• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chambar

SBonner

Very quickly - Chef Fowke and I had this very discussion the other night.

When he was at Joe Fortes, he had a whole pastry dept that could make cakes for guests, not only providing a service, but also making a sale.

At the HSG, I let people bring cakes and do not charge a plating cost etc. Quite often , we would just cut and put it on a plate, no fancy presentation etc. I do not wish to get into the cake baking business so I do not present that as an alternative - go ahead, bring it.

I am assuming that most people are not thinking about screwing the restaurant over when they bring a cake, they are thinking of the occasion and the tradition of a cake that goes with it. Let them enjoy it and thank them for coming and thinking of your restaurant on this special occasion. If losing the sale is of that much of a concern, take that energy and seek out other cost cutting things you can do like making sure people only get one afterdinner mint or switching to single ply toiletpaper. It has become an acceptable practice in the industry, let it go. Not worth the debate.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

And I'm not fuc*ing singing... :biggrin:

:laugh::laugh:

I especially hate places where the staff get together to sing their own special rendition of Happy Birthday to the birthday boy/girl. Last time I checked, the tune did not include the lyrics "hey hey ho ho". Makes me want to poke my eyes out with a dessert fork!

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

I am assuming that most people are not thinking about screwing the restaurant over when they bring a cake, they are thinking of the occasion and the tradition of a cake that goes with it. Let them enjoy it and thank them for coming and thinking of your restaurant on this special occasion. If losing the sale is of that much of a concern, take that energy and seek out other cost cutting things you can do like making sure people only get one afterdinner mint or switching to single ply toiletpaper.

Aw, geez, Neil, you're right.

You can probably tell by the other thread that I have a "thing" about bringing cakes into restaurants. To be clear, I'm not really concerned about the restaurant losing a sale. It's more "the principal" of bringing your own food to a place where people create, love, and yes, sell food.

It has become an acceptable practice in the industry, let it go.

No-shows and sticking used gum under tables are acceptable practices to many people as well, so let's no try to change or.............aw, geez, Neil, you're right again, I just gotta lighten up and let it go. Bring in your dessert, your paper cup of McCoffee, your favourite beer, hell maybe even your own hangar steak for the boys to cook up. Thanks for coming.

It seems I only pipe up on this site when I'm cranky.

I am Sorry about that folks, I'll really try to behave myself and keep it Lite from now on.

Edited by eatbc (log)

hell maybe even your own hangar steak for the boys to cook up. Thanks for coming.

Now wait one gosh darned minute ! Them are fightin' words !

Neil supplys the hangar steak around these parts and don't you forget it !

I always have a laugh when people bring in crappy Safeway cakes and want to serve them to their friends. Yum. Edible oil product. Any leftovers and you can wax your car !

If you are going to go to the trouble of getting a cake, at least make it a good one.

And here is an example of someone trying to screw the restaurant over on a sale.

This is the type of thing that cause me to accept the futility of it and just give up because this was the person trying to cheap out.

"Can I make a reservation for Sat. night for 11 people ? "

"Sure, what time ?"

"7:00. Can I have seperate bills and what is the maximun number of entertanment cards if we all have seperate bills ?"

"No problem and three, no matter how the bill is divided !"

"Thank you."

Five minutes later,she calls back and asks what our policy is for cakes, and asked to clarify what I would not be charging them anything for cutting the cake. When I called to confirm the party on Sat. afternoon, again wanted clarification that there would be not cost for cutting the cake and to make sure they got the leftovers back. It is clear to me that they wanted to make sure I was not going to charge them etc. In my innermost self, I really get pissed at some people but have found that the rage is causing me to lose my hair so I try and let the anger go. It works sometimes. There is a large bare patch on the back of my head so it is not working all the time. I do believe that this party also had some hot water and lemon, but that is just another post !

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

As a friend of mine said to me on Sunday, while I was griping about someone squished beside me in the cattle call that is aka the Sun Run with their umbrella dripping a small waterfall down my back, ...."there will always be inconsiderate people out there, get used to it".

And I think that goes for this whole birthday cake scenario too. Customers are going to show up with all kinds of bizarre requests, their own food, their own wine (if they think they can get away with it), cheerios for the kiddies etc. I guess you could just give them the old heave ho when you witness one of these aberrations but undoubtedly that is probably not going to garner the best lasting impression. Better to slap on a smile and suck it up. Your graciousness will be remembered, especially by the birthday person.

Disclaimers.... "you" being the collective you, not anyone in particular.

Oh and waylman.... glad you had such a great meal at Chambar. I'm really looking forward to trying it myself in the not too distant future.

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Has there never been a liability case where in a restaurant has POISENED someone by serving a cake produced from an unknown/unprooven/unliscensed source that was brought into

the establishment by a patron?

My concern has always been about my liability.

I guess it's okay to bring in a pre-prepared food item. I should be OK

with that.

--what do the lawyers say?

Very quickly - Chef Fowke and I had this very discussion the other night.

When he was at Joe Fortes, he had a whole pastry dept that could make cakes for guests, not only providing a service, but also making a sale.

At the HSG, I let people bring cakes and do not charge a plating cost etc. Quite often , we would just cut and put it on a plate, no fancy presentation etc. I do not wish to get into the cake baking business so I do not present that as an alternative - go ahead, bring it.

