• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Greek Food in Vancouver (merged)

frogprincess

I am curious were do you all go for good Greek food??

I have been to a few places locally and some of them have been good but not great. The best Greek food so far was at a family friends house, when “the grandma” cooked dinner for us all or the spanakopita my mom makes.

-Mad Greek in Richmond- Just okay.

-Mr. Sport in Richmond- Good but not primarily a Greek restaurant.

I could name a few others but rather see what you all recommend.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

One place I tried a couple weeks ago that I had been hearing great reviews about the food and the atmosphere that includes belly dancers or should I say dancer was Taverna Gorgona in Ladner. Unfortunately I wasn’t too impressed and neither way my friend. Maybe it was because of what we ordered but we ended up with a huge doggie bag that was left at the restaurant. My first impression of the restaurant was great, nicely decorated in blue and white with vines and lights hanging from the ceiling throughout the restaurant. The patio won a few awards featuring a waterfall an ad gazebo, it seems like it would be nice place to relax in the summer time and enjoy a glass of oozo.

The service was friendly and quick and the owner was sitting down with regulars and making stops to check on each table. A belly dancer came out around 8:30 for about 20min, getting customers to get up and dance with her.

Now the food:

cheese.JPGdip.JPG

- Saganaki- Kefalotiri cheese pan-fried with lemon. This was my favourite item of the night, prefect when drizzled with a healthy amount of fresh lemon. We also order a bottle of Goast Do Roam Red Wine.

-Bread and 3 kinds of Dip (included in our platter)- Tzatziki, Homus and Taramasalada, all the dips tasted as if they were made fresh and not store bought which was nice. The Homus had a lot of garlic in it, which I didn’t mind since I love garlic but I would have, prefer if they used thinner pita bread, the thick slices of bread took away from the dips.

salad.JPGplater.JPG

- Greek Salad: Nothing special just normal Greek salad.

- The Gorgona Platter: Let me start off by saying it’s big enough to feed 3 to 4 adults. Roast Lamb, Calamari, Keftades, Spanakopita and Salmon all piled onto one dish with rice and roast potatoes. I personally think what ruined this dish was how they piled everything together which lead to the calamari being soggy as well as the spanakopita which usually one of my favourite items. The salmon was hidden under everything which is maybe why it ended up over cooked, the keftades were half good with just the right amount of parsley but the other two were charred and crisp, and the lamb was tender but lacking flavour.

**Unrelated but here is a picture when tossing everything on one plate is a good thing. Gladstone's of Malibu Fried Fisherman’s Platter $23.95usd: Coconut Shrimp, Shrimp, Scallops, Calamari, Clams and Fresh Fish ALL FRIED, ahh the memories lol.

Gladestones1.JPG

dessert.JPG

- Complimentary order of ekmek (A layered custard cake): They didn’t have much of a dessert selection with only two other items on the menu Baklva and Ice Cream. I enjoyed the Ekmek, it was too sweet which was a good ended to the meal.

After telling the people that recommended the restaurant about my experience they all seemed surprised. I know taste is a very individual thing but I plan on giving it another shot, but this time I will order something safer like the Souvalaki

Edited by D90 (log)

The long and short of the linked threads is that there really is no great Greek food in Vancouver today. There is a great deal of very mediocre Greek food and some fine slow-cooked lamb...and that is it.

If any of you have followed the career of that old pirate Arastides Pasparakis (formerly of Orestes on Broadway) - you will be aware of the developments in the Greek food scene in Athens in particular - but also elsewhere in Greece - and even in Istanbul.

We were recently in a restaurant in Athens called "Maritsas" which has been a popular spot among the cool Kolonaki set (a bit like our Yaletown set) for years. It serves only classic Greek food, but prepared with imagination and great care and it is absolutely stunning.

Great market niche in Vancouver. And Arastides would be happy to consult on the menu!

Having recently eaten at Maria's on denman and taki's on davie, I was rather impressed with taki's and really left wondering why anyone would wait in line for 30-60 minutes to eat at stephos.

