• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spaghetti and Meatballs

SobaAddict70

Since spaghetti and meatballs is a totally American-Italian thing, I figure it makes sense to go the American-Italian direction. This means a long cooked Am-It style sauce (see here), plenty of meatballs (beef, pork, veal, bread crumbs, parsley, garlic, onion, egg -- lightly browned and briefly simmered in the sauce, served on the side), maybe a braciole or two. Spaghetti, never fresh pasta.

--

I Am not much for meatballs, I prefer the meat ground up in the sauce instead.

I love tons of mushrooms, peppers, garlic, rosemary, and onion in my sauce. When I make a red sauce it is almost a deep maroon in color from all the veggies, but so flavorful and thick, for my tastes it can't be beat.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

DAMN YOU SOBA..... now i am craving spaghetti and meatballs

rice pasta

meatballs are beef and pork with stale bread soaked in milk then wrung out, dried herbs

sauce is from canned tomatoes (unless like now you can get really ripe plums, cherries and heirlooms, with garlic, onion, red wine and herbs snipped from the containers on the back porch/windowsill

parmegano reggiano and asiago mixed

wine - winter; beer - summer

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

ok, I knew it was for something as elementary as that. :wink:

I also faintly recall seeing parsley (or something green) in the sauce at one point, some place. It was the first time I had seen anything like it and made me do a double take.

I've never had walnut sized meatballs. Most of the ones in my experience range from golf ball size to LION'S HEAD meatball sized ones.

Soba

I've found that the smaller sized meatballs are not only a bit easier to handle in the skillet (don't break apart as much) but are tasty, browned nuggets that aren't overwhelming hunks o' ground meat, which I don't care for.

Just a note, I don't use the bread as a filler, it really DOES add the needed moisture that ground turkey breast requires to even be palatable in meatball form.

I certainly wish that I could make the meatballs that my 100% Italian grandmother made! Pork, beef or veal...oh the culinary compromises I make to please my german-dutch husband! Well...I GUESS turkey is more healthy, but that's not why he prefers it. "Cleaner" flavor is what he says. :rolleyes: As in Windex, honey? Ah well, each to their own.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Does everyone prefer sauce ladled on top of their pasta (or served on the side)? On a few occasions, I have been served spaghetti where sauce and meatballs were all mixed together. There I was -- all sauced up on the platter with meatballs and cheese all over me! :wacko:

Or is this just all wrong?

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

My favorite recipe for spaghetti and meatballs was inspired by this Mario Batali recipe. The key is the nuts. I wouldn't have thought to add nuts on my own. Since I'm constitutionally incapable of following directions mine are a little bit different. Plus I prefer less filler and ground walnuts to pine nuts (although this began as an economic decision). All portions are approximate because I'm capable, but unwilling to measure anything.

3 slices of bread soaked in milk (I usually use multigrain, crusts and all.)

a pound of ground beef

5-7 cloves garlic

1/4 cup toasted, ground walnuts (1/4 cup after grinding)

1/2 cup parmesan, aged pecorino, asiago, or other sharp, hard, grating cheese you have on hand

2 eggs

lots of finely chopped parsley

salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste

Mix all ingredients together and form into walnut sized meatballs (Thanks, petite tete, for the perfect description for the size. I, again, would not have thought of nuts in this case) I like to salt and pepper the outside of the balls. Then I sautee them in a little olive oil over medium high heat until most of the ball is browned. Until last week I would have agreed with slkinsey that since spaghetti and meatballs is the epitome of Italian-American a long-simmered red sauce with onions, garlic, "Italian seasoning", canned tomatoes, and red wine is perfect, but do to my recent household fresh, homegrown tomato infestation I made sort of a quick-cook fresh marinara and it was delicious. The sauce had the clinged much better to the meatballs and the pasta than the long-cooked, saucy sauce. Anyway, for my quick sauce I'll blender up some garlic, basil, parsley, and tomato flesh and toss it in the hot pan with the meatballs. If the tomatoes aren't very juicy I'll deglaze the pan with some wine first. I add the cooked spaghetti to the meatball+sauce pan to coat the noodles. I do, of course, reserve several meatballs for meatball sandwiches the next day. On a side note, if I am making meatballs solely for the purpose of meatball sandwiches I will use less or no binder (eggs and bread), but keep the nuts. The ground walnuts give the meatballs a slightly sweet, aromatic quality that is a little different and very good.

