• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

411 Miles of I-40 To and ...

Holly Moore

In early October I'm going to be spending way too much time on I-40 between Virginia and Mississippi.

What is most frustrating is that I know I will be speeding past some great barbecue and down home cooking.

I'm pretty familiar with Nashville though open to suggestions for places I have missed. But beyond that, figuring a negotiable 20 mile radius of any I-40 exit, where are the places I have to eat: Barbecue, fried chicken, country fried steak, sausage gravy and biscuits - even burgers and dogs.

Where do I have to stop and eat?

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Brooksie's in Jackson, Tennessee.

The best barbecue ever? No. . .but if you go for the dinner buffet, one of the best values ever. And all you can eat pulled pork. It's like love on a buffet table. And their pineapple fritters are yummy.

And the tamale guy at the Jackson/Madison County farmer's market.

And Dixie Castle in Jackson. Steak and baked potatoes. That's it. And sour cream, if you get there before they run out. It's not that great, but very strange, at least for me. Plastic chairs, lineoleum floor (though they might have remodeled since the tornado).

Lordy, but my family lives in some backwards places.

Diana

Hay's Smoke House in Lexington, TN. Wonderful fellow. Former farmer who now runs the local slaughterhouse and has an excellent whole-hog barbecue operation open Thursday - Sunday. Make sure he shows you his smoker -- it is truly impressive. Highly recommended!!

Those who do not remember the pasta are doomed to reheat it.

• 3 weeks later...

Try Bozo's BBQ and /or Gus's Fried Chicken in Mason , TN (not too far from Memphis). Gus's burned down but I understand it has been re-built. There is a second Gus's in downtown Memphis now.

Harry's Detour in Memphis is just delightful. Very innovative dishes with a roots feel. Ther's on on Cooper and a second on G.E. Patterson @ S. Main.

The Memphis BBQ list can get long but try to work in ribs at Cozy Corner and the sandwich at Payne's (on Lamar - dont forget the fried pie while you're there) . Also sandwich at A&R(on Elvis Presley Blvd). Hog Wild is a caterer only and doesn't have a restaurant but if you ever get hold of their Q, you'll be awfuly happy.

Wild Bill's Blues Club on Vollintine has chittlin's if you really feel the urge, but I'm usually satisfied with excellent weekend music and 40 ounce beverages. Wiles Smythe Pharmacy in Midtown has an actual soda fountain.

Have a safe trip(s).

• 3 weeks later...