• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Slanted Door chef comes to Napa

Carolyn Tillie

There have been a number of recent postings of folks describing the down-hill status of the famous Slated Door. Well I may have found out why! In a PR report received today:

We are pleased to announce the appointment of Nam Phan, late of the Slated Door in San Francisco, as executive chef of the new General Cafe at the Napa General Store.

In the coming months we will be unveiling a series of Napa winery dinners which will match a flight of wines with a specially-prepared menu.

Should be interesting!

What!? Does this mean he's leaving SD? My wife never got to go, and she is gonna kill me! :biggrin:

Walt

Charles Phan is now the Executive Chef at the Slanted Door at Ferry Plaza Marketplace. Apparently it's difficult to get reservations there, as they're booked weeks in advance. I hadn't heard the "downhill status" thing at all. Interesting.

What!? Does this mean he's leaving SD? My wife never got to go, and she is gonna kill me! :biggrin:

Walt

Charles Phan is now the Executive Chef at the Slanted Door at Ferry Plaza Marketplace. Apparently it's difficult to get reservations there, as they're booked weeks in advance. I hadn't heard the "downhill status" thing at all. Interesting.

I wonder if Charles and Nam are related, having the same last name and everything?

And, Walt, you could always bring your wife to Napa!!!

Gaah, I read the headline "Slanted Door chef comes to Napa" and somehow put "Charles" in for "Nam." Way to give myself a heart attack. Phew.

Walt

Charles happens to be the owner, so I guess that WOULD be news. He and Nam may be related, since Charles hires a lot of his relatives.