• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

London after-theater dining

Any ideas for excellent, preferably new, London restaurants that will take last orders as late as 10:45 or 11 on a weekday night? We need one in Islington, near the Almeida Theater and the rest within striking distance (cab, tube or foot) of the West End. We weren't expecting to be in London, so haven't done our usual homework. Re: Islington, I hear wildly varying things about Conran's Almeida restaurant - anyone have any views? Thanks, all.

Edited by emsny (log)

Personally, I like the Almeida and given the dearth of decent restaurants in Islington I think it is certainly the best bet for post theatre. Also has good celeb spotting potential if that interests you at all.

The food is very traditional french and much better than the service which lacks consistency.

If you don't fancy it and want to stay local I'd suggest going downmarket and trying one of the ethnic options some of which are quite good.

Thank you, Janice. I've booked the Almeida after looking at the menu on line - it seems like one of those menus on which one will always something appealing whatever sort of mood one is in.

Edited by emsny (log)

Gavroche used to do a stonking post theatre deal. after 10:00pm

any 2 courses ala carte, plus a glass of wine with each course + water & coffee.

£50

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

I like Fino (Charlotte Street) for post theatre. I am never sure whether by the time we eat I am going to be starving hungry or my appetite will have actually declined so tapas is perfect - you just adjust the number of dishes you order.

And if you fancy tapas but want something a little less expensive, Mar I Terra near Piccadilly Circus would fit the bill.

Gavroche used to do a stonking post theatre deal. after 10:00pm

any 2 courses ala carte, plus a glass of wine with each course + water & coffee.

£50

Yes I have heard that too- that's astonishingly good value bearing in mind some of the a la carte dishes nudge the £35/40 mark.

Had a very pleasant set lunch there a couple of weeks back which I'll get round to writing up soon.

Gavroche used to do a stonking post theatre deal.  after 10:00pm

£50

Yes I have heard that too- that's astonishingly good value bearing in mind some of the a la carte dishes nudge the £35/40 mark.

Had a very pleasant set lunch there a couple of weeks back which I'll get round to writing up soon.

I have used this a few times, just not in the last year - hence I can't confirm it's still valid.

It is amazing value if you think about it.

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?