• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

When is a Cuisine a Canadian Cuisine?

stovetop

Chef Fowke are we as Canadian Chefs finally getting something we can call Canadian Cuisine, for me I notice varied differences in style depending where you go in Canada, Vancouver definitely has regional styles but are we just becoming an ethnic cuisine style or are the kids backgrounds that come from all over really becoming Canadian, they are born here so that makes them Canadian thus Canadian cuisine??

When we Canadians are trained by Canadian Born chefs working with Canadian products does not that make Canadian Cuisine???

We have so much world influence in Vancouver, but yesterday I was digging back in the postings and it is strange to read all those critical posting by all the Critics, they come to Vancouver and approach the scene with rose colored glasses, like are we New York, Montreal, Seattle, LA; No we are not, we are Vancouver, the public here has very different needs and are not into the what is hot and what is not scene, we in the restaurant business in Vancouver have a very big cost factor so we must survive, to do so we have to meet the needs of the market, not the whims of the trendy, to do so will inedible be your demise because the trendy change.

Something similar is peoples hardness in trying to analyze Hawaiian food, god what the hell is someone trying to use New York as a base to criticize something, remember people NEW York is almost bigger then all of Canada, you can have the most finite of concepts and you will find a market, 1% of 13 million is 130,000 that is almost bigger then Van proper, you can not serve small Markets in Vancouver, you have to accommodate the locals, I am sure in Hawaii it is the same, but they have a huge tourist market so I am sure they have to accommodate them. Hawaii is Hawaii not New York, if you want something to be like New York then stay home and eat their, or open your mind and try something different, then learn and build a base of knowledge then the critics can adjust their parameters then can be critical, otherwise in my opinion you as the critic are not objective?? (Subjective)??

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

Chef, you felt that this should be a new topic so I started one.

This is a topic dear to my heart.

I am as Canadian as you get, and Vancouver to me is as Canadian as you get, it is not ethnic food but Canadian food. We all live together and share food, so it is not hard to be influenced by what's around you, Vancouver has some great raw foods that make great chefs, not the other way around, I am as good as what I cook with, this is my style of food, 20 years in the food business and I have learned so much, but i have so far to go, I will never in my life time learn everything, but I will die trying.

steve

Stovetop,

An interesting discussion. In the aviation industry, Canada is known as a "long, thin route", i.e. the population and therefore the marketplace is peppered along the 49th parallel. In the US, the geographic market is as deep as it is broad.

In dining in several Candian cities last summer with a variety of proprietors and food writers, one distinction became abundantly clear: some cities have a distinctive (or regional cuisine) whereas some do not. In the 'do' column, you would find Quebec City, Charlottetown, Vancouver and Victoria. In the 'do not' column, you'd find Calgary and Toronto. Montreal and the prairie capitals enjoy a quasi-regional cuisine, but it is much more apparent in the summer months.

Vancouver might be the most exciting labratory of them all, because in addition to now enjoying a disitinctive local cuisine (quite different than, say, Seattle's, although the ingredients are similar), there are some other elements at work too:

First, unlike Toronto and Calgary, we are not an expense account city. So it follows that expensive, imported ingredients are only featured in a few restaurants. It also follows that local chefs are more inclined to work with what they have on their doorstep (and is less expensive), especially now that it's fashionable to do so.

Second, we like to eat casually and accessibly. In writing about the local tapas or small plates phenomenon six years ago, we found out that for chefs and food writers in other cities (New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago) small plates weren't even on the radar. We got a stunned silence on the other end of the line. (If you were to unravel the culinary DNA of the trend, by the way, it would lead you to the corner of Davie and Burrar--to Bin 941).

Third, we have a high ratio of restaurants to population.

Fourth, since 1986 we have benefitted from a remarkable incursion of diverse cultures that have conributed distinctive flavours at hysterically low prices.

Last, the cost of leasehold space is still fairly reasonable, especially as compared to London and New York.

So add all these up and ask again: "Do we have a Canadian cuisine?"

I don't think so, because all cuisines, like politics, should be local. I think we have much more in common with Seattle, Portland and San Francisco than we do with Toronto or Montreal. And that isn't just because we share those common ingredients, but also because we share a common attitude about what we eat and how we do it, and not just because of our pan-Canadian obsession with the butter tart.

