• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Frightfully freaky fruit

gallery_28691_4819_316291.jpg

gallery_28691_4819_194204.jpg

I bought these in an Asian market (Battambang in Lowell, MA) that also sells a number of Latin American items, so I don't know which this is. It was under a sign marked "green beans" and priced only as "fruit."

For size reference, they're about the size of cherries. The little bag there was tucked into the package -- I thought it was chile salt, but I don't taste any chile in it.

The fruits, whatever they are, are tart and astringent, which a texture like an apple or crabapple.

Anyone?

I'm guessing they're high in pectin, so I'm tempted to make a jelly. I'd candy them, even, but I haven't had any luck in candying apples or quinces -- I don't like the texture they take on.

(The same market also sold fresh dragonfruit, frozen mangosteens, frozen custard apples, and frozen rambutans; I bought the first two and am in heaven.)

It also may be some sort of Sorbus (Mountain Ash) species, some have quite large fruits. Here in Turkey they generally are bletted like medlars - i.e. they are allowed to go overripe and mushy, at which point the astringency disappears.

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

To me it looks like a "pocket melon." They were once widely grown in Europe for their fragrance and would be carried in pockets of fine ladies who did not bathe very often. It's often grown in SW Turkey and brought into the house to perfume the room. They generally are not very tasty at all.

There's something kind of sublime about people who would think it's easier to carry around a melon than to bathe! You'd have to be really afraid of the water, I guess.

It doesn't look like the Korean melon "chamwe" that are so popular in Asia. Chamwe are more oblong than the one pictured.

• 3 months later...

I decided to bump this topic up after receiving an email earlier today with this link from a small foodie email group to which I belong. Thanks NikkiS!

I have heard of a lot of weird fruits but have never come across this one which to me is indeed, totally freaky. Even the flowers are freaky.

Jabuticaba the Brazilian Grape Tree

Has anyone ever seen this fruit?

I wonder if anyone in the U.S. has tried growing these trees.

That is THE most amazing fruit bearing tree, Andie. Mind blowing.

Yesterday in the Superstore (Peterborough, ON, Loblaws) I saw for the first time a whole counter full of exotic fruit. Bought them all: paid enough. I see that the earlier photos of the dragon fruit are no longer available in this thread so here goes.

P1030002.JPG Delicious.

Also bought a guava, two different kinds of passionfruit, two tamarinds,and a tamarillo and a granadilla. Great fun!

I really want to taste a Durian.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

What did you think of the tamarillo?

Just cut it open and ate some. Is it an acquired taste? Sort of astringent. Lots of seeds. Not sweet. Tell me about tamarillos and why people love them. Thanks.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 4 years later...

Just had a prickly pear fruit for the first time yesterday. It was a disappointment. Nice flavour, but - bleccch! - all those hard little seeds, nearly cracked a tooth on one.  I can see how it would have made a good juice or puree with the seeds strained out, but eating out of hand - no thanks.

I think this falls into the freaky class. I picked it up this morning.

horned.jpg

African Horned Melon

The African Horned Melon (Cucumis Metuliferus). To my amusement, it came accompanied by a sachet of honey, a drinking straw and a set of instructions. The pulp is somewhat tart, hence the honey. They suggest opening it by standing it upright and slicing off its top, like a soft boiled egg, dribbling in the honey and sucking out the pulp and honey together.

Being perverse, I cut it laterally to get a better look inside.

hm2.jpg

While it looks interesting, I was impressed by the taste. Sort of like a slightly tart but otherwise flavourless cucumber. Not fruity in any sense I recognise. I didn't use the honey. Or the straw.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

While it looks interesting, I was impressed by the taste. Sort of like a slightly tart but otherwise flavourless cucumber. Not fruity in any sense I recognise. I didn't use the honey. Or the straw.

Of course, I meant unimpressed. Sorry.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Just came across this old, but fascinating thread.

Thought I'd add that dragon fruit / pitaya also comes in a red fleshed variety.

We get the red fleshed kind here. Looks better than the bland taste IMO

It's almost never bad to feed someone.