• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

San Francisco Restaurant Reviews & Recommendations

Gil

We just got back from a long weekend in San Francisco and can highly recommend the following places for dinner...

Canteen - stellar food in an "interesting"space...i.e. an old coffee shop.

A 16 - been here before and will go again, it's so good and the wine list is great as well.

Incanto - would love to have a place like this in NY...great salumi, best service of the trip.

We also lunched at the brand new Water Bar, which, while a stunning space, was less than inspiring food-wise.  Swan was packed the couple of times we went by, so we didn't get to eat there on this trip.

I've been hearing so many recs for Canteen. We tried to get a reso in Nov but left it too late, so I'm getting my dibs in early for our April trip :biggrin:

Note to ALANBF: Canteen is tiny and popular, and has three seatings per night at 6, 7:30 and 9:15 (not open Sun or Mon). They do a lunch service during the week and brunch on Sat and Sun (no resos for brunch or lunch).

Have also heard raves for Incanto and A16. Thanks for the heads up on the Water Bar. Views/atmos are great, but I'm there for the food!

I haven't heard of Swan -- can you fill me/us in?

Edited by grayelf (log)

One of the better meals I had in san fran was at Crudo.

No surprise to hear that from a New Yorker. Bar Crudo is a NYC restaurant transplanted into San Francisco.

Good to hear from you, Melkor! You were an unwittingly large contributor to my SF restaurant list, so thanks. Anything in the way of updates/tried and trues/mustn't misses you'd care to share?

Good to hear from you, Melkor! You were an unwittingly large contributor to my SF restaurant list, so thanks. Anything in the way of updates/tried and trues/mustn't misses you'd care to share?

Lots of good dives and taco trucks. Stay away from the tourist-focused food factories and chains and you'll be fine.

I haven't heard of Swan -- can you fill me/us in?

Swan's Oyster Bar is one of the oldest establishments in the city. It is a small bar seating-only restaurant which is only open for lunch and there is always a line. I much prefer Swan to the more famous Hog Island Oyster Bar both for quality of fish, atmosphere, and because I really hate Hog Island's hog-wash.

We were in SF two weeks ago.

Second (or third) the Incanto suggestion.

We also had a great meal at Spruce.

Also check out www.nvwe.com for wine and the farmers market at the Ferry Building (great cheeses and local bites for lunch grazing).

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Last night, while extremely jet lagged from my trip to Barcelona, a native took me to a restaurant inside the Hotel Palomar: the Fifth Floor. It was outstanding French fare and one of the best bread services I have ever had. Highly recommended. I have been trying to find information but I have not found much. I loved it in spite of being very tired.

• 1 month later...
Lots of good dives and taco trucks.  Stay away from the tourist-focused food factories and chains and you'll be fine.

We'll but in San Francisco in the end of April and we enjoy "good dives" and "Taco trucks." Any specifics??

Cooking is like love, it should be entered into with abandon, or not at all.

Lots of good dives and taco trucks.  Stay away from the tourist-focused food factories and chains and you'll be fine.

We'll but in San Francisco in the end of April and we enjoy "good dives" and "Taco trucks." Any specifics??

I'm quite fond of El Farolito (sp?). I go to one of the East Bay locations but they also have at least 1 location in the Mission district.

Cheryl

The Tonayense truck at 19th and Harrison has reasonably good tacos, the cabeza is my favorite there. Torta Boos Voni‎ near the end of Mission has incredible good barbacoa tacos on the weekend, their tortas are also great (but HUGE) and they're available all week. If you're up for going across the bridge, the two Sinaloa trucks at 22nd and International in Oakland are great - one has ceviche the other has great tacos. From the taco trucks in Oakland you can head to the Fruitvale BART station and get churros - they're only worth getting if the woman at the cart is making them fresh. Right next to the churro cart is a great ice cream shop. Other dives around SF worth checking out are Shin Toe Bul Yi (Korean fried chicken), Shalimar (the one on Jones for Pakistani), the Thai Temple in Burlingame (Saturdays only), Pagolac (Vietnamese), Wrap Delight (Banh Mi)...

One of the better meals I had in san fran was at Crudo.

No surprise to hear that from a New Yorker. Bar Crudo is a NYC restaurant transplanted into San Francisco.

Considering you know nothing about me, considering I have eaten and enjoyed restaurants in every state of this country and around the entire world, considering its pretty ignorant to group a people together, I am confused by this statement..

I am also confused by the statement because you show how little you know about New York and its varied cuisine. Please name me 10 out of the 20,000 restaurants in New York City that Bar Crudo is like..

The restaurant serves amazingly fresh fish, they use wonderful ingrediants like Banyuls Vinegar.. She poaches mussles beautifully, you can sit and talk with the staff, and they have hands down the best chowder I have ever tasted.. How surpisingly New York all of this is!

Edited by Daniel (log)

Considering you know nothing about me, considering I have eaten and enjoyed restaurants in every state of this country and around the entire world, considering its pretty ignorant to group a people together, I am confused by this statement.. 

I am also confused by the statement because you show how little you know about New York and its varied cuisine.  Please name me 10 out of the 20,000 restaurants in New York City that Bar Crudo is like..

The restaurant serves amazingly fresh fish, they use wonderful ingrediants like Banyuls Vinegar.. She poaches mussles beautifully, you can sit and talk with the staff, and they have hands down the best chowder I have ever tasted.. How surpisingly New York all of this is!

Relax, there's nothing wrong with Bar Crudo - my point was that the space, service, and menu are more similar to what I've found in NY than other SF restaurants offer. Much like Blue Hill is more similar to San Francisco cuisine than most NY restaurants.

Edited by melkor (log)

I guess it was your wording.. But I truly feel there is nothing like Bar Crudo in New York.. Esca would be something that comes closest.. In terms of service, I sat at the bar and spoke with the owner/chef the whole night.. So, I didnt have a chance to see the restaurant or experience the service.. But to say something is very New York, can only be said by someone who doesnt spend much time there..

I guess it was your wording.. But I truly feel there is nothing like Bar Crudo in New York.. Esca would be something that comes closest.. In terms of service, I sat at the bar and spoke with the owner/chef the whole night.. So, I didnt have a chance to see the restaurant or experience the service.. But to say something is very New York, can only be said by someone who doesnt spend much time there..

Or perhaps I said it because very few restaurants in SF serve anything they call crudo and I see it on the menu quite often when I eat in NY.

i lived there several years ago and often dream of the best ice cream i've ever had at Mitchell's Ice Cream on 29th and San Jose...

Mitchell is good....but if you want the best ice cream in SF, you got to try Bi-Rite Creamery.

The Ferry Building would be a fun place to visit where you can sample a variety of goods.

As for restaurants, there are just so many great ones. It all depends on what you're looking for. Yelp is a good place to read locals' reviews. You can search restaurants by price, cuisine, rating and neighborhood.

Have a great time when you're here! :raz:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everybody!

Well..this is my first post here and I figured what better place to gather up some good restaurant references for foodie-haven San Francisco than the knowledgable bunch here at egullet!

So here's the deal. Me and a galpal are going to SF from May 15-19th- I love to eat, she loves to drink. We've got 4 days to gorge ourselves silly and we're looking for a good mix of dining options - great cafes, cheap eats, fine dining, mom&pop joints, wine bars, etc...

Wadda ya say guys? Help a girl out? :rolleyes:

if you are staying close to union square, one of my favorite wine bars is a short 10 minute walk (or so). . .it's called the hidden vine

Yes we're staying less than two blocks from Union Square. Just checked out their website & noticed they carry stuff from Cowgirl Creamery!

Will definately be checking it out. Thanks VenerableBede!

• 1 year later...
Anything new or just really good and old-- for an August trip to San Francisco?

Considering that California's unemployment rate is more than 11% and that there are news reports of stalwart restaurants like Aqua losing 80%-90% of its staff, I would be hesitant to recommend anything this far in advance, but I'd hazard to guess that my consistent top five will still be around:

Aziza

Coi

Ame

Swan's Oyster Bar

Canteen

Considering that California's unemployment rate is more than 11% and that there are news reports of stalwart restaurants like Aqua losing 80%-90% of its staff, I would be hesitant to recommend anything this far in advance, but I'd hazard to guess that my consistent top five will still be around:

Aziza

Coi

Ame

Swan's Oyster Bar

Canteen

Yikes, so does that mean that Aqua shouldn't be considered at this moment?

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Aziza

Coi

Ame

Swan's Oyster Bar

Canteen

Yikes, so does that mean that Aqua shouldn't be considered at this moment?

I was supposed to go last Thursday. And I didn't.... Even if they have been successful in replacing their staff this quickly, it is going to take them some time to iron out the wrinkles and get them working as a cohesive group. I'll reconsider going in the Fall, but not now.