I had the roast lamb and was surprised by the size of the portion, which was massive to the point of being ridiculous. Considering it was only $12.50, I can't imagine the quantity/value argument from the stephos crowd can carry any weight.

Both hot and cold appetizer platters were good, and I found it to be one of the better greek meals I've had in town.

Maria's lamb was drier when I had it which was disappointing considering how much I had heard about them. But then again, this was the denman location and most of the praise was about the one on 4th.

Still, I liked my meal a lot at taki's and plan on returning. Though when it comes to lamb in general, my favourite has got to be the afghan horseman. The potato pakoras and eggplant there are also killer, so well worth the higher price of admission.

There was a place I went to a couple of times in the '90s, off Kingsway in Burnaby, not too far from the Edmonds skytrain station. It was in a big old house I think, and it seemed pretty good.

Perhaps it was:

My last visit to Minoas (in Burnaby, on Kingsway right?) was all right; mind you, that was a couple of years back now.
?

Went there a very, very long time ago, therefore I don't remember the details, but I remember the locale.

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

I'm partial to the spanakopita some naked dude sells on Wreck Beach.  Not sure where it comes from, aside from his declaration, "Spanakopita, fresh from the greek deli!"

Good stuff my friends, good stuff.

There's a Greek deli on Commercial Drive, southeast of 1st; they make fresh baked spanakopita, as well as cheese only ones or lentil ones, (all delicious), and the baked sweets (baklava, etc.) Also all the cold deli stuff and the bottled oils, olives, etc....... great place.

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

• 10 months later...

While having dinner tonight, my partner in crime and I were discussing Greek.

After being disappointed by the ones on Commercial Dr and the West End this past year, I'm reaching out for help.

Has anyone had good Greek in the last year? Are the ones way down in Kits still the way to go?

Edited by makanmakan (log)

Quentina

Canucklehead: Heh, no resemblance to Stepho's is a good, good thing!

Sam: We've tried the Maria's on Denman and was disappointed, but will try the other one.

Annanstee: Noted, thank you.

Little Frog: Forgot about Anatoli! We were there for a staff Xmas party a couple of years ago and it was pretty good! Will go back again.....when we venture over the bridge :raz:

Thanks, guys!

Quentina

Is there anything in Vancouver similar to the fish taverna's I remember from Montreal's Park Ave or Avenue de Parc or is it Robert Bourassa?....during my "mispent youth"...cannot keep up with Quebec linguistic politics?

I remember good basic meals from the Symposium or Dionysus etc. Milos is currently the "big name" with varying reviews.

What I am looking for is fresh fish grilled over charcoal seasoned with olive oil and lemon.

Most of the Greek restaurants here in Edmonton tend to be the traditional "western Canadian take" on Greek...souvlaki, lamb shoulder, dolmathes, keftedes, spanokopita, saganaki etc...essentially what you see on Food TV's "Family Restaurant". Hoping that the coast will have more on offer.

Am out in early March and any suggestions would be appreciated.

Is there anything in Vancouver similar to the fish taverna's I remember from Montreal's Park Ave or Avenue de Parc or is it Robert Bourassa?

What I am looking for is fresh fish grilled over charcoal seasoned with olive oil and lemon.

If Vancouver has anything like this, I want to hear about it too!

Cheers,

Anne

That reminds me of one of my favourite dishes in the Costa Del Sol.

Fresh sardines, skewered onto sticks and grilled over a small charcoal fire, a squeeze of lemon and a sprinkling of salt just before being whisked to our table. :wub:

Quentina

merlin,

if you have read any of the threads on Vancouver dining, you will notice a lack of decent Greek food. There is nothing here (everyone correct me if I'm wrong!) that compares with A) Greece, B) Greek food found in Montreal/even Toronto, try some of our other amazing ethnic food or prepare to be sad about your choices. There is the famous place on Davie downtown, they ALWAYS have a line-up mostly because people consider it cheap - all the rice and potatoes you can fit in! It is called Stephos, I went once, never been back. The other place that has a reputation is The Main and I've been there a few times, it has a pub like atmosphere and on weekends live music. The owner is (I think) the most authentic Greek in town), he is known by many and used to have a pretty good spot in another location. His place has a decent reputation, but I believe it is standard west-coast Canadianized Greek.

If you need any details on where to eat (not Greek) let us know.

makanmakan:

Your comment about the Costa Del Sol reminds me of honeymooning in Portugal. Part of the time we were in Lagos in the Algarve. I can still "smell" those sardines being grilled streetside just off the wharf in little hibatchi's. Served just as described.

Sushicat:

That is what I had thought given this thread and others. Too bad. I sure wish there was a place to find simple grilled fish even if not Greek.

My wife and I are heading out to celebrate a friend's 50th birthday so our first night will be at the Atlantic Trap and Grill in Yaletown. Not my choice but a bunch of us used to live in the Maritimes before heading West in search of fame and fortune...they did...I got debt [smile]....it should be a good "shaker" ..."some good" as they would say [grin]

Once I recover from the inevitable hangover that comes from drinking too much dark rum and Moosehead Ale we will be thinking about eating lunch and supper on Saturday and Sunday before heading over to Victoria for a few more days.

We thoroughly enjoyed West, Cin Cin, Joe Fortes, Rain City Grill and Cru during our most recent visits. We usually end up in the North Shore with the same folks who are hosting the birthday party so have been to Gusto Corsi, La Regalade, Beachside when it was open and The Beach House at Dundarave Pier.

This visit I think we would prefer to stay around where we are. We have never tried the Bins nor the Guu's, Hapa Itzakaya and the like but my wife is not particularly adventuresome when it comes to food.

Any suggestions for the area around Seymour and West Hastings? We are staying at the Delta Suites in that area.

Edited by merlin (log)

i've lived in kits for 20+ years and am surprised that no one on this thread has mentioned Kerkis on W. 4th & Dunbar or Olympia on W. Broadway, next to Minerva's.

both places serve great food and are family restaurants, but the biggest difference is the service. though Olympia gets a vote for its homemade pizzas, i have never had worse service at a restaurant (one of those nightmarish stories of bussing your own table and the non-existant server)...very possibly a one-off but i still haven't been back.

instead, Kerkis has been satisfying my greek cravings. also, their lunch menu is extremely reasonable for the amount and quality of food. my personal favourites are the chicken liver appies and their lamb souvlaki. the atmosphere is much livelier than the aforementioned, especially if you choose to sit at their appetizer/tasting bar. Kerkis is located where Lorenzo's used to be and offer plenty of free underground parking (bonus!).

yummy yummy yummy....

Merlin,

I would definately check out the Izakaya food in Vancouver, lots of fun things that are grilled, maybe a fish, but more likely squid or other seafood. Definately fun.

In the hood of Seymour and Hastings ... my favourite spot around there is a Japanese noodle house on Howe near Pender, can't remember the name ... anyway, you are in downtown core, so you can really go anywhere.

I was in Greece not so long ago and found that Canadians do greek better than the Greeks....! Okok , thats not true, i havent even been to greece....! I am exhausted, but thoroughly proud of myself for hanging my plasma on the wall... hopefully it wont fall...?

Anyway, I always ate at Ouseri.. the lady that works there is totally awesome and calls me Sugar...!

xoxo

Josh.

I like that place on 2nd and Fir- is it Athena?

ETA, no Appolonia.

I second Apollonia! We go there on a regular basis. Saganaki (fried cheese) is a must have -- hot fried cheese with a crispy crust and a squeeze of lemon -- I can eat this everyday (almost)! Actually, the family, Harry & Thea, that currently runs The Main used to own Appollonia before moving to Main St. They ran both locations for awhile before turning over Apollonia about 2-3 yrs ago, but things haven't changed much and the food is just as good as before.

(Story time!) Dad liked eating at Apollonia so much that he asked Harry to cater his 50th birthday and also a corporate party the next year. They did an awesome suckling pig on a spit at one party and a kid goat at the other. Fun times indeed! (end story time).

Stephos -- 2 thumbs waaaaay down! I went there once (by force, not by choice!) and it was beyond disappointing. Sure, it's easy on the wallet -- but why bother to pay anything for cheap bad food, and then go back again for more cheap & still bad food???