Cheers,

Jamie

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Hi Steve.

I have to think about this to post a more articulate reply, but off the cuff I agree that there is in fact Canadian cuisine. :smile:

I have to laugh as the first thing I thought of was the butter tart! :wink::cool: And that is because it is one of the first differences I saw from reading about Pacific Northwest cuisine, as an entire region, and B.C.'s contributions to same (despite the butter tart isn't limited to B.C., that and Nanaimo bars!).

Alaskans share those yummy salmonberries among with many other similar/common local ingredients.

Hmmm, I'm off to find some of my favourite cookbooks to revisit. :smile:

Thanks!

Edited by beans (log)

"Do we have a Canadian cuisine?"

I don't think so, because all cuisines, like politics, should be local. I think we have much more in common with Seattle, Portland and San Francisco than we do with Toronto or Montreal. And that isn't just because we share those common ingredients, but also because we share a common attitude about what we eat and how we do it, and not just because of our pan-Canadian obsession with the butter tart.

It's like the old question "What is a Canadian?" I agree with Jamie ... especially after visitng Portland this summer.

Funny Jamie's reference to politics. It reminded me of Cascadia ... so perhaps there is a Cascadian cuisine. The regional take also plays out in Quebec and the Maritimes.

If there's a "Canadian" element in all of this its perhaps our need to apologise when things don't turn out right ... or our ability to make risotto in a canoe.

Arne

Why is it that the USA can have regional cuisine but that regional cuisine is as American as apple pie, but here in Canada, we can not have a regional cuisine and still be Canadian; are we having an identity problem?

Why are we part of the Pacific Northwest and not Canadian, is it more Western alienation that we are feeling; the East is more drawn to Europe and the Eastern US , it’s major trading partner, but here on the Pacific Coast, we are more drawn to the Far East (Asia Pacific) and the Western US, a major trading partner.

In the West; the 49th parallel is a new border, the Hudson bay Company existed out of the Columbia river , this province is Called British Colombia, yes we are having an Identity Crises, but I think it extends more from the British Identity more then any thing else, Vancouver has cultures from everywhere, I do not know about you, but I am a Canadian thus I am cooking Canadian Food, I am not French (France), Swiss, or German, I have lived and cooked in four distinct regions in Canada and have seen one common factor there is always one Cultural influence which to me has been the more interesting influence, that is French Canadian, we are a two language Country and the sooner we except this the better, the problem is Quebec does not except French outside of Quebec and the rest of us do not except French outside of Quebec , that is why we get along so well. Quebec is very Provincial and they protect their Provincial roots, But they are still Part of Canada and are not the only Province with French roots.

Vancouver has a huge Asiatic Population; Cantonese is probably spoken more as a first language then French Canadian, The Asian Influence has been here as long as the British, probably, even longer; Vancouver Cuisine is hugely influenced by Asian Food, but when and how many generations does this food become Canadian, 100 years??

This Cuisine has totally merged itself together, Kids from all cultures cooking each others food, after while the lines are not clear when one ends and one begins, Fusion.

That word that some critics love to slam, when fusion is done well it is amazing

This next generation of Canadian food is amazing it brings in everything from everywhere and merges it nicely together, no Escofier!!!

There are restaurants popping up everywhere selling high end quality food for excellent prices, this is the new generation of Vancouver, Old standouts are dropping like flies, it is not the eighties any more in Vancouver but many old restaurants have not moved with the times, the new generation is a huge buying power in Van and the go out, but not to old French and Italian restaurants but funky Café’s that serve booze, they are more bar like but serve excellent food .

Why does it matter. This weekend I'm going to Seattle, 108 miles south of the border. we are going to have lunch in a french place and dinner in a basque place. What connection do I have with Toronto? It's 3500 miles away.

Canada is not the great melting pot. We allow people to be who they are Italian, Sweedish, Cantonese whatever. In the US people want to be americans. Walk up to ten people in ST. Louis and ask them what they are? Seven will say American. Do it in Vancouver and the answer may be, A Lawyer, Chinese Canadian, unemployed, or various other answers. The same things apply to our cuisine.

