• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Outdoor Dining

sgschef

...course right now it is pouring like crazy and thundering and lightning so you may want to rethink that

Just heard on the news that a woman in Warren or Sussex was struck by lightning this afternoon...sure hope it wasn't you, Suzilightning!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Went to Raymond's today in Montclair on Church St.

Sat outside at a sidewalk table, it was about 12:30.

Food was decent enough. I had pancakes with the accompanied fruit salad and an OJ. My wife had an eggwhite spinich omlette, and claimed that it was pretty good.

Didn't really try anything out of the ordinary, but the service was attentive, and the food hit the spot.

My only complaint was the disorganization of the hostesses. They weren't too organized with the small number of people waiting for tables. They had trouble keeping track of who arrived in what order, and who wanted to sit outside vs inside. Other than that, I was pleased. Another gorgeous day! :smile:

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Also add Lalezar, Montclair --

This is the Turkish restaurant at 720 Bloomfield Ave., just down from the Art Museum, opposite the Whole Foods.

As of today, they have 7 brand spanking new sidewalk tables.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

This is the Turkish restaurant at 720 Bloomfield Ave., just down from the Art Museum, opposite the Whole Foods.

Ghost--Have you (or anyone else) eaten here lately? The last few comments about the place were on the fence..

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Ghost--Have you (or anyone else) eaten here lately? The last few comments about the place were on the fence..

No I haven't. But on the strength of their appetizers & the sidewalk seating, I'd give them another try if I had the time & the wherewithal.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

Parkhills in Allenhurst (Just north of Asbury Park) have a nice patio that overlooks Deal Lake.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

On the list on the previous page, the only restaurant in Bergen County listed with outdoor tables is Wild Ginger in Englewood. This has 2 little uncomfortable tables on the street, something of an afterthought.

Out of the 500+ restaurants in Bergen, surely there is a big selection of places that can be on the list with outdoor dining!!

Rosie's already edited some into her list, like Assembly and (your favorite?) Cafe Angelique.

Hardly my favorite, but I do think it is a pleasant place for a salad, sandwich, and/or coffee and a sweet. (My favorite is a place that was hardly given recognition on Egullet, Relish of Sparkill, NY.

Some Bergen County "En plein air" additions:

Blue Moon, Englewood

Andiamo, Haworth

Latour, Ridgewood

Zarole, Ridgewood

Village Green, Ridgewood

Ho-Ho-Kus Inn, Ho-Ho-Kus

It's Greek to Me, Englewood and Ridgewood

Amarone, Teaneck

There's probably several more, but perhaps some fellow Bergenites can help out!

Also Church St. Cafe in Montclair, at the foot of Church just above Fullerton.

I've no idea what their food is like but looks like great ambiance.

A lot of Outdoor Dining in Ridgewood; please update the list, including the previous Bergen County additions...

Malee

Marcello's at the Station

Trattoria Fratelli

A & B Bakery & Cafe

Just 2 little tables outside, but I guess they do qualify also:

Pasta e Pollo

Gazelle

All these restos in Ridgewood.

There's lots of outdoor dining in jersey city including backyards. Some of the more unique spots include the Lightship Barge (on a boat) and the Liberty House, both in Liberty State Park. Marco & Pepe is great for people-watching as it's on a busy corner in the now very gentrified downtown area. One of the nicest backyards is at the Comfort Bistro where the seating is spacious and they hold events. The newly opened Rachel - serving wonderful organic mid-eastern (Israeli) food - will open their beautiful backyard soon.

edit to add: the newly opened Beechwood Cafe, opposite Marco & Pepe, just opened their sidewalk cafe and has plenty of tables. They give Marco & Pepe a run for their money and get my vote for "the best people watching outdoor cafe" in JC.

Edited by glenn (log)

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

I don't really have anything to add, but I just wanted to bring this topic back to the top, because it is summer, and it is time to discuss our favorite new and old outdoor dining establishments.

Wish I had an idea for right now...

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)