• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Taillevent Merged topics

Holly Moore

This is a "black" week for the world of haute cuisine

I was very sad to know this and hope Mr. Vrinat's family will be streghthened and would be able to get through this tough times

In 2005 - during my first visit to Paris to try the 3-star Michelin in Europe, Taillevent was one of my choices. Despite many not-so-good reviews, it's very difficult for me to resist its legendary and historical richness within the world of French gastronomy. And the graciousness of Mr. Vrinat that I heard from almost all diners was the main reason why I still would give it a shot. Alas, the restaurant was full.

Now, with Mr. Vrinat forever leaving this world, I'm not sure if I would ever dine at Taillevent. I'm afraid this establishment could follow the path of La Tour d'Argent - going down the hill and soon be forgotten. I hope I'm wrong ...

Au revoir Monsieur Vrinat - the French "perfect" gentleman

M.Vrinat was indeed a perfect gentleman and a credit to his profession.

My last experience of Taillevent can be found elsewhere on this board. Unfortunately, it was not a good experience and as I noted, I wrote a pointed letter of complaint to Mr. Vrinat, stating how disappointed I was, especially in view of the excellent meal I had in 2003. I was awaiting a reply when I heard the very sad news this morning.

Mr Vrinat was, as some have said, the last of the great restaurateurs, whose job was to make people feel comfortable, at home, and to perfect the art form that is the finest of French hospitality. I remember after my dinner at Taillevent in December 2003, as a young punk kid fresh out of University, I asked whether I could interview him for an article that I was writing. An article that had no guarantee of getting published, as I had never written anything before in my life and my (then) potential editors were, understandably, a little under lukewarm about my proposal. Without asking for business cards, identification or credentials, Mr Vrinat graciously agreed, his only proviso being it would have to be in the New Year as they were booked solid for the last two days of 2003. I readily agreed.

So about 84 hours later, we returned to Taillevent on a bitterly cold morning. Mr Vrinat gave us well over an hour of his time, before taking us on a tour of the restaurant and the kitchen, where we got to meet Alain Solivérès and his crew of 19 busy doing prep for the lunchtime service. My article was published a couple of months after, and as I didn’t get the chance to see him again, I never got to tell him personally how grateful I was for his kindness. That my last contact with him was a complaint letter is something that saddens me greatly.

Many people, of whom I am but one, have been touched by the grace and elegance of Mr Vrinat. Indeed, a big reason why I was so sorely disappointed on 29 December 2007 was that my expectations were astronomical, but I realised they were so in the first place only thanks to Mr Vrinat.

My condolences and sympathies go out to Sabine and Valerie Vrinat, along with my sincerest hopes that Valerie can restore Taillevent to its rightful place.

Julian's Eating - Tales of Food and Drink

The Tour d'Argent went downhill way before the death of its owner. Taillevent is not in the same boat. They have a dedicated and professional team who will carry on in the memory of Vrinat, as he would have wanted it.

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

The first time we dined at Taillevent was in 2001. After 9/11 we received a condolence card from M. Vrinat. We have dined there several times since and always enjoyed it. Over the years there have been other cards from M. Vrinat-the latest arriving a week ago wishing us a Happy New Year. He was a very special man.

• 1 year later...

Has anyone eaten here recently since M. Vrinat passed away? Is it still good?

I will be in Paris for my honeymoon and would like to treat my fiance/future husband to a meal here as a surprise.

I know there are many other fine dining options in Paris, but I have such fond memories of eating here with my family years ago.