• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Greek Food in Vancouver (merged)

frogprincess

No I haven't been, because I refuse to stand in line for anything.

I might stand in line to eat at a Russian restaurant, just to kinda get that pre-glasnost feel.

Although that's not entirely true. I stood in line last Friday at Salumi in Seattle for like 45 freakin' minutes. With kids. And you know what? I'd do it again in an instant.

I used to frequent La Grec back when it was where Bukowskis on Commercial is now, that was the last time I would reccomend a greek joint in town.

West Side the Best Side, I heard a rumor that Broadway and Macdonald area has a big accent of Greek Culture and will find some great Greek delis, bakeries, Greek food stores, the Greek Culture has a huge Influence and brings a great presence to the West Side, Broadway has a few Greek restaurants that have been consistent for years, summertime eating and drinking is on the minds of many locals who hang out at Athenes or other Greek Restaurants on beautiful Kitsilano evenings, and always close enough to the water to have a long walk after a good feast.

There is always Minerva's a great Greek deli and store, you love olives this is the place, Broadway bakery is very good, this whole little area is full of gems, walk around and explore.

steve

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

Cosmo's on Marine Drive in White Rock is good.

Go sometime other than Friday or Saturday night if you want to avoid the belly dancers. They're not exactly the first team - I think they work the Delta/Surrey/Langley circuit. :laugh:

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

I used to frequent La Grec back when it was where Bukowskis on Commercial is now, that was the last time I would reccomend a greek joint in town.

I second Keith on that! I used to work very close to The Drive and would frequent Le Grec. After they moved to 4th ... well it was just sad that's all. So much so that it's now Hell's Kitchen. I really miss Le Grec.

There is always Minerva's a great Greek deli and store, you love olives this is the place, Broadway bakery is very good, this whole little area is full of gems, walk around and explore.

Minerva's is great. Just be prepared for the post -lunch-garlic-breath.

One of life's most vexing mysteries is why we have no credible Greek restaurants in Vancouver.

I lifted this from another thread ... and its a sentiment echoed by a lot of my friends who have moved here from Toronto & Montreal. The Greek community here is very active (just check out my neighbour with his Greek flag out ever since Euro 2004), and yet the food scene is mediocre at best.

Arne

Big portions for little $$

Some people think that quantity is quality which is sad. I hear that Taki's a couple of doors down has far better food.

Aye to all that. From what I remember of Stepho's, nothing on the menu was over $9.99 including their roast lamb shoulder. But that's about the most memorable thing about Stepho's, their prices as opposed to their food. Meh. Taki's is much better.

My last visit to Minoas (in Burnaby, on Kingsway right?) was all right; mind you, that was a couple of years back now.

Love Minerva's. Used to be a regular at Athene's for dinner in my university days. And Le Grec is sorely missed.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Have been to Kalamata on Broadway and Cambie for takeout. Had the calamari dinner (not a good choice for takeout) and it was good, but don't know if it is "authentic" as I have never been to Greece and am not sure what the food is supposed to taste like. While I was waiting for my order I was observing the staff and the service seemed really good. Have also tried the new Maria's on Denman (just okay) and Stepho's (double yuck). Am also curious to know where to get the good stuff.

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

Subtle note to those trying to snub the overpopular Stephos by going next door to Taki's. While it may seem you're rooting for the underdog, rumour has it that it's the same owner owns both! Crazy, but true.

The Ouzeri has always been quite good and dependable for me, I eat at Minerva's every single day for lunch, as well. Chicken souvlaki on pita. The pita is so perfectly cooked, with a little olive oil. 6bucks I think.

I'm no expert on the restaurant industry, but I know a thing or two about drug abuse ...

-Daddy-A (Kitchen Troll)

There's a small Greek place in Steveston village (Richmond) called Kisamos that's packed all the time. I haven't been to any of the places mentioned in this thread except for Stepho's so I can't say how it compares. I like lamb and orzo at Kisamos--portions are big, and the food is better than any of the other 2 or 3 Greek restaurants in Steveston village. Haven't eaten there in a year or so though.

Great Greek!

It is easy...make the drive to the North Shore and the bottom of Lonsdale...I do not know the name of the restaurant...but the owners son's name is Theo and he is so obnoxious and fun and he makes the whole experience great. Used car salesman could learn a few tricks from this kid...but the food is GREAT and EUTHENTIC!

To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art La Rochefoucauld

I will second Kalamata and Marias.

I would also recommend that little place on Fir and Second, near Granville Island, near the cycling place. Can't think of the name right this second, but it is very good.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

I would also recommend that little place on Fir and Second, near Granville Island, near the cycling place. Can't think of the name right this second, but it is very good.

I think you're talking about Apollonia. They've recently remodelled, so I think perhaps a visit is due for wife & I.

Arne

I think you're talking about Apollonia. They've recently remodelled, so I think perhaps a visit is due for wife & I.

Arne

No expert on Greek Cuisine, but love Apollonia for the neighbourhood restaurant feel. And I have probably only once had a meal that I was not 100% happy with there..

< Linda >

Yes, Appolonia, Thank you !

Great "family run" feel-lots of locals. I have been a few times for lunch with my three year old-he loves the calamari, I love the skordalia and tarmosalata. The only thing that wasn't top notch that I tried was the dolmathes.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

It is easy...make the drive to the North Shore and the bottom of Lonsdale...

I haven't been in many years, but my family celebrated several special occassions at Anatoli Souvlaki. It was usually my choice for my birthday. Pasparos Taverna which is on 3rd St. and just off Lonsdale also used to be quite good.

• 1 month later...

best Greek in town is Taki's (not, horrors, absolutley not owned by Stephos), Maria's on 4th, and The Main on Main St @ about 27th. Harry and Thea Priniakis used to own Apollonia so if you remember their great food, you know where to find them. live music on weekend is a bonus. Alexis on Broadway does lovely brizoles.

Pasparos has had the same owners for about 30 year haven't been there lately though.