.! That oyster preparation with the savoy cabbage has been one of our favorite oyster dishes for a long time... Besides the raw, of course.

I would love to see that sorrel pesto/ oyster recipe if you get it, or do an improv. I don't often find sorrel in our markets, so I grab it up when I do. Next time I have some, I'll try this.

I served a mignonette at my oysterbar that went like this:

1 cup Champagne Vinegar

5 minced Shallots

2 heaped spoonful of William/Sonoma 5peppercorn blend (leave whole)

best to leave a couple days before serving. This out -served the trad cocktail sauce by end of season. :smile:

Edited by johnnyd (log)

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

• 3 months later...

Christmas day and after the wild River Towy Smoked Salmon we have six dozen oysters Colchester Native No.4 to eat with some chilled vodka.

Apart from the tabasco and lemons what else should I offer as a addition? Someone suggested boiled eggs (I have tried them with caviar and decided they ruined good caviar but Ive never tried it with oysters)

Can anyone advise how do you make the shallot stuff that I have had served before?

Just FYI they are being followed by a boullion then Foie Gras on Bread fried in dripping then Confit duck with green beans and roast potatoes

Pud and cheeses. (C. Basset Stilton, Northumberland (just the most amazing thing ever made from milk) Kielder (so golden it looks like butter.) and St Endellion)

I just serve them with bread and butter. Or oyster crackers, which also taste great when dipped into with a proper 'American' cocktail sauce made with ketchup, horseradish, lemon Worcestershire sauce.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Can anyone advise how do you make the shallot stuff that I have had served before?

I think you are thinking of a mignonnette. I believe it is simply finely diced shallots, cracked black pepper, and champagne vinegar. This is my absolute favorite thing to eat with raw oysters... well aside from plain oysters and oysters with a dash of lemon (meyer if you got it).

The Mignonette is dead-on. Allow to sit for a few days and it mellows.

We make Oysters Moscow almost every NYE:

Sour Cream and horseradish, (2:1, I think), spoon a bit on to your shucked (and drained) oyster, then top with a generous dab of caviar. Magnifique!

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com