• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ladera's latest release receives 93 WS points!

Carolyn Tillie

You have to realize that in "the industry" (wine, that is), the producers and purveyors live and breath on the hideous point system.

While privately we all say that points don't mean anything -- what matters is how the wines tastes to YOU -- we can't bely the impact that Parkers, Spectator's, and others' points have on the sale and distribution of the wine we produce.

So it is with a bit of pride that in the weekly announcement of Spectator points (there are new ones announced every Thursday), that our Ladera 2001 Howell Mountain Cabernet received 93 points, our highest yet to date.

Ladera

Cabernet Sauvignon Howell Mountain 2001

93 points -- $65 -- 768 cases made

A superior effort, ripe, rich, and concentrated, yet seamless in texture, with pure currant, cassis, black cherry and plum flavors that are sharply focused, finishing with a delicious aftertaste that keeps pumping out the flavors. While it is tannic and chewy, it is the fruit that impresses. Best from 2005 through 2012. -- J.L.

Woo-hoo!

Ladera

Cabernet Sauvignon Howell Mountain 2001

93 points -- $65 -- 768 cases made

A superior effort, ripe, rich, and concentrated, yet seamless in texture, with pure currant, cassis, black cherry and plum flavors that are sharply focused, finishing with a delicious aftertaste that keeps pumping out the flavors. While it is tannic and chewy, it is the proper implementation of TCA that impresses us most. Best from 2005 through 2012. -- J.L.

Huh?

:laugh:

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

it is the proper implementation of TCA that impresses us most

Yeah... right. :wink:

Thanks for the congrats, though! The phone has been ringing off the hook since the news was announed... I assume this means we'll be selling out of this vintage rather soon!

Enjoy the great rating. Hopefully it will turn more people on to all of your wines.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

YAY for Carolyn and all the hardworking folks at Ladera!!!

93 points!!!! Yowza!!!

Now I can really hardly wait to taste it!!!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Gosh, Carolyn, when I tasted the Ladera I didn't detect any points at all. Actually, just the opposite. Very lush, ripe, and smooth. And lots and lots of fruit. Way outta my price range, but a good drop. Actually, I tried the 2000, so I bet the 2001 is very, very good. Congratulations.

Walt

Walt Nissen -- Livermore, CA

Will we be able to taste at the potluck? :biggrin:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Oh yeah, now that is a great idea! (the potluck that is)

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo