• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Italian Food and Wine in Seattle

jbonne,

Thank you for being specific about the way you were treated at my place. I really do apologize and hope you will give us another chance. Please let me clarify a few things.

We have never closed the kitchen before the restaurant is closed. In fact it is my intention to accept customers up to 15 minutes after closing, unless we have had such a dead night that the kitchen has packed it up by closing. But we would never turn someone away before the specified closing time. I wish I knew who told you such a mean spirited thing, but I'll make sure it is never said again. I hate to see hungry people turned away at night. It makes me sad. And it hurts my pocketbook.

Lago has accepted reservations for almost four years now....It is rare to have to wait for a table more than 10 minutes if you have a res.

Sorry someone tried to correct your pronunciation, thats a definite no-no. I always tell my waitstaff that the Tuscans pronounce things different from the Milanese from the Sardinians, so on, so honor the spirit and don't be a snob.

I stand behind my current waitstaff, I feel they are all very kind and smart. Sometimes Lago is too busy and we are not prepared, so they may seem hurried and the kitchen can be slow, which leaves us open to fair criticism.

Try us again, we are doing the 20 dollar "Dinner at 8" neighborhood restaurant deal, guarenteed to be a really busy September. Make a reservation and please come up to the pizza oven to introduce yourself. I work Tuesdays, Thursdays, Sat and Sunday.

Best,

Carla

Carla -- thanks for the kind and detailed response. as it happens, i noticed Lago on the list of "Dinner at 8" restaurants, made reservations and will be in soon enough. sadly, we're headed in tonight, so don't know that i'll see you. but i'm hoping to be back in again soon enough.

just a couple small clarifications on my original comments, so no one gets the wrong idea. the pronounciation thing wasn't at Lago. (i won't name the restaurant, but i'll just say: Belltown.)

don't recall the kitchen ever being slow. at least not unreasonably slow, given the level of prep.

it sounds like my experience was an aberration, and perhaps well in the past. look forward to coming back, since there's a paucity of really good Italian in Seattle and i really value each good restaurant that's around ...

Thank you so much, jbonne. I don't mean to hog this thread with Cafe Lago so I will stop here while I'm ahead but I will be in tonight after 6, it looked busy on the books so I decided to help out in the kitchen. Please come up and say hi if you'd like.

Carla

Glad you both got through that. I will add my recommendation to Cafe Lago, Carla and Jordi are always wonderful and the ravioli is ethereal. Don't miss the gnocchi also.

My other favorite for Italian in Cafe Juanita. It is well worth the drive and the best food on the East side these days. Anything Holly does with small birds and duck or rabbit is not to be missed.

So we went to Assaggio. The food was mediocre. The mains and appetizers were very dissapointing. The desserts were pretty good though. On the good side the wine list and Amy the wine steward are outstanding.

We had a bottle of Sagarintinno de Montefalco from Rocca Ducale 99 (fading memory of this wines name) which was very ripe and approcable. Then with our entrees we had a 1999 Inama Bradississimo from Veneto. This is a very serious (cabernet 70%, Sangiovese 20%, and Carmenere 10%) wine which though still a bit tight was beautiful with our rather tastless entrees. The food reminded me of cruise ship food. It appeals to the lowest common denominator. It offends no one while really offering nothing exciting.

This place is very popular though. It was packed all night.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/