• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jaccarding Meat: Tenderizing by Piercing

albie

Avaserfi,

Reasons:

I have two steaks, one Jaccarded and one not.. I will see if this creates any different texture, yes I plan on salting/ Jaccarding and resting.

I plan on topping the two with a bit of Mater'd butter ( sp ), see if I get any different flavor profile too.

Cheers

Thanks for the chime..

Paul

Its good to have Morels

Nickrey..

Very nice with the scientific data !!

First.. I designed this SS flat top to use as a multi-task ( Pizza cooking and high fat content meat ) I use it on my Summit Weber.

See here: 300 degrees flat top ..confirmed with an IR thermometer

5586699025_7c015b1fe2.jpg

The final cut:

5587304746_031369dc7c.jpg

The top pc of beef had been jaccarded.. let me tell you.. I would never do it again with this cut of beef!! way to mealy

Its good to have Morels

I know what you mean by "mealy." I had the basic steak frites at Les Halles last week, and I know they use one of the chewier French cuts for that as would be used in an authentic Parisian bistro, but it had that texture of meat that's been Jaccarded or tenderized in some way.

The top pc of beef had been jaccarded.. let me tell you.. I would never do it again with this cut of beef!! way to mealy

My cut was topside, which is something more equivalent to US round. I agree with you on the tender cuts, they are fine just as they are.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

• 2 weeks later...

My last experiment didn't work so well but this excites me!!

5611406387_1298cbca80.jpg

So again.. working with the Jaccarding Tool!!

So tomorrow.. Im going to make pork tenderloins.. using center cut pork loin which I jaccarded in each direction .. with a dry rub of granulated garlic, Malabar pepper and a bit of cayenne pepper..

Tomorrow I will add a bit of salt jaccard and bread and fry.. Oh you have to love a good breaded pork tenderloin!!

More tomorrow!!

Its good to have Morels

Jeff..

This is one lethal tool.. BTW

5612482651_5ae7aebde8.jpg

5613063128_1c5bd2c32d.jpg

I bought it from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Jaccard-200348-Supertendermatic-48-Blade-Tenderizer/dp/B001347JK6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302608284&sr=8-1

I have had the store do my pork before, but with their machine it turns it almost mushy.. so I hope this method will retain some texture for my schnitzel, I have usually just pounded it out, but I want a bit thicker one tonight. Plus injecting flavor to the interior w/o a brine.

Paul

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)

Its good to have Morels

You certainly don't want to grab that by the business end! OUCH!

I've bought meat that's been "punched" by the buther. Usually, for making chicken fried steak. But have also bought veal that's been done that way to make veal cutlets. I like your idea of using it for pork, too. Just buy thin sliced boneless pork chops and then use that device. I could do the same with steak. By thin cheap steaks and make CFS from that. Or get a round steak and slice pieces and use those.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Jeff,

Couple things.. yes I touched the business!! That hurt like heck!!

This was an amazing sandwich

I have done pork sandwiches

1) Pounded tenderloin

2) Pounded Shoulder

3) Pounded loins

4) Commercial Jaccarded loins

But this way has to be the best textured cutlet sandwich, I have ever made !! I did my F ( Flour )-E ( Egg )-B ( Breading ) method.. then in Corn Flakes which I pounded!! In canola oil @ 350

5614211443_87800a9668.jpg

Its good to have Morels

never thought about using this to get salt or anything in, but I use my tool on leaner cuts and it works very well. I read somewhere (here? I think?) that even places like Ruth Chris run their meats through a machine that does this. I've never been at a steak house, but maybe somebody here worked there and can shine some light?

I'd not have used it on that fine cut above, but thanks for experimenting for us :laugh:

One concern seems to be that you push any possible surface contamination into the meat, and if you cook it slow and to rare or med rare, you might create a heavenly edible petri dish that might make you quite sick. That has not happened to me (and I'm certainly not Mr Clean in the kitchen, or anywhere else) but it seems to make sense.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

If you look closely at the fat cap of steaks sold at Costco you'll see tiny holes where they've ran it through a jacarder... It's pretty common practice whether you realize it or not.

To this point, I am surprised that Paul found such an issue with the Jaccarded steak; to me, my "complaint" about using it on tender meat is that I don't really notice a difference.

Paul - how much did you jaccard it? I usually just do one pass over (i.e. each area of the steak only gets one press).

BMDaniel,

I did a cross hatch on both sides, so about three passes ,four ways to cover both sides. Possibly to much? But I think for wagyu , not the way to go.

BTW.. This breaded pork cutlet was tender and juicy, great texture to bite thru, after jaccarding.

Cheers

technophile50.. I kind like the jaccarding marinade idea.. would it inhibit Bacteria, I'm not sure ethanol, can do that, possibly a little, we can't use it as a disinfectant at the office,but now the acidity ?

Paul

Its good to have Morels

you might have overdone it there. I usually go across once on each side, always cutting across the fibers. For thinner cuts like flank steak I only go over once on one side.

As for the disinfecting with marinade, I doubt you can do that, the tiny amount you'd press in there would not do much at all. But your meat should be fine on the inside (hopefully!!) anyway. If really concerned, wash the outside, dry it off, if really concerned you could even brown it quickly and then jaccard it and cook it as you like, but I think that's overkill.

I'm not even sure a marinade would penetrate much, it's not like you're leaving gaping holes with that tool, just narrow slits that usually close up right away again.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

you might have overdone it there. I usually go across once on each side, always cutting across the fibers. For thinner cuts like flank steak I only go over once on one side.

As for the disinfecting with marinade, I doubt you can do that, the tiny amount you'd press in there would not do much at all. But your meat should be fine on the inside (hopefully!!) anyway. If really concerned, wash the outside, dry it off, if really concerned you could even brown it quickly and then jaccard it and cook it as you like, but I think that's overkill.

I'm not even sure a marinade would penetrate much, it's not like you're leaving gaping holes with that tool, just narrow slits that usually close up right away again.

Modernist Cuisine suggests that jaccarding after applying marinade does significantly enhance marinade uptake.

ojisan..

" beating of the meat "

Works well, I'm sure. I just don't like the change in dimension, ie flattens the cut? For steak I would prefer to keep the thickness.

I do like that thing for making uniform thickness in cuts, and that thing looks pretty nice, usually I use to bottom of a pan or mallet. :wacko:

Cheers

Its good to have Morels

• 2 weeks later...