• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

left over egg whites

frogprincess

I use mine to make dacquois and freeze those for later use.  They appear in desserts regularly in my house.

I second the dacquois idea. I made some Hazelnut Dacquoise (based on a Pierre Hermé recipe) that won a holiday cookie contest in my neighborhood. I think the texture is actually improved if they are frozen first and then carefully thawed before serving.

You can also freeze them in ice cube trays for easy use later. 1 egg white ~= 30g.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Thank you so much.

To be truly frank, I'd never heard of freezing egg whites until I became an eGulleteer and have read it now in quite a few threads.

Can thawed whites be used in any recipe or does freezing change their chemical makeup somehow? Are they better in some recipes than others?

Thank you so much.

To be truly frank, I'd never heard of freezing egg whites until I became an eGulleteer and have read it now in quite a few threads.

Can thawed whites be used in any recipe or does freezing change their chemical makeup somehow? Are they better in some recipes than others?

They can be used in any recipe. I have used them in chiffon cakes, making royal icing, financiers, and it turns about great. HOwever, remember that the vessel in which they are frozen is free from grease. I also remove the chalaza before freezing.

"I'll just die if I don't get this recipe."

I use mine to make dacquois and freeze those for later use.  They appear in desserts regularly in my house.

I second the dacquois idea. I made some Hazelnut Dacquoise (based on a Pierre Hermé recipe) that won a holiday cookie contest in my neighborhood. I think the texture is actually improved if they are frozen first and then carefully thawed before serving.

You can also freeze them in ice cube trays for easy use later. 1 egg white ~= 30g.

They work fine for pavlova. :-)

Chalaza...every once in a while I remember that stringy thing has a name but can never get past what a breakfast customer used to call it...

"and take that 'Hootiwooger' thing off my egg before you cook it."

So um yeah freeze the egg whites

T

• Haha 1

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association