2 cans crushed tomotoes, 1 can paste, one onion, garlic, green pepper, carrots (for sweetness) simmer add Market meatloaf formed into meatballs, sausage cut up , Spaghettini, grated cheese and the one you love + a little wine and dessert; What could be better. :wink:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Dried pasta definitely, and I prefer Linguini myself - prefer the slight extra 'bite' you get over spaghetti.

I like a mixture of pork and beef mince, sometimes some finely chopped bacon along with grated parmesan/pecorino, breadcrumbs, and I also like a grating of nutmeg.

The sauce - basic tomato sauce, made in the pan I browned the meatballs in. I always use lots of garlic and a spoonful or two of crushed dried chillis.

This is one pasta dish I think requires copious amounts od parmesan on top, and also one where a lot of sauce is required, no lightly dressing the pasta here!

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Does everyone prefer sauce ladled on top of their pasta (or served on the side)? On a few occasions, I have been served spaghetti where sauce and meatballs were all mixed together. There I was -- all sauced up on the platter with meatballs and cheese all over me! :wacko:

Or is this just all wrong?

Ladled on top - definitely. I like to twirl the strands of pasta onto the fork and get the sauce onto it in the process. Then of course there is the visual contrast of the red sauce against the background of the creamy pasta - very nice. I did jhave mien last night as planned but need a larger bowl - of that I'm certain - it did get all over me :rolleyes:

Spagetti and meatballs...is also something that is fun and 'educational' to make with your kids.

Not to mention that this is one instance where they truly can be very helpful even if they are quite young, as the mechanics are simple and the supervision level low.

As you are standing there making the sauce and chopping anything that needs chopping, just give out directions like 'Get the big bowl, etc etc'...and so on, through the entire process of having them make the meatballs. The only time they may need assistance is with cracking the egg...

It keeps them busy and they LOVE shaping the meatballs. I have them put the finished product on sheetpans....in this house it is neccesary to have two separate ones so brother and sister who are only a year and a half apart in age don't fight over space...! Then we bake them lightly in the oven before popping them into the sauce to finish.

My favorite sauce (which is not made all that often because I detest detail-oriented grocery shopping) is made with browned spareribs and garlic which are then braised with chopped Italian tomatoes...the sauce is finished with cut pieces of Italian sausage and the meatballs simmered in the sauce for another twenty minutes or so with some chopped oregano and parsley tossed in for the last five minutes of cooking.

Comfort food.

And it freezes well.

Ingredients for meatballs: ground pork, beef, and turkey, or only one or two of the above if that is all I have on hand; bread crumbs soaked in milk; eggs, or only egg whites if I have some that need using up; grated parmesan; minced garlic; chopped flat-leaf parley; dried basil; dried oregano; ground black pepper; cayenne; and salt.

Walnut-size meatballs. The kids like them small, one-bite.

I used to fry them in the pan before adding to the sauce, but once I tried them simply booked in the sauce, the family was hooked. They like the ultra-tender meatballs that result. Less bother for me, so I love it.

We like dried thin spaghetti.

As for sauce, I take the noodles out of the water just before it reaches al-dente stage and cook them in the sauce for about a minute or two, until ,the texture is right. I like how the sauce permeates the noodle, and never liked the look of naked noodle.

I make my own meat sauce in a large stock pan and slow cook overnight. I freeze dinner portions for later use. Did all kinds and sizes of meatballs until I observed the family seeking the larger pieces of the ground beef in the sauce that did not cook down or break up. (I brown my beef with the onions and garlic and herbs before the tomatos and tomato paste and wine go in.) So I skip making meatballs and just try to keep many pieces of the ground beef whole. Dried pasta-no angel hair or linguini- we try to find new shapes for the kids. We mix the sauce with the pasta for the kids but ladel ontop with parm or romano grated as the topper for our plates. Served with homade garlic bread (pan melted butter with minced garlic drizzled over slices of italian bread and sprinkled with dried italian seasonings, wrapped in foil and placed in oven. A hearty red for me and cold beer for hubby.