I am assuming that most people are not thinking about screwing the restaurant over when they bring a cake, they are thinking of the occasion and the tradition of a cake that goes with it. Let them enjoy it and thank them for coming and thinking of your restaurant on this special occasion. If losing the sale is of that much of a concern, take that energy and seek out other cost cutting things you can do like making sure people only get one afterdinner mint or switching to single ply toiletpaper. It has become an acceptable practice in the industry, let it go. Not worth the debate.

I'll chime in to agree with Neil on his point of thanking people to think of a particular restaurant for a special occasion. I find that it happens (cake bringing) so rarely and people are so appreciative that it's a non issue.

Erik

Just a heads up - they moved the cake discussion to another thread - it got very lively.

Thanks for your input though. I must say that I said alot (though it got zapped :raz: ) but I really learned alot and the discussion gave me alot to think about on something that I had taken for granted.

Um ... does anybody have anything to say about Chambar?

I'm going for dinner there on Monday night :wink: and was wondering where to go for drinks afterwards in the neighbourhood?

the media club is close by....might be some live music there on monday.

• 3 months later...

I thought I'd add some thoughts since we were at Chambar last night. I had reserved two weeks ago, and I casually mentioned at that time that we were going out for an anniversary dinner (21 years!!). When we showed up last night, the greeter congratulated us on our anniversary then gave us a choice of tables: the quiet one in the front window, or one in the noisier back room. We chose the backroom and were given a fine table for two. We skipped drinks since we had stopped for some earlier and ordered a bottle of Blasted Church Pinot Noir. Our waiter asked us if we were in a hurry or we wanted to linger. That's a nice touch. More servers should ask that question.

Anyway, we split an order of those mussels Congoliese (too good), then split the asparagus salad, the filet mignon. and the fois gras. All were excellent, though my wife didn't like the salad as much as I did. For dessert I had the cheese plate and a glass of port while my wife had a Chambar coffee. The tall bald gentleman who made the rounds (the owner??), had stopped earlier in the night to talk about the wine. He came back during dessert to give us two complimentary glasses of port and congratulate us on our anniversary. Pretty damn classy.

So, all in all, it was a great experience and I was very impressed with the service as well as the food. Yeah, the backroom is noisy, but it is also beautiful. And if you want quiet there are lots of pretentious restaurants out there were you can hear every clink of a fork on a plate. Personally, I find that atmosphere stifling. I'd rather hear the noise of people having a good time. We sure had a good time.

So a big shout out to the Chambar for making our anniversary dinner special. The next time I have friends in from out of town I'm taking them there.

Paul B

The tall bald gentleman who made the rounds (the owner??), had stopped earlier in the night to talk about the wine. He came back during dessert to give us two complimentary glasses of port and congratulate us on our anniversary. Pretty damn classy.

That's the Mighty Quentin, who took over the GM pin from Andre (now ops manager for Feenies/Lumiere). Consummate host. Happy anniversary BTW. 21 years! :wub:

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Glad you had a great experience. Helen and I as well as two Torontonians were there last night and also had a great experience. Some new cocktails were available including the new and way too easy to drink "Tin Tin and Nashi Pear" made from pear infused Sake, pear juice, and Caramel liqueur . The venison was a big hit along with my duck with a sour cherry glaze and very tasty hazelnut mashed potatoes. Service was bar none with FOH manager Quentin treating us royally. My companions and I tried some amazing Belgium beers and a great bottle of Torbeck Muscat from Australia.

Great place!

Cheers,

Stephen

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

• 1 month later...

This week marks the one year anniversary of Chambar's opening. Michelle and I (plus the kids) were there tonight for an early dinner (new Ostrich main with hazelnut and arugula pesto gnocchi!) and a good climb on the Sherman tank up the road, and it got me thinking about what has contributed to their success.

How do you think Chambar took a questionable location and turned it into the Best New Restaurant of the Year?

Your thoughts and birthday wishes... :smile:

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

This week marks the one year anniversary of Chambar's opening. Michelle and I (plus the kids) were there tonight for an early dinner (new Ostrich main with hazelnut and arugula pesto gnocchi!) and a good climb on the Sherman tank up the road, and it got me thinking.

How did Chambar take a questionable location and turn it into the Best New Restaurant of the Year? 

Helen and I live 5 minutes away and according to my credit card I believe I have paid a few utility bills there and server wages :rolleyes: In truth I think the location was a blessing. It is a great space for a regionally focused restaurant much in the vien of the "cool Britannia" restaurants in past dodgy areas of Clerkenwell and Soho. The food, service, and drinks are on par wth top establishments and foodies will traverse the city, nation, and globe to eat.

Happy birthday to them.

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

This week marks the one year anniversary of Chambar's opening. Michelle and I (plus the kids) were there tonight for an early dinner (new Ostrich main with hazelnut and arugula pesto gnocchi!) and a good climb on the Sherman tank up the road, and it got me thinking about what has contributed to their success.

How do you think Chambar took a questionable location and turned it into the Best New Restaurant of the Year?  

It seems rather extrordinary, that just one year in, so much has been accompished by so few for so many. I'm sure I'm not alone in congratulating Karri and Nico for injecting spirit and spirited cooking into this tail of the town.

It also seems a long time ago that we ran this story about their ambitious business plan. But then restaurants age in dog years.

What I really congratulate them for though, is realizing their early shortcomings and reacting quickly and decisively. By bringing in Annette and Andre, to cure service issues that were the result of an early success, they not only survived, but found a way to stay in love, both with each other and us.

The next chapter, as they settle in for a long run off-Broadway, may well write itself. But not without the zealous enthusiasm they bring each day. In the face of other, more cynical openings this year, many thanks.

Jamie

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"