• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bennies of Englewood

Rachel Perlow

Jason and I have posted about Bennies previously, here for example, but I thought it now deserves a thread all its own.

As Jason wrote, "Bennies (Englewood). Just a little hole in the wall, but dont let that fool you. Bennies is a serious lebanese restaurant with mezze and salads to die for (amazing smoky babaghanoush), in addition to perhaps the best felafel in the entire area and a real Turkish coffee service with the old style coffeepots and everything-- and you can even eat there on Fridays and weekends, unlike the other israeli establishments in nearby teaneck."

We returned there last night and the renovation they've been working on for the past few months is nearing completion. There used to be a counter in the front where single's could eat and watch Benny work his magic. That bar is gone (soon to be converted into a banquet table) and all the cooking is now done in the kitchen to the rear. This has made room for several additional tables, which I hope will be constantly filled soon (as long as they save one for us :wink: ).

Fortunately, the menu has remained unchanged, both in price and variety. Fadia is still doing most of the cooking, and Adi and his sister still offer the friendliest service. Since the family has been doing the majority of the work themselves (with one contractor's help), it's been a slow process, but they've managed to keep the restaurant open most of the time and the food prices reasonable.

As an aside, Benny mentioned that a new regular who "heard about us on the internet" has been asking about Jason there. If H.S. is out there and would like to meet us there sometime, just send me an eGullet message! :smile:

Bennies Restaurant, 54 E Palisade Ave, Englewood (201) 894-5700

Hours:

- 11AM - 9PM: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday

- 11AM - 10PM: Thursday, Friday, Saturday

- Closed Sunday

Edit: fixed broken link

Edited by Rachel Perlow (log)

They're closed Sunday because all the other places that serve similar food (see quote above from Jason) are closed on Saturday and Friday night. Since those places are open on Sunday, Fadia felt that was a good day for them to take off. We've arrived there on a Sunday night only to be disappointed that they were closed :sad: so I felt it was important to let everyone know.

I have no clue/you don't really need them. Everytime we have been there for dinner its been relatively empty, even when there were fewer tables, although the counter seating was often busy. Apparently, they are much busier at lunchtime. A lot of people only think of them as a kind of a deli, take-out place. That is one of the reasons they wanted to reorganize their space, moving the salad display case to the rear and removing the counter seating.

However, one time we were in a rush, but wanted a decent meal. We called our order in ahead from the car and it was ready just after we were seated.

BTW - I forgot to mention that during nice weather they set up tables outside for a sidewalk cafe feel.

Quote: from tommy on 3:22 pm on Feb. 7, 2002
Quote: from Jason Perlow on 3:20 pm on Feb. 7, 2002

They arent Catholic. They are muslim.

rut-roh.  did jhlurie's subtle humor sneak by you jason?

Yeah, like a freight train.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Hi Jason, I am the H.S. you mention in your post. First of all I am not sure who likes this restaurant better, you or my wife and I. In fact we were there last evening (first time since their renovation) and had a wonderful dinner. He gets his tuna from his brother Charles who owns the Wild Ginger sushi rest. just down the street and prepared it beautifully. Served with some couscous, eggplant, red peppers and cauliflower it could not be improved upon. We always bring a bottle of wine with us and share it with Benny and his wife. They happen to love wine and in fact gave us a wonderful bottle of Lebanese Cab. Sauvignon by name of Ksara. Last week it was mentioned in the wine spectator. It is hard to believe that in such a worn torn country they still are able to produce excellent wines. We go there almost every Saturday for lunch (loved to sit at the bar) and at least once during the week for dinner. Would love to meet you guys there. Always enjoy your posts and we usually agree on what we do and don't like about our neighborhood restaurants. Chow

Hank

• 4 months later...

Jason and I hadn't been to Bennies for at least 6 weeks, so we were looking forward to our return visit tonight. They seemed to have finally finished the decoration after the remodeling. The long wall with the banquettes is now accented by an artistically broken fresco depicting the Lebanese seaside and ancient ruins.

The food and service, as always, were excellent. But for a Friday night they were pretty empty. Go eat there and tell Adi, Bennie and Fadia we said Hi!

• 2 years later...

For a long time now Bennies has become my families favorite neighborhood restaurant (we all try to meet there almost every Friday evening)so we were all most delighted that they received a much deserved 3 star review from the Bergen Record this past Friday.

Abrahim and his lovely wife Fadia (both born and raised in Lebanon)and together with some help from their children have created a truly wonderful middle eastern restaurant.

Their Huumus and Baba Garnush (bad spelling) are as good as it gets and a fabulous starter along with Pita bread.

They have excellent grilled vegetables, many salads both hot and cold with their three bean salad my personal favorite. Abrahim (we all call him Bennie) at times will make a lamb couscous for us that is a marvelous rendition of this very popular dish. He serves quite a few lamb, chicken, fish and shrimp and at times beef dishes if you do not like going the vegetarian route. Fadia's expertice is desserts and you just can't leave without sampling some of them. Rather than sugar she use only honey to sweeten her cakes and pastries. It is BYOB and they actually have decent glass ware. Not to forget, they use no butter or cream in their cooking.

This restaurtant does not have wonderful decor or ambiance but it does have a family that is dedicated, by very hard work, to bring its customers the absolute freshest and tastiest food they possibly can serve.

PLEASE, do not think for a moment that I have any interest in this restaurant aside from the fact that we have come to really care for this family who left a war torn country to build a new life in America for themselves and their children and I believe have succeeded (to our benefit) in that dream. As I am sure many fo our parents did in past years.

Again, many thanks to Rachel and Jason who put us onto Bennies a couple of years ago. As often is the case you were right on in your recommendation.

Hank

I disagree with you in regard to the ambiance. I love the funky decor.

I've merged this thread with the previous one about Bennies, but left your subtitle, with the 3* review comment. Sounds to me like we're going to start having to make reservations to get a table at Bennies. (I wish that for them, they're just never busy enough, IMO.)

Here's a link to the online "review capsule" for Bennies, as well as El Gran Mexicano, Rats and a few others. Do they not put full reviews online?

Definitely get the babaghanous (sp?), it is transcendantly good (so is the version at Samdan in Cresskill, fwiw). I must admit to being sort obsessive about it (much to the amusement of my wife) but I find it to be that good. Incredible place over all (and I like the funky decor as well.)

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

I happen to think Bennies makes a fantastic felafel sandwich -- definitely make sure you get the shepherds bread (wrap) as opposed to the standard pita.

By far however, my favorite dish there is what I like to call and is informally referred to there as the "Adi Sandwich", named for Abrahim's son because it's his favorite. For a while it wasn't on the formal menu but I think it is now, as the Kufta Kebab sandwich. Its outstanding.

Their babaghanoush is probably the best in all of North Jersey, as is their hummus, but they have some really other interesting mezze as well -- particularly the spicy eggplant, a curried chicken salad, and a lemony-spinach type thing. Also, their kibbeh is really really good.

They will also do the full Turkish Coffee and Lebanese Tea treatment here too, and they do a great job. Abrahim's wife, Fadia, who is the real boss of the place, makes a variety of amazing baklava-type things from scratch. I have a friend in Nutley who's gone there to buy entire sheet pans worth of her stuff.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Just to let you know the kind of people these are, since Fadia knows we are Jewish and the fact that she makes fabulous flowerless cakes for the restaurant, every Passover she bakes for us "flowerless" cakes to take home with us. Even though my wife is a wonderful cook and my family loves our sedar it is now Fadia and her cakes that take center stage at our sedars.

What a wonderful lesson if only the Muslims and Jews on the other side of the world could learn to live together like that.

Hank

Rosie, Please call Fadia at 201-894-5700. I am certain that she will gladly give you her recipe. Actually she makes them with either chocolate, orange and splendid other combo's. Not only are they wonderful but healthy to boot and never gooey sweet.

Hank

• 1 month later...
Their babaghanoush is probably the best in all of North Jersey, as is their hummus, but they have some really other interesting mezze as well -- particularly the spicy eggplant
-Jason Perlow

Last night I resisted the urge to get the babaghanoush and got the spicy eggplant instead. I must say it completely rocked my little world- no real tahini character but that is replaced by the focus on the wonderfully smoky eggplant, a nice fresh veggie and herb component, more of a rustic texture and...spicy, definitely spicy. I may have a new fave!

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

• 1 year later...

I'm amazed we've never posted any Bennies photographs yet. Here we are, albeit highly processed because of the very low lighting, so excuse the graininess please:

gallery_2_4_63170.jpg

Storefront on Palisade Ave. You might be seriously challenged to find a parking space during prime dining hours.

gallery_2_4_9803.jpg

Dining Room

gallery_2_4_42234.jpg

Mezze display

gallery_2_4_42523.jpg

Mezze

gallery_2_4_45997.jpg

Mezze

gallery_2_4_41190.jpg

Tabbouleh and Roasted Cauliflower with Carrots

gallery_2_4_5038.jpg

Spicy Eggplant and Hummus

gallery_2_4_76543.jpg

Okra with Rice

gallery_2_4_4223.jpg

Kafta Kebab Sandwich

gallery_2_4_65172.jpg

Arabic Coffee Service

gallery_2_4_19367.jpg

Tea Service

gallery_2_4_64568.jpg

Nutella and Banana Crepe

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host