• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A week in Paris

vivin

Hi everyone, I'm reluctant to start a new thread about this, so if I may, I'll ask a question here: a very good friend of mine is bringing his girlfriend to Paris in a few weeks for her 30th birthday. He asked me if I could find some information on places to eat in the 14th arrondissement, where they're staying. They're not serious foodies (which is why he asked my advice!), which is also why he'd prefer places near where they're staying. I've checked quite a few threads here, looking for information, but most of the things I've found out about the 14th was about places to be avoided (L'Auberge for example) rather than places that should be visited (like La Regalade). Does anyone have any up-to-date recommendations? I apologise for the limited criteria, but it's just a few recommendations to fill up a weekend's worth of evening meals. I have suggested somewhere like L'Atelier Joel Robuchon of course, just in case...

Actually, please disregard that last post: my friend has just informed me that he's thinking of staying more centrally based on other recommendations he has received, purely for logistical reasons.

So, now it's easy: your preferred central-ish restaurants where you can get decent food without crazy money, for people who like to eat out without being serious foodies? Two or three suggestions is fine, this won't be a culinary highlights trip, more a "we need to eat, so let's eat nicely" kind of thing. Would the area around Les Halles still be worth concentrating on (if it ever was?)?

There is an old topic on the Les Halles area that largely discusses Pied de Cochon and that should be updated to indicate the reopening of Pharamond which is pricey (and which I re-visited in December 2006) and for non-food fanatics, not worth it.

Pharamond

24, rue de la Grande Truanderie, 1st (Metro: Les Halles, Etienne Marcel)

T: 01.40.28.45.18

Closed Sundays and Mondays

A la carte 40-80 €.

Let me repeat what I've said many times before, though. Even though your friends may be staying "centrally" almost any place is reachable by Metro in 20-30 minutes.

Thus a quick glance at prior topics on say the last 3 pages should give you/them some great ideas.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris