• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vidalia, 20th & M Streets NW

Malawry

I met with Chefette and Edemuth at the bar at Vidalia for drinks and snacks last night. The newly remodeled restaurant has a contemporary, slick look to it, with frosted glass covering magnolia leaves and flowers as the primary background. I didn't see the entire dining room but did get a peek at most of it. It's a cool, modern look, with off-white and sage tones accented with dark wood. Chefette admired a suspended shelf crowded with white pillar candles that hung over the one large table in the bar area.

There's an interesting wine list by the glass, including options for either small tastes or full glasses of over 20 wines. Flights of 3oz tastes are available, designed as each of the 4 or 5 wines from a single category for about $20. Seemed like a pretty good deal. The list is somewhat whimsically-written. What's on their website for "by the glass" selections is not updated (click on Vidalia to go to their list).

There are also some Southern-style bar snacks available, including pickled shrimp, hush puppies with pickled okra, and ham biscuits. (This made me rueful, since Vidalia did not have the desired ham biscuits available when Adam Balic came to visit, and he'd wanted to try them.) Naturally the regular menu is also available at the bar. There were dishes of spiced pecans and marinated olives available for snacking.

We ordered devilled eggs ($8.50) and macaroni and cheese ($5.50, I think) to share. The eggs were tasty but frankly outrageously overpriced; a serving was only three halves! They were fairly traditional, with completely smooth creamy filling. One was decorated with paprika, one with caviar, and one with some sort of housemade pickle relish. They arrived in a clover-shaped dish with three indentations, a clever presentation. Macaroni and cheese was more amply sized, an individual casserole filled with pasta in a terrific goat cheese sauce accented with truffle oil. Edemuth dunked some of the bread from our bread basket into the dish after we finished to rescue the last of the sauce; we didn't want it to go to waste.

Chefette took off later, but Edemuth and I were still peckish so we agreed to order more food. She selected the Georgia pecan pie with praline ice cream from the dessert menu, while I ordered the fried chicken drumsticks with cream gravy off of the bar menu. The pie looked more like a tart when it came out, with a thick gooey layer of that separated dark pecan-pie custard topped with a substantial layer of crunchy pecans. The ice cream was situated to the side and accented with chewy-crisp bits of candy. A beaker of dark, rich chocolate sauce was served on the side (a good thing, since Edemuth and I both believe that pecan pie should not be dredged in chocolate sauce). The sauce was thick enough that when she poured some of it onto her plate, I picked up a taste using the tines of my fork and the indentations from the tines remained visible for several seconds. The chicken drumsticks were hot, juicy and crisp around the edges, served with a thin but very flavorful cream gravy that tasted as though it were enriched with deeply concentrated chicken stock.

By the way, the full menu has undergone some redevelopment. I didn't study it intensely but I noted that they revamped most of the entrees. They have retained some of the old favorites like the vidalia-and-cheese-casserole side dish. The macaroni is available as a side dish as well.

Laura Bush was eating there last night. Chefette exchanged a small smile with her on the street before they entered.

Has anybody else been there since they reopened?

• 1 month later...

Tom Sietsema agrees with my assessment of the mac 'n cheese in Sunday's review, which was posted today: It doesn't suck.

Went there for my birthday dinner on a Tuesday in September. The host was about to seat us at a "nice" table when he re-directed us to a "not-as-nice" table, commenting that the other table was reserved. A bit of an off-putting start to the meal. The food and service were good, but the atmosphere was a little cold. Seemed more suitable for a business dinner.

Melani

Melani Spiegel

What did you eat, Melani?

I had the big ol' pork chop. It was mammoth and very tasty, but the turnip greens were the real highlight of the plate, IMO. I didn't really care for the sweet potato souffle--it was too sweet and didn't have much sweet potato flavor. My boyfriend had the shrimp and grits. The shrimp where phenomenal--some of the biggest and tastiest we'd ever eaten. We had the mac 'n cheese on the side. It was of the creamy rather than the cheesey variety but addictive nonetheless; must be the truffle oil. Had the pecan pie for dessert, and I agree the chocolate sauce was unnecessary.

Melani Spiegel

Went in a couple of weeks ago to give it a go, and I wasn't disappointed. I still haven't been in for a full meal, but I had some bar menu stuff. The trout was a really well seasoned fillet, my only objection was that the cole slaw was diced in a brunoisse instead of julianned or shreded. I'm a southern purist on this point. The hush puppies had a nice texture, and the custard brulee was devine with a bit of black pepper ground into the sugar before caramelizing. Doug, the wine director, has done a good job of compiling an interesting list, especially heavy in Terry Theise wines (happy about that). I was also extremely happy with the cheese selection, and the clever cheese menu. Charles (the waiter who handles the cheese presentation) was very knowledgeable. I'll definitely be back in sooner than later.

I stopped in Sunday night with friends and sat at the bar. The renovation is really stunning and dramatic. Crab soup was tasty. Sweatbreads were ordered in two different preparations and were sensational. I found a Martinelli chardonnay that was quite good. These are very hard to get a hold of. I can't wait to go back and try more things.

Mark

I too went last week.

I really like the new room. Warm and inviting, kind of sleek and modern looking. Had the veal cheeks with grits, crabcakes, and the veal cheeks with grits.

The wine list there is pretty exciting. Lots of rieslings, a dozen or more gruners, all pretty reasonably priced. We drank a St. Laurent (red from Austria) and a nebbiolo/barbera blend from CA that they sold for under 30 beans.

I was impressed, look forward to having a full meal there soon.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

• 1 month later...

Wife and I went for the first time last night, so I can't compare it to its previous state, but I did like the room although it is less fussy than I would have anticipated (this is a good thing in my book).

For starters we went with the cream of crab soup and the five onion soup (it was a soup type of night). Both were very, very good, but as I mentioned in the soup thread, not as heary and satisfying as you would want on a night when the soup would probably freeze after about two minutes outside.

Our entrees were the stars of the night. Jenrus had the shrimp and grits and I had the Rockfish File sautéed with succotash of butterbeans, lobster, pearl onions, corn, bacon and dumpling squash. The shrimp and grits were one of the best shrimp dishes I have tasted (and all I was allowed was a taste). The rockfish was crisped perfectly and the succotash made up for the heartiness and satisfaction missing in the soups. Although the lobster was a little out of place and didn't add much to the overall dish.

The desserts were a disappoinment. I am not a big fan of most pies but, given that, perhaps my two favorite desserts Pecan Pie and Lemon Chess Pie. We ordered one of each to split. They were both overwhelmingly sweet, and we both like fairly sweet desserts. I would have expected a place that serves sophisticated Southern tinged food to have a more nuanced version of these two items.

I am normally not someone who pays much attention to service, but last night the service was particularly slow and inattentive. I don't like having someone on top mf me all the time, but when we are obviously ready to order or to get our bill, I expect to have someone within eyeshot to check if we are ready.

In sum, the entrees and soups were good enough to make this a nice meal, but I expected more. It was the best meal we have had so far this year, but look at the calendar to see that that is not particularly high praise.

Edited by bilrus (log)

Bill Russell

• 2 weeks later...

Liamdc, Mazman, and I went to Vidalia last night with 2 other friends to check out the renovation and new menu. We arrived around 6pm, and were promptly seated, without reservations, at a nice table in the bar area. Having not been to Vidalia in 10 years (I went there for prom!), I was incredibly impressed by the beautiful new look--it's really quite stunning.

We wanted to try a variety of dishes, so decided to share some appetizers, entrees and desserts. Here's what we had:

Grillades and Grits

braised veal cheeks with creamy grits, tasso ham, tomato, green onion and filé cream 11.50

Shady Lane Salad

field lettuce with fresh herbs, candied country ham, boiled egg, capers, sweet onions and verjus vinaigrette 9.75

Crab Cakes

jumbo lump crab meat with cilantro-pepper slaw and old bay spiced mustard sauce 13.00

Shrimp and Grits

sautéed shrimp with sweet onion ragout, yellow corn grits and shrimp cream sauce 27.50

Rockfish File

tsautéed with succotash of butterbeans, lobster, pearl onions, corn, bacon and dumpling squash 26.75

Corn Meal Hushpuppies 4.25

Baked Truffled Macaroni and Goat Cheese 5.50

Vidalia's Lemon Chess Pie

a buttery crust filled with rich lemon custard garnished with berry purée and sweet cream 8.50

Coconut Cream Cake

toasted coconut crusted rum cream torte with glazedpineapple and dark chocolate ice cream 9.00

Southern Sandwich

peanut butter mousse between midnight kahlua cake, roasted banana ice cream and creole fruit sauce 8.75

The standouts were definitely the grillades and grits, the crab cakes, the mac n cheese, the hushpuppies, and the lemon chess pie (there were near fights over bites of this incredible dessert that was reminiscent of my grandma's lemon meringue pie!). But the high quality of the all of the dishes was impressive. I especially loved the accompanying bread basket with perfectly moist cornbread and fluffy biscuits. Certainly, the high prices of some of these dishes was a bit disconcerting, given that I've enjoyed cheaper wonderful Southern food at places like Crooks Corner in Chapel Hill, Herbsaint in New Orleans or any number of smaller joints around the south, but really, this was such a good meal that the splurge felt completely worthwhile. The service was immpecable--appropriately friendly, professional, courteous, and the little touches--such as a lovely french press decaf coffee--were just right. Vidalia's definitely on my short list for future DC visits.

We had a bottle and a half of wine as well, but the names didn't make it home with me, so I assume mazman and liam will fill that info in later.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Happy Birthday, Sara! (if you were serious on nectar thread)

Sara's right here and says thank you thank you!! (I get to enjoy dinner w/ her and Mazman tonite, lucky me!). :biggrin:

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic

• 2 months later...

I had such a mediocre experience the one time I have been to Vidalia. Not sure if it was pre or post renovation though.

We were at a tiny table against the wall and the maitre de kept leaning over our table fiddling with the air conditioner controls that were at head level right across from our table. He had to take the cover off and dust was falling on the table.

Besides that mess, though I was also not impressed with the food and have had better meals for a more reasonable price at Georgia Browns. We had a pretty poor shrimp & grits and an ok duck. The duck was cooked nice and red center but the skin was not crispy....nothing like sucking down a bunch of limp fat.

• 3 weeks later...

Lunch this week at Vidalia. I like the restaurant a lot, especially because it is near where I tend to be in DC and open for lunch. It's also very reasonably priced.

Appetizer: "Grillades and Grits - braised veal cheek with creamy grits, tasso ham, tomato, green onion and file cream." Okay, but not great. I thought it was too salty--probably the ham. And I didn't think that the cream went with the rest of the dish. Delicious braised veal, though.

Main: "Spiced Pork Sandwich - slow cooked barbecue port shoulder served open face with toasted cornbread, avocado and black bean relish." The relish was a mixture of corm, black beans, onions, and tomato. Yummy barbecue sauce; tasty pulled pork.

Cost was $30, including a drink, tax, and tip. And the whole meal took less than an hour.

Bruce

I went to the wine tasting the other week and they had South African wines. The guy (forgot his name) doing the tasting was very friendly and would spend time explaining the various wines he selected to everyone interested. They had a few items to munch on while tasting. Check it out if you are free on Tuesday nights.

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.

• 4 months later...

DH & I are celebrating an anniversary at Vidalia shortly. Never eaten there -- menu looks lovely, I was wondering if any 'gulleteers had any favorite dishes to recommend?

Thanks!

"What, after all, is more seductive than the prospect of sinning in libraries?"

Michael Dirda, An Open Book

DH & I are celebrating an anniversary at Vidalia shortly. Never eaten there -- menu looks lovely, I was wondering if any 'gulleteers had any favorite dishes to recommend?

Thanks!

Veal cheeks and grits.

Order early and often.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

DH & I are celebrating an anniversary at Vidalia shortly.  Never eaten there -- menu looks lovely, I was wondering if any 'gulleteers had any favorite dishes to recommend?

Thanks!

Veal cheeks and grits.

Order early and often.

Make sure you talk to Doug, the wine dude.

Mark

DH & I are celebrating an anniversary at Vidalia shortly.  Never eaten there -- menu looks lovely, I was wondering if any 'gulleteers had any favorite dishes to recommend?

Thanks!

Veal cheeks and grits.

Order early and often.

this *&%^%$&%*&%*&^ has beat me to the punch. but an order of those gelatinous gems (now are gems gelatinous...? probably not... unless they were hot) will surely be something to celebrate next year on your anniversary; goodbye wedding celebration - hello veal cheeks.

there is no love sincerer than the love of food

- george bernard shaw

i feel like love is in the kitchen with a culinary eye, think she's making something special and i'm smart enough to try

- interpol