What is the fois gras parfait at West? or the macaroni and cheese at Lumiere? Do we nee to call it fusion or Canadian to enjoy it? I think that all the Canadian facists should stick to hockey. Stay out of the food world before you ruin it too.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

Point taken; Coop

What connection do I have with Toronto? It's 3500 miles away

I wonder about that all the time??

Yes, but the American and Canadian press are trying to define Vans regional Cuisine all the time, go back in this section, I saw you around on a few post, they were having a hard time trying to define what it is that they were eating.

The Media always needs square pegs to fit in squares holes; look at music, music is music?? No, there is now thousands of sub categories, Marketers and Psychologist need this specialization so the can sell advertising.

But like you said what the hell does this have to do with food

steve

In dining in several Candian cities last summer with a variety of proprietors and food writers, one distinction became abundantly clear: some cities have a distinctive (or regional cuisine) whereas some do not. In the 'do' column, you would find Quebec City, Charlottetown, Vancouver and Victoria.

Jamie:

Cannot let this one go by. While I would argue that the Charlevoix and Malbaie areas have a more distinct regional cuisine than Quebec City per se I can see why you might mention it in this context.

However, your selection of Charlottetown perplexes me. We were in the area for two weeks a few summers ago. Terrific food at the Inn at Bay Fortune near Souris, good mussels at the Inn at St. Peters, nice salmon at Dalvray By The Sea but Charlottetown was pretty "grim".

Apart from traditional lobster dinners which were usually outside of Charlottetown what was the regional or distinctive cuisine you found in Charlottetown? Not many of the restaurants even had malpeques or other oysters from the waters of the island.

Do not get me wrong. We did have some good meals but they did not differ much from what I would see in any other city. We tried the Merchantman Pub, Kim's Bistro, Sirenella, The Gahan House Pub, Off or On Broadway amongst others.

Did miss unfortunately the Water Prince Store and the Pilot House had not yet opened.

Unfortunately we found that "island cuisine" was heavily dominated by deep fried this and that washed down with Jackson-Triggs white label Chardonnay.

Edited by merlin (log)

Merlin,

I'll gladly cede you Charlottetown as I ate mainly bivalves and crustacea, and several variations on the native spud (and not necessarily in restaurants), and had my eyes been closed I suppose it could have as easily been Kennebunkport as suburban Green Gables. But in Quebec City, each day we went to the farms (too bad the Globe missed Le Jardin des Chefs last week) and then followed the products back onto the plate that night--from foie gras to extraordinary vegetables. Distinctive: A sense of place via a sense of taste. And from the pans of guys who know when to get out of the way.

I do think that our cuisine spins on a north:south axis, again because of ingredients and the accessiblity/casual factor. So for anyone requiring the shorthand that apparently plagues the media, Cascadia is likely as good a moniker as any.

look at music, music is music?? No, there are thousands of sub-categories,

No doubt sub-woofers too Steve. As for me, when not making risotto in a canoe, I'm pretty much sticking to the micro-niches of Alternative Wallooon Gospel and Adult Contemporary Latvian Hillbilly.

And Coop is absolutely right of course. Culinary Chauvinism is about as interesting a forensic science as sifting thru Don Cherry's cravate collection. But in saying that, the most interesting places to eat in remain for me the ones that identify themselves.

And hopefully that runs a little farther than the metaphorical butter tart.

Cheers,

Jamie

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Without any offense to any and/or all, I referenced "Pacific Northwet" :wink: to a geographic area of land we both share -- North America, and that I specifically labourously collect and study in various cookbooks.

I'm not going to speculate upon identity crises. I can't.

However being a US citizen (edit to add: when asked, I'm Alaskan BTW), I can note the differences of dishes, blending of cultures that translates into food and only enjoy.

Edited by beans (log)

Without any offense to any and/or all, I referenced "Pacific Northwet"  to a geographic area of land we both share -- North America, and that I specifically labourously collect and study in various cookbooks.

There is definitely a culinary region here on the coast that goes beyond the 49, BC and Washington State share more then just a border, they share cultural history and have some of the same Icons, such as John McLaughlin (sp) (HBC). They also are very big trading partners and have very similar political ideals so why not food , Beans you never made any offense to me, without dialogue we will never be able to define what it is we are (food) here in BC or Canada.

steve

Beans,

Neat reply--Pacific Northwet might just be the monker we can all live with. Just look at the alternatives: I suppose if we were to be geographically correct (and not just politically correct), we might define ourselves thusly:

Hawaii = Mid Pacific

Oregon and Washington = Pacific North Western

British Columbia = Pacific South Western

Alaska = Pacific Far North Western

I'm just not quite sure where that leaves Tofino. Outboard Western? Or Italian restaurants using local ingredients? Spaghetti Western?

