• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: daniellewiley - From pig hocks to tailgates

Wow!! Who knew I'd have a controversial food blog?? :biggrin:

Here's my plan, and SobaAddict, please let me know if it's not appropriate. I will blog about what I eat. If Dylan is with me, I will mention her food as well, and it will usually be what I eat, unless she refuses. In that case, I will tell you what she has as well.

What I will leave out is the lunch I pack Dylan every day and her breakfast, as I don't eat mine until I get to work, and she's not with me at that point.

Cool?

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

You know, in Germany, there is a fast food called "currywurst" where they take a bratwurst , and cover it in ketchup then sprinkle with curry powder and paprika. Some places a little more upscale might make the sauce beforehand and let the curry powder simmer in tomato sauce. My ex LOVED curry wurst. :hmmm:

I can't wait to read about all of your ethnic adventures! I think that it is absolutely wonderful that you are exposing your child to different foods at a young age. An epicurean in the making!

Yes, those seem to be the same type of squash. Yours are much bigger though!!

Nobody has ever said that about my squash. :hmmm:

I think we've figured it out!! Here is what I found on the Winter Creek Gardens site:
It is called Zahra or Cousa squash and is from the middle east. Taste-wise they are tough to beat, although they don't hold for as long as some of the commercial varieties.

Thanks for the info, Danielle. I am interested to see how you're gonna prepare the squash, and to read your take on how the cousas are "tough to beat" when compared to other squashes.

Danielle, I must have missed this somewhere along the way: why do you usually do your shopping in Ann Arbor? Do you work there?

This question has a somewhat complicated answer.

Neither myself nor my husband works in Ann Arbor - we used to live there, and will likely be relocating there if we ever sell our house (which seems doubtful at this point).

So, we love Ann Arbor. That's one answer to your question.

Another is the quality of food there. Toledo is great for ethnic items, but for very high quality imported foods, nothing can beat Zingerman's - in fact, people all over the world order food from them. We also love going to Whole Foods, and Toledo doesn't have one. We have a couple of small natural foods stores, but they are expensive and don't have anything close to the selection of Whole Foods. We try to eat organic whenever possible, so it is worth it to make the trip. Also, the butcher up in Ann Arbor features non-hormone meat from local sources.

One of the reasons we will probably be moving back is because it is silly to drive almost an hour to go food shopping, and food is so important to us.

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

I can't imagine a better reason to choose a place to live than accessibility to good food shopping. Restaurants would probably be there someplace among other facilities of some importance.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I can't imagine a better reason to choose a place to live than accessibility to good food shopping. Restaurants would probably be there someplace among other facilities of some importance.

Ditto.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Personally I dislike babies and children, and would rather they were kept out of the serious business of food, except incidentally, or as Dean Swift's modest proposal..

I realise that its hard for parents to keep the little monsters fed, but it is an unskilled process, universally solved.

My palate is not juvenile. Bring on the foie gras, and leave out the Mickey D's, or whatever they eat, I say.

My fondest hope is that this site caters to personal tastes by inclusion and not exclusion. Members are free to read or ignore all threads and posts, but I hope that those of us involved in a continuum of life greater than our own, feel free to talk about the skills involved in not only feeding their kids, but in developing their palates. "They" do not necessarily eat at Micky D's and it's particularly discouraging to read that anyone here thinks they do, or should.

I am reminded of the time my daughter was on a home stay program in France and she and a few local kids were dropped off at a Micky D's in Avignon for lunch. She sat staring longingly out the window across the street to the starred restaurant she already knew and would have preferred. Fortunately she drew a better gastronomic hand the next year and found herself in family where the father's favorite wine was Guigal's La Mouline. Otherwise she might have well grown up thinking that feeding the French is an unskilled process and that the French universally have a juvenile palate.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

moreso, probably.

In the spirit of inclusion, can I ask this question: Would you have been less disturbed if the sausage had been properly centered in the bun, where each end protrudes no more than the other?

Or maybe you simply don't like ketchup on brats?

In the spirit of inclusion, can I ask this question: Would you have been less disturbed if the sausage had been properly centered in the bun, where each end protrudes no more than the other?

hahaha, yeah... a little from column a, a little from column b....

Agree absolutely. I've lived in Atlanta since 1985 and one of the best things about living here is the great food shopping. But very little German/middle European/Scandinavian, something I very much miss about living in Danielle's part of the world (Sandusky we ever lived to Toledo). Looking forward to seeing what's on offer.

Can you pee in the ocean?

moreso, probably.

There are a few things I find a bit disturbing about that photo: ketchup is not appropriate for bratwurst; missing condiments include mustard and kraut (some would say onions as well); and the most objectionable thing is that the brat has not been grilled.

Perhaps it is a Wisconsin thing (I spent virtually my entire life there until a few months ago) but brats are always grilled. Some boil in beer with onions and then grill. Some grill and then hold in simmering beer. Some split open and grill till dry. Some grill whole so the brat remains juicy. But everyone grills.

Perhaps it isn't a brat at all and is instead a weisswurst (somewhat similar to a brat but with a good chunk of the pork replaced with veal). If so, simmering in water (preferably in a Nesco) and NOT throwing them on the grill is totally appropriate. Not sure why, perhaps the veal doesn't hold up well to the intense heat of the grill.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

First of all, thank you eGullet, for giving me a wonderful excuse to come home for lunch! I eat breakfast at work every day, because I can't bear to eat right after I wake up. Here is a photo of what I ate this morning. This is basically what I eat every weekday morning that I come to the office in the summer:

0.jpg

The Heritage-O's are my favorite cereal, and I'm not a cereal person, so that's saying a lot. They are very crunchy and have a faint sweetness. Today I topped them with 2 sliced strawberries, a big handful of blueberries and some raspberries that I froze yesterday. I have been freezing my raspberries the day I buy them because I can't bear to lose any to mold or mushiness. I find that by the time I get to work they are defrosted. I'm excited about this new process of mine - it will let me eat my summer breakfast in the winter this year. Oh, I forgot to mention - I use Silk Vanilla soy milk in the cereal. I'd be just as happy with skim milk, but the soy is less likely to get filched from the office fridge.

I just finished lunch. I heated up some vegetable gyoza:

1.jpg

This was an OK lunch - nothing special. I still feel hungry, and will more than likely grab some Hershey's kisses on my way out the door. I dipped the gyoza in a combination of soy sauce, brown rice vinegar and chili garlic sauce. That was tasty, at least:

2.jpg

I'll spare you the photo of my chocolates. I think we all know what those look like. :biggrin:

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

A small request, Danielle.

When it comes time to describe the tailgating party on Saturday, could you please go into a little as to exactly what tailgates are? For the benefit of those of us who might be unfamiliar with the tradition of tailgating.

If memory serves, this is the first time I've seen tailgating outside of the American South. Perhaps I need to get out more. :blink::biggrin:

Soba

When it comes time to describe the tailgating party on Saturday, could you please go into a little as to exactly what tailgates are?  For the benefit of those of us who might be unfamiliar with the tradition of tailgating.

If memory serves, this is the first time I've seen tailgating outside of the American South.  Perhaps I need to get out more.  :blink:  :biggrin:

Soba

Yes, of course. I didn't grow up with tailgating either - it wasn't a big thing on Long Island. That will be a fun blog day.

I want to mention that I skipped the Hershey's kisses. :hmmm:

As I was washing my lunch dishes, I remembered the apples, so I grabbed one of those along with a handful of almonds. I think this blog-thing is good for my nutritional health. Well, except for that ice cream last night.

Edited by daniellewiley (log)

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

When it comes time to describe the tailgating party on Saturday, could you please go into a little as to exactly what tailgates are? For the benefit of those of us who might be unfamiliar with the tradition of tailgating.

If memory serves, this is the first time I've seen tailgating outside of the American South. Perhaps I need to get out more. :blink::biggrin:

Soba

I thought tailgating was national. Or maybe it's just where the weather's good. Tailgate parties in SF and Oakland are big. At Dead shows, too. :wink:

I thought tailgating was national. Or maybe it's just where the weather's good. Tailgate parties in SF and Oakland are big. At Dead shows, too.  :wink:

Keep in mind us po' folk outside the US of A who don't tailgate per se. I know what "tailgating", but haven't experienced one, except on TV with Kevin Braugh on Thirsty Traveller. I'll be looking forward to that part of the blog for sure.

Arne

I thought tailgating was national. Or maybe it's just where the weather's good. Tailgate parties in SF and Oakland are big. At Dead shows, too. :wink:

Definately national; I've been to or seen good tailgates in CT, MA, NC, NM and CA!

Of course, the season may be a litttle shorter in Green Bay--but who knows; maybe they've come to some ingenious solutions.

Thanks daniellewiley--fun blog so far, especially with the German Festival.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Tailgating in't restricted to football either. It can be done before any sporting event held in a stadium.

Actually, the only requirement for a good tailgate is a parking lot. :laugh:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Tailgating in't restricted to football either. It can be done before any sporting event held in a stadium.

Actually, the only requirement for a good tailgate is a parking lot. :laugh:

Or a big grass field if you don't have that ;). At UD games the tailgating tends to expand a good bit beyond the parking lot into the surrounding 'general overflow' field areas. But it is fun, oh so very fun. I can't wait for football season to get started already, first game this thursday night, I'm so there, grill in hand...

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide