• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

San Francisco Restaurant Reviews & Recommendations

Gil

Another vote for the Dining Room at the Ritz. We like Gary Danko, but our last meal at the Dining Room blew all our Danko experiences out of the water. Danko is a good, solid experience, but the Dining Room is something really special.

Slanted Door would not be my pick. I didn't really enjoy the food when we were there a few months ago. It seems to have turned into somewhat a tourist trap.

That's too bad to hear... any others out there who have recent reports?

I haven't been to Boulevard or Farallone lately, but have really enjoyed the excellent food there before.

Have read about Farallone - and looks promising - but have never heard of Boulevard. Any eGulleter's with recent insight?

I haven't been to either but have heard great things abour the Dining Room at Ritz and Michael Mina at the St. Francis.

It's becoming quickly apparent to me that Dining Room at the Ritz is the must. Oh, yes, and I forgot about Mina. Any reports?

Sidenote: Since you're heading to Napa Valley.....I had one of the best meal ever at La Toque in Rutherford 2 years ago. The quality and quantity of food you get for the $98 pre fixe is well worth the price. But do watch out for the wine prices. We got 2 glasses of wine last time and they costed about $90. And they were on the lower end of the price scale....

Thanks, i'll keep La Toque in mind!

Cheers.

U.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I had a great meal at Postrio (in the Hotel Prescottwhere I was staying-nice place, I highly reccomend it). Really good, as a matter of fact. Service was great, food was better, and the night that I ate there it was probably like serving a zombie, as I was completely exhausted.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I'd skip both the Slanted Door and Mina. Boulevard like Gary Danko is on cruise control - they're both keeping the dining room full by providing excellent service and a reliable menu. The menu at Danko hasn't changed in years. It isn't that the food isn't good, it's more that it isn't compelling. Boulevard has a slightly more varied menu and Danko has better service - but I'd recommend passing on both of them. Quince is much better. If you are looking for something more rustic Incanto is excellent.

In general, San Francisco's culinary strength isn't at the high end - The French Laundry, Manresa, La Toque, etc are all much better than anything available in SF itself. If you like sushi, Takara, Ino, and Kiss are worth considering - all of them are excellent, though you'll have a very different experience at each.

If you like sushi, Takara, Ino, and Kiss are worth considering - all of them are excellent, though you'll have a very different experience at each.

I second Takara. I love the amiebi (sweet shrimp) nigiri. They are the freshest around. There's a tank of them outside and they are fished out to order!

I second the recommendation for Quince. Two great meals there in the last year and half, and I'm looking forward to the next one. The quality of the ingredients is top notch and, for my taste, there are many interesting and appealing dishes to choose from. Three of us agreed on one night, that the halibut dish was the best halibut in quality and prep that we had ever tasted. The homemade pastas are excellent.

Here is a link to a sample dinner menu: click

Delicious desserts as well.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I second the recommendation for Quince.  Two great meals there in the last year and half, and I'm looking forward to the next one.  The quality of the ingredients is top notch and, for my taste, there are many interesting and appealing dishes to choose from.  Three of us agreed on one night, that the halibut dish was the best halibut in quality and prep that we had ever tasted.  The homemade pastas are excellent.

Thanks ludja!

These are all great suggestions... one problem is that I may not have a car as I'll be skirting up to Napa with (local) friends. The extra night is when I return from the Valley and will be leaving the next day (so there's no sense to rent). So, I need suggestions that are relatively accessible by public transport/taxi from the downtown area.

Also, would love to hear more about Incanto.

Cheers.

Ulterior Epicure.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I second the recommendation for Quince.  Two great meals there in the last year and half, and I'm looking forward to the next one.  The quality of the ingredients is top notch and, for my taste, there are many interesting and appealing dishes to choose from.  Three of us agreed on one night, that the halibut dish was the best halibut in quality and prep that we had ever tasted.  The homemade pastas are excellent.

That menu does look preetttty enticing.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

• 1 month later...

I might be moving to San Francisco and I was wondering what everyone's "Top 5" restaurants or Dining establishments were?

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

it looks like from your blog you are also a cook. so, are you asking your question with the intention of trying to work at one of these places?

sometimes, just because people like to eat someplace doesn't mean it is going to be a place where you can learn a lot culinarily...

edited for grammar

Edited by alanamoana (log)

This is by no mean a list of the "Top 5" restaurants in San Francisco/Bay Area, just a list of restaurants that I've enjoyed the food and service each and every time I've been there.

Jardiniere

Boulevard

Postrio

Chouchou

La Toque (Youthville - wine country)

I rarely eat in the city, but my "Bay Area" Top 5 for now....

1) Zazu (Santa Rosa)

2) Cyrus (Healdsburg)

3) Picco (Larkspur)

4) Manresa (South Bay)

5) Chez Panisse Cafe (sounds like a cliche choice, but my last 5 or 6 meals there have been near perfect)

Ian W

Former Chef / Partner, Cafe La Terre and Bistro V Express

Sebastopol, CA

Currently living the culinary dream in South East Asia.

My favorites...

A16

Emmy's

Quince

Michael Mina

Tu Lan

These are unranked, because they are all over the map WRT price and ambience.

BTW, I have been to The French Laundry, and while it's up there, I have to say from a sheer enjoyment perspective (including food, service, value, comfort), it doesn't crack my top 5.

Wow---- only 5?

Postrio (had wedding reception there...)

Fleur de Lys

Faralon

Mc Cormick & Kuleto's Seafood

Izzy's Steaks and Chops

hvr

"Cogito Ergo Dim Sum; Therefore I think these are Pork Buns"

hvrobinson@sbcglobal.net

Best is such a subjective term ... my list may not be best as in highest-end or most sophisticated, but rather places I most enjoy and frequent (or would like to frequent more than I do), in no particular order:

Aziza

Delfina

Range

Incanto

Aqua

Hedonia

Eating, drinking and living the good life in San Francisco

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Husband leaves tomorrow for business trip in San Franciso. Last minute, of course, needs suggestions for great places to eat, representative of the area preferred. Too late for Chez Panisse, I said, plus you can't go there with out me. Any ideas? Money isn't too big a problem this time around, lucky him.

Husband leaves tomorrow for business trip in San Franciso.  Last minute, of course, needs suggestions for great places to eat, representative of the area preferred.  Too late for Chez Panisse, I said, plus you can't go there with out me.  Any ideas?  Money isn't too big a problem this time around, lucky him.

Is he going there alone? That probably makes a difference in the kinds of suggestions that would be best.

Also helpful would be the part of the city he'll be in, transportation options and some general preferences. There are so mnay options... Also, depending where he's traveling from, we may be able to suggest things are more unique to here or not as easily available from where he's traveling from... :smile:

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Husband leaves tomorrow for business trip in San Franciso.  Last minute, of course, needs suggestions for great places to eat, representative of the area preferred.  Too late for Chez Panisse, I said, plus you can't go there with out me.  Any ideas?  Money isn't too big a problem this time around, lucky him.

Is he going there alone? That probably makes a difference in the kinds of suggestions that would be best.

Dinner with business associates, who he'd like to impress, I'm sure. They have the ability to move around they city, so I don't think location is desparately critical.

Also helpful would be the part of the city he'll be in, transportation options and some general preferences. There are so mnay options... Also, depending where he's traveling from, we may be able to suggest things are more unique to here or not as easily available from where he's traveling from... :smile:

[/quot

Honestly, he can travel thru the city, so I just need a few good options. I'm from the East Coast, we're now living in the midwest (sigh...I miss really good oysters). So, just throw out a few good thoughts. His company can afford it, so lets throw their money their way!!! Let's go with our American Cuisine!!! Any thoughts?