Stovetop has also raised some interesting points about pigeonholing cuisines and the coded shorthand that the food media depend on to save words while imparting Great Thoughts. Interestingly, Pacific North Western was one such term still used here in Vancouver to describe regional cooking until just a few years ago. Now you're more likely to see 'regional', 'contemporary regional', 'Canadian', 'Modern Canadian' or some variation to describe a restaurant or style of cooking that is pushed by the local larder or the pan-Canadian one.

The term 'Cascadian' (which sounds so much better than 'in the style of the Coast Mountains', which is what we call the northern extension of the Cascades) probably grew more out of the wine business than food in that the wine growing areas of Oregon, Washington and BC share a common soil and climate (and unlike humans, grapes don't recognize human-imposed boundaries).

But in some cases, the descriptor 'Modern Canadian' might work equally well, if not better, than any of the above to describe what goes on in some of the kitchens at the vanguard. I'll get to that in a moment.

I don't believe there is an identifiable Canadian Cuisine, per se. Mark me down not as an atheist but as an agnostic. It seems to me, as noted in earlier posts, that any notion of a nascent national cuisine looks more like a necklace (with the occasional gem of identifiable regional or local cooking dialects) strung largely across the 49th parallel. But there's certainly a case to be made for a restaurant, located anywhere in the country, that cherry-picks the very best of Canadian products and promotes them onto their menu.

Take Feenie's, for example, which now bills itself as a modern Canadian Brasserie and uses, where possible, only Canadian ingredients. So Quebec foie gras, cheeses and summer micro greens are found next to BC coastal halibut and sable, Pemberton tomatoes, golden beets and fingerling potaoes, Okanagan stone fruits, Fraser Valley duck, Alberta beef, Okanagan wines and cheeses and . . . well, you get the point.

Are these various brand names--'PNW', 'Cascadian', or 'Modern Canadian' important? I mean, beyond the journalistic shorthand? Probably, because restaurants are increasingly dependent on culinary tourism these days

and those culinary tourists (if you look at the 'three days in Vancouver' pleas on this forum) want to eat, according to their budget, a combination of meals that almost always requests local. Of course those meals might well be influenced by or (increasingly) even interwoven with some of the founding cuisines that got us here--especially Asian and French.

What doesn't seem to work anymore are words like 'fusion'--people run in the opposite direction because it describes little except a time in the late 80s of unfortunate home ec experiments--when the reach of young, local, underapprenticed chefs far exceeded the grasp of their pans.

You can probably use the word 'merged' more legitimately, especially when you examine the local phenomena of style and ingredients: take izakaya dining, small plates, ponzu, miso, soy or other strong Asian influences (they're almost ubiquitous) in occident-waiting-to-happen restaurants. Umami, a small plates room on Davie Street, is owned by a Japanese-Canadian, has a Japanese name, cooks equally Japanese-and French-influenced (and according to the chef Tuscan-influenced) dishes but with local ingredients. So there's just one strand of the DNA of our local cuisine.

But wait, there's less. Any culinary history of the coastal cities of the PNW (say Portland, Seattle, Victoria, Vancouver, Ketchikan, Juneau etc.), has to mention the fact that a century ago (in the case of most of them), what our ancestors ate was predominately local. By default, they were dependent on the product of the ocean, fields and forests. Before reliable refrigeration and economic transcontinental shipping, what was local was, by default, the daily special. A Christmas season menu from the Leland Hotel in 1898 featured "gollops of salmon", "roasted haunch of venison" (shot by "day hunters" in nearby Stanley Park) and oysters and . . . on it went. The only imported items seemed to be some spices, citrus, coffee, tea, and wine. The beer came from the Stanley Park Brewing Co.

And going back still further in time, and long before the white man despoiled this coast, the same held true. After all, had not the ocean and forests been so profligate, how else to explain the extrordinary indigenous art that continues to speak so powerfully to us? Because the artisans could knock off after lunch.

