• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Speaking of sexy...

as i said in the el gaucho thread, i think it's one of the sexiest rooms in town. let's have some fun today: what are your faves?

i'm talkin' about good lighting, ambience that makes you purr, spots where you just can't help but slip your foot out of your shoe and rub it against your companion's leg. not meat markets or pick up joints but rather spots that just feel so....sexy.

my top choices include il bistro, the aforementioned gaucho, the upstairs deck at the swedish club (food sucks but the view is amazing), and luigi's place in pioneer square. but nothing comes close to the old cafe sophie on 1st ave. i miss it.

lemony

i agree lemony, i think el gaucho (and the pampas room downstairs) are very sexy. capitol club can be sexy...what's that saying? a couch, a lemon drop and thou? especially when it's not too packed or hipstered.

i could see the argument for marrakesh, but i wasn't into the food so it left me cold. i've had much better...um... reactions to dumpy eithiopian places. eating with my fingers - that amps the sex appeal of any venue.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

For me, no matter how sexy the atmosphere...mediocore/bad food throw cold water over the whole thing.

So....we seem to agree that El Gaucho is a combination of good food with sex appeal...there must be a few more places that have that combo plate on their menu.......

Edited by Foodie-Girl (log)

I think Serafina is sexy! twinkling lights on the patio, jazz band playing and great red wine!

I also think Chez Shea is sexy!

edited to add that Lark is on my sexy list too!

Edited by little ms foodie (log)

Il Bistro, definitely, the bar at the Sorrento qualifies for a great rendezvous. I think Cafe Campagne & the upstairs Campagne qualify in the evening hours... Marjorie's (used-to-be Lush Life) always seemed really sexy/romantic to me, especially the outside seating, Marco's Supper Club too. To me booths and/or banquettes are sexier than tables & chairs, so that to me is the El Gaucho appeal. Well, plus the lighting :rolleyes: The outside patio at Il Terrazzo Carmine on a warm summer night... And I've always loved the space at the Pink Door, inside and outside, but their food & service has always taken all sexiness away :sad:

Born Free, Now Expensive

La Spiga, Zig Zag, the patio at Sambar (the inside is a bit too bright and crowded to be sexy), and the Rendezvous, especially their upstairs, which they may or may not let you into, depending on if it has been reserved. I've never had the food at the Rendezvous, though. I agree with the Serafina vote for sexiness, though I've had a few mediocre meals there.

Edited by kiliki (log)