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

When I was a kid, I remember spaghetti sauce made from *gasp* a jar. Specifically, Aunt Millie's. We didn't much care for Ragu or Prego. Didn't do meatballs much, it was just ground chuck, onions, garlic, Aunt Millie's, maybe a t. of sugar, salt and that was it. Served on Ronzoni spaghetti. Obligatory Parm cheese.

I've changed since then, but every so often I get a hankering for spaghetti sauce from a jar.

Will I lose my eG badge of credibility? :blink: You be the judge.

Soba

Here, I'll add myself to the Hall of Shame.

It is even a worse perversion than yours, Soba.

My mother used to serve (fancy word there, huh?) Franco American Spagetti.

The kind in the can, no meatballs, just gooey spagetti drenched in a soupy mess of a orangy-red dyed sauce.

Every once in a rare while I get a terrible hankering for it. I buy it, trying to hide it under other things in the grocery cart.

As I approach my house, my mouth starts watering and it is all I can do to not eat the stuff cold out of the can.

A brief microwaving later and I am sated.

Adding insult to injury, it is impossible to eat this stuff without dripping or splattering it on yourself. Impossible. :laugh:

When I was a kid, I remember spaghetti sauce made from *gasp* a jar. Specifically, Aunt Millie's. We didn't much care for Ragu or Prego. Didn't do meatballs much, it was just ground chuck, onions, garlic, Aunt Millie's, maybe a t. of sugar, salt and that was it. Served on Ronzoni spaghetti. Obligatory Parm cheese.

I've changed since then, but every so often I get a hankering for spaghetti sauce from a jar.

Will I lose my eG badge of credibility? :blink: You be the judge.

Soba

not for the aunt millies, stanley but possibly for the obsession with star wars(since lord of the rings has finished) :biggrin:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Hm, Chef Boyardee. Brings back memories....heh.

I shall have to check out the ground turkey option. Hadn't considered those. Someone mentioned including sausage in their spaghetti sauce. Do you like Italian sausage? Sweet? Hot? A mix of both? Other types of sausage?

Another memory comes to mind: having spaghetti (no meatballs and no sauce) with butter and parm cheese, at seven years old. It was the first time I had seen cheese come from a can. (You have to remember that I wasn't born in the United States.)

Soba

Here, I'll add myself to the Hall of Shame.

It is even a worse perversion than yours, Soba.

My mother used to serve (fancy word there, huh?) Franco American Spagetti.

The kind in the can, no meatballs, just gooey spagetti drenched in a soupy mess of a orangy-red dyed sauce.

Every once in a rare while I get a terrible hankering for it. I buy it, trying to hide it under other things in the grocery cart.

As I approach my house, my mouth starts watering and it is all I can do to not eat the stuff cold out of the can.

A brief microwaving later and I am sated.

Adding insult to injury, it is impossible to eat this stuff without dripping or splattering it on yourself. Impossible. :laugh:

If you buy it as spagetti-os you can eat it with a spoon at your desk and no one will notice.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Another memory comes to mind:  having spaghetti (no meatballs and no sauce) with butter and parm cheese, at seven years old. 

As a kid, I went through a phase where I didn't want any sauce on my spaghetti (Mom insisted on adding mushrooms to the sauce and I was anti-mushroom at that point). I loved the simplicity of butter and parmesan (it was even the stuff from the green can :blink: ) on the pasta.

There's a chain restaurant called The Old Spaghetti Factory. They serve a dish of spaghetti with just browned butter & Mizithra cheese. It is simple and delicious. I was able to find Mizithra cheese at my local market and I use it on pasta with just butter whenever I can. :wub:

As for sausage, I prefer the hot Italian kind when I have a choice. The hotter the better for this chilehead. :wink:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Balls Fried or not , in my opinion you must have some bread added and knead the ingredients to within an inch of it's/their life to make a cohesive mixture. Use wet hands to form your balls.