Too bad about the period from the 20s to the 80s, when canned foods (thanks to WWI), frozen foods, 'luxury foods' from far away (thanks to Ike and Mamie), and then convenience foods and draconian liquor legislation conspired to keep us from eating from just outside our back doors.

It would take us more than 60 years--two generations--to return to where we live, to prove, ultimately, that you can come home again.

Cheers,

Jamie

PS: For anyone wishing to explore the notion of a Canadian Cuisine, there's information on Northern Bounty, being convened in Kelowna later this month Northern Bounty

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Oh Jamie; what the chuck (Edmonton), has no local Cuisine, in my opinion it has some of the best local cuisine around, it does not get the press, but has some great foodies, and the Edmonton journal has one of the best food sections consistently for about 15 years, there are a small handful of quality restaurants that have outlasted many in the country, it is still a very viable restaurant city where chef and restaurateur can make a comfortable living and do not have to give all their money to a gov.

You have taste of Edmonton, one of the first restaurant fest in Canada, predates Van by a few years, you also have the Heritage days a three day Cultural fest where the food is brilliant, so in a word I believe you should not leave Edmonton out on your list, there is also some amazing food grown around Edmonton, it is a city that is on the cusp of any food trend sailing across Canada, many times it beats Van to the punch, also Seafood is as abundant as in Vancouver and sometimes it is Fresher, Alberta has the big Prarie seafood giant Billingsgate Fish Co. and it has been around since 1907, it has a huge buying power, as big as many local wholesalers in van.

The Ukrainian-Polish-German food Cultures are very big in Edmonton, sausage is king in Edmonton, Bread; Bee Bell Bakery has been around for ever.

Korean food; Bull Go Gi been around for ever, can go head to head with any Korean rest in Canada.

I could go on

Edmonton has always been under the radar; it just quietly goes about its business year after year.

Remember Calgary is not Edmonton, Edmonton voted liberal and NDP, the only spots in the Province, they used to call it Redmonton :wacko::laugh:

steve

Thank you Steve . I don't recall anyone disclaiming Edmonton (as not owning a local cuisine) so let's agree that it does. If my error was one of omission, forgive me. Besides, wasn't it, amongst the other culinary milestones that you point out, also the birthplace of Earls?

Thanks for pointing out his roof-top garden Montrachet--can't get much more local than that. Hiro may think he's cooking Tuscan, but I could have sworn that what he was cooking for us was more on the French/Japanese axis: puree of potatoes and celeriac, crab Louis, salad with a sherry vinegar and Dijon vinaigrette, duck in a fig demi, panko-crusted lamb rack in a miso demi.

But it doesn't matter. There are about 150 cultures and their cuisines converging here. And in the hands of someone like him, that convergence tastes good.

Cheers,

Jamie

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Thank you Steve . I don't recall anyone disclaiming Edmonton (as not owning a local cuisine) so let's agree that it does. If my error was one of omission, forgive me. Besides, wasn't it, amongst the other culinary milestones that you point out, also the birthplace of Earls?

Jamie, yes it was probably more of a omission then a disclaimer, and I agree that Edmonton does have a cultural food presence on the Cascadian fabric.

The Fuller family is one of many high quality Alberta restaurateurs, they are plentiful in the province and for Edmonton the proof is in the pudding, cause of the many long term restaurants that dot the city landscape, all trying to accommodate their customers and make a living, for me a restaurateur has to fulfill this mandate to survive, I do not care how great a chef is and the food, but if she or he can not survive as a business then how viable or great are they???

A new idea that I would like to interject is the aspect of local food and its influence on Canadian and local cuisine what ever its interpretation is. The whole development of local agriculture is great what is missing is companies like sysco that show no interest of supporting local farmers but opting out for their main distribution system and missing out on all that great product, it is a shame; but this leaves the bal in our court to support and do the homework required to source out all this great product and the consumer to care about what their actions have on the affect of local agriculture and that their decisions do have a great affect on the success of this local enterprise.

Like I said before food is king/queen and this is what makes Canadian food or regional food, it is the back bone of this new drive to make regional food a cornerstone of our culture, by thinking globally but eating locally, we need a new moniker cause like a few have said fusion is just confusion, so true when it is in the wrong hands the interpretation can be messed up.

steve

Good points Steve.

So now I get it, hard on the heels, so to speak, of naming the esteemed Chef Fowke's new restaurant (by the way Shaving Brian's Privates was the runaway peoples' choice) we have to come up with a name for our regional cuisine.

Hmmm. Let's see. I live in the neighbourhood called ForMiCa (Fourth Avenue between Milestone's and Capers) so how about, instead of PNW or Modern Canadian we call our brilliant coastal cooking LINOLEUM .

I'm sure you'll agree it's quite snappy and I'm pretty sure that it hasn't been taken yet. Even better, it stands on guard for thee, and what we all believe in: L ocal, I ndigenous, N ative, O ceanic, L ine-caught, E galitarian U nderwater M eats. And if we agree to pluralize it, we could add S ustainable too.

Surely that's a message that Tourism Vancouver could really work with, and even Governor General Clarkson could promote on her boondoggles to major markets like Iceland. Can't you just hear her? "You really must drop by Chemainus for some authentic LINOLEUM. It's really rather tasty, just like John Ralston."

As for inland cuisine branding in the wine country, how about Usually-OK ?

I'm sure that there will be many other suggestions too.

Cheers,

J.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Oregon and Washington = Pacific North Western

British Columbia = Pacific South Western

Alaska = Pacific Far North Western

I'm just not quite sure where that leaves Tofino.

have to admit i'm struggling to think of ingredients available only in OR/WA and not at least southern BC, or vice versa. (while i've been known to occasionally traffic in duck prosciutto, i'm ignoring our Yanks' lack of access to the amazing cured meats available in the Granville market.)

Alaska would certainly get its own designation, though there's a lot of seafoodish overlap. and other differences, including some mongo vegetables.

Tofino, well, maybe that's like the Vatican -- a city-state unto itself.

would love to see someone attempt to perform an adequate splitting of hairs between New American and New (or Modern) Canadian. as for Traditional American (non-regional), i don't know that we have much to crow about. Velveeta, maybe.

Hmmm. Let's see. I live in the neighbourhood called ForMiCa  (Fourth Avenue between Milestone's and Capers) so how about, instead of PNW or Modern Canadian we call our brilliant coastal cooking LINOLEUM .

I'm pretty sure that hasn't been taken yet, and could easily stand for what we all believe in: Local, Indigenous, Native, Oceanic, Line-Caught, Egalitarian Underwater Meats. And if we agree to pluralize it, we could add Sustainable too.

LINOLEUM gets my vote! As a kitchen designer, I have already seen a lot of LINOLEUM in local kitchens. Why, there's even LINOLEUM in my own kitchen. Maybe Feenie's new million dollar kitchen will feature LINOLEUM. Although if the food in question is net-caught, we may have to resort to just LINO :blink:

There's also CORIAN: Cascadian Originated, Regional, Indigenous And Native. :unsure:

Or even GRANITE: Granville Rise Awfull? Not In The Evening! :wacko:

Help me ... oh God please help me!

Arne

Tofino is part of the Pacific Rim, Alberni vallely, Uclulet, Tofino, Barkely Sound, Ect

Over a hundred white man years of history, but 1000 years of native and others history.

steve

Tofini is "Tofu-no"

Kits is "Skitzsilano"

Main street is becoming a great local food -drink spot, great ideas and great food, gourmet it is not, but to me high end is to unatenanble to the mases, you go to one once a year, a local establishment you are there 3-5 times a week, now that is Canadian.

Edited by stovetop (log)

Steve,

Tofini is "Tofu-no"

Is a Tofini one of those new-fangled girlie drinks from up your way?

Kits is "Skitzsilano"

And now wait just a second. That's a really cheap shot. Keep making remarks like that and I won't introduce you to my other personalities. Some of the best cooking in the known universe comes out of Kitsilano at Darby Dawe's, Bimini and The King's Head. Chatters is even rumoured to being investigating leasehold premises here. We even have a Cobbs Bakery for those who like their bread on the woollen side--just in time for winter. Surely these are all places that we can frequent frequently and take joy in being Canadian. And even comment on Mr. Cherry's haberdashery without fear of Zell Miller making us enlist.

Finally, we see your true colours, Steve.

Jamie

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine