• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Krispy Kreme's or Dunkin' Donuts?

Phatlouie07

Doughnut Plant. Light years ahead of both of them.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

I like any donut that is super-fresh -- like just out of the fryer. Does anyone know how to get really fresh DD donuts?

So far I've only been able to get the still warm and pillowy soft, right-off-the-conveyor-belt donuts at KK.

But no matter how fresh, no cake donuts for me. Yeasty ones all the way!

I like KK, but they are very sweet glazed. The apple filled with crumbs is my current fav, followed by the lemon filled. In DD I like the coffee roll, if it is adequately filled with cinnamon. The Donut Plant was a big disappointment. I find those doughnuts to be tough, aven when fresh.

If they were all lined up in a row I'd pass them all to go to Beard Papa for a cream puff.

Better yet, there's a place in Jersey we always just called the Apple Farm. Haven't been there in years, but their apple cider doughnuts sure hit the apot with a cup of joe.

I'm with Tryska on the apple fritters from Wegman's. What I really wish for is to have Top Pot (from seattle) opena few east coast outlets. Those are doughnuts. The best one I get are at the local farmer's market on Saturday mornigns - straight from the fryer - plain or dunked in cinnamon sugar only but they are still warm and sooooo good.

I prefer KK when they're piping hot. However, I will admit to a weakness for DD's chocolate cream donuts. There's something about getting covered in that fine powdered sugar and the chocolate filling.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Better yet, there's a place in Jersey we always just called the Apple Farm. Haven't been there in years, but their apple cider doughnuts sure hit the apot with a cup of joe.

Is it in Livingston? If so, it's Nettie Ochs, and an ex-bf of mine used to LOVE those donuts. I, on the other hand, would get one of their freshly made individual apple pies-YUM!! I still drive out there to buy Winesaps when they come in late in the fall. And their cider ROCKS. :wub:

If this isn't the place you're talking about, tell us where 'yours' is!!

And although I respect those who love donuts, I have to share something a friend once said: "When have you EVER eaten a donut and thought, 'Gee, I'm glad I ate that!' ???" I must admit that I concur--donuts just don't do it for me.

Go ahead, adegiulio...tell me I'm a freak. Again. :raz:

Edited by Curlz (log)

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Hi,

I like KK when they are hot, and hot only. BTW - there is a KK in Brick, NJ! YUM

Otherwise I like DD. They are good, but we had some AMAZING mini donuts in Seattle at the marketplace. OHHHH they were good, the best i ever had.

Kristen

And although I respect those who love donuts, I have to share something a friend once said: "When have you EVER eaten a donut and thought, 'Gee, I'm glad I ate that!' ???" I must admit that I concur--donuts just don't do it for me.

I have to concur with Curlz. I stopped eating donuts years ago. I could never eat just one (like another popular food we all know) and it just felt like unjustified calories to me because they go down so quick.

I still have a hankering for the Entenmann's Chocolate Covered Donut every now and again... :smile:

"I can resist everything except temptation." Oscar Wilde

Krispy Kreme!!!!! Although I don't dislike Dunkin' Donuts, and DD does seem to have more variety, KK is the grand champion. And they just opened one less than five miles from where I live - and the drive thru is open 24 hours!!!! God loves me. (Or hates me since I really need to get into shape. Hmmmm.)

-Greg

for some reason I find they way they smell offputting -- like rancid fat and sugar.

Exactly. I grew up with Krispy Kremes available to me and have never understood either the attraction or the hype. Give me a fresh cake DD anytime.

:smile:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

"When have you EVER eaten a donut and thought, 'Gee, I'm glad I ate that!' ???" I must admit that I concur--donuts just don't do it for me.

Curlz, I am with you 100% on that. Immediately after finishing a donut, I am filled with self-loathing and shame. Driven by despair, I usually go to look for a whip with which to self-flagellate.

All regret and repentance are forgotten, however, the very next instance someone offers me a donut.

• 3 years later...

Some recent news about Krispy Kreme and what's going on in my town led me to search for this old topic.

I knew Krispy Kreme's rapid expansion was doomed to begin with. Just because people spent hours lining up for Krispy Kreme to open in their city, didn't mean that they would want them on every corner. The "mystique" of Krispy Kreme donuts was ruined when you could get them anytime, anywhere in major cities across America.

I live in Columbia, SC - not too far from KK's Winston-Salem beginnings. The original KK here closed down when I was I little kid in the early 80's. We had 3 "Mr. Donut"s then as well - all of which became Dunkin franchises.

In 1993, a new KK opened. It still does well, but it is still the ONLY Krispy Kreme for a metro area of 500,000. When KK expanded out of the South, they ignored their home territory. If they couldn't succeed here, what made them think they could succeed elsewhere?

We still have the 1 KK and 3 Dunkin Donuts. Now, 30 Dunkin franchises are planned across town (the Columbia metro area is called "The Midlands"). Yes, 30! I could see 4 or 5, but now they're getting a little ambitious.

http://www.thestate.com/business/story/322045.html

Some recent news about Krispy Kreme and what's going on in my town led me to search for this old topic.

I knew Krispy Kreme's rapid expansion was doomed to begin with.  Just because people spent hours lining up for Krispy Kreme to open in their city, didn't mean that they would want them on every corner.  The "mystique" of Krispy Kreme donuts was ruined when you could get them anytime, anywhere in major cities across America.

I live in Columbia, SC - not too far from KK's Winston-Salem beginnings.  The original KK here closed down when I was I little kid in the early 80's.  We had 3 "Mr. Donut"s then as well - all of which became Dunkin franchises. 

In 1993, a new KK opened.  It still does well, but it is still the ONLY Krispy Kreme for a metro area of 500,000.  When KK expanded out of the South, they ignored their home territory.  If they couldn't succeed here, what made them think they could succeed elsewhere? 

We still have the 1 KK and 3 Dunkin Donuts.  Now, 30 Dunkin franchises are planned across town (the Columbia metro area is called "The Midlands").  Yes, 30!  I could see 4 or 5, but now they're getting a little ambitious. 

http://www.thestate.com/business/story/322045.html

Thanks for that story. DD is making a big push into the Dallas area right now. There are TWO of them that just opened that are pretty close to my home. But they aren't going after KK. Really, it isn't even about donuts. It's all about coffee and going after Starbucks now.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"