What a lovely thread :biggrin:

Edited by naguere (log)

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

1. Spaghetti or pasta? For traditional "Italian-American" spaghetti & meatballs, spaghetti, preferably thick spaghetti.

Fresh or dried? Ditto, dried.

2. Meatballs? Beef? Pork? Mix of both? Beef.

Lightly seasoned? Heavily seasoned? Moderately seasoned, using fresh herbs.

with or without breadcrumbs? With breadcrumbs, or soaked bread.

3. The Sauce. Slow cooked for 20 hours like Mom used to make? From a jar? Somewhere in those ranges? Somewhere in between those ranges.

4. Toppings. With lots of grated cheese? No cheese? Pepper? Parsley? Red pepper flakes? Anchovy bread crumbs? Not lots, but a bit of freshly grated Parm-Reg. The rest is in the sauce.

5. What do you drink it with? Red wine? Beer? YES

Does this dish bring back nostalgic memories? Yes, it brings back nostalgic memories of making this for our kids.

Are your meatballs hockey puck sized? No, but they are hockey puck shaped.

Ok, discuss away.

Great topic! I don't make spaghetti and meatballs nearly as much as I used to. Actually I don't think I've made it once since living in Florida. Now I'm craving it. Gee thanks, Soba. :raz: Probably the reason I don't make it as much, second to living in the semi-tropics, is that the kids are grown and gone. I like the spaghetti and meatballs I make, but I'm not thrilled with Italian-American food in general, as much as I am with authentic Italian or Italian-style. My dad was Italian and my mom WASP, so that made for being raised in a truly Italian-American home, and they cooked spaghetti and meatballs and that sort of thing a lot. It's funny, looking back... Even with my dad Italian, we rarely had what I think of as Italian food; it was usually cooked Italian-American style.

I like Dean and Heather's idea of not frying the meatballs first, putting them right into the sauce. I'll do that next time I do make it, if I remember. What I did do, back in the day sometimes when making a big dinner of spaghetti and meatballs, was add chicken and pork into the giant pot of meatballs and sauce.

Someone mentioned adding butter on top or into the sauce... I like to add butter to the spaghetti after I drain it, and then top it with the sauce.

Owen, I too add a little tomato paste and red wine to the sauce I make. :smile:

Edited by Susan in FL (log)

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I've always liked pasta and meatballs - ever since I was a young kid, at any rate. My mother used to make them and my father still does from time to time, whether or not my folks have company. My parents have used Adda Boni's classic 1950s cookbook Il Talismano della Cucina (in an English-language edition put out by Ronzoni and plugging their products) for inspiration. Back in the day, Ronzoni or Buitoni (I preferred the consistent texture of the latter, but they were usually more expensive at the local Sloan's supermarket) dry pasta was the standby, and my preferred types of pasta were ziti or mostaccioli rigati, occasionally farfalle. The sauce was made by frying garlic and onions in olive oil, adding canned imported Italian whole tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, pepper, and dried basil and oregano (fresh basil wasn't so easily available in the west 90s of Manhattan in the early 70s), and finally, red wine (cheap stuff like Almaden was used in those days but it was still a crucial ingredient). The meatballs were made by mixing chopped meat like chuck with eggs, soaked bread, salt, pepper, I think rosemary and Italian parsley, and cinammon. It's possible I have omitted some steps, and I think that there was some celery in the sauce.

Anyway, nowadays, my father often uses some decent sauce from a place like Citarella as a starter but greatly improves it with organic canned tomatoes, fresh herbs, decent white wine (red wine has some chemical in it that he can't ingest for health reasons), freshly-ground pepper, etc. He also often uses store-bought fresh pasta nowadays. And the pregrated stuff with Sodium Propionate as a preservative was banished from my parents' apartment some ways back in the 70s when they had more disposable income. High-quality parmigiano reggiano and romano is grated to taste with the grater.

Michael aka "Pan"

We had spaghetti with lovely little meatballs, garlic bread, and a salad with beets and tomatoes for dinner tonight.

Emma helped me make the meatballs, and as I was adding them to the sauce she said it looked like I was "tucking them in their blanket of sauce